A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

Default CSN Twitter: Hunter the Punter Released, Sam Paulescu signed

@CHICKatCSN
    Redskins signed Punter Sam Paulescu today, Hunter Smith is released. Paulescu who was with Skins last season for a bit will also be the Holder.
    OK, I didn't see this coming. I would have expected Gano to be gone before Smith. There goes my longshot prediction for the Dallas game. Thought sure we'd run some type of fake with Hunter.....just NOT the swinging gate.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    @CHICKatCSN

OK, I didn't see this coming. I would have expected Gano to be gone before Smith. There goes my longshot prediction for the Dallas game. Thought sure we'd run some type of fake with Hunter.....just NOT the swinging gate.

that was my first thought also! followed by "what the heck!"
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Good! It seemed like he was allergic to putting it inside the twenty. I could be wrong on this, but that was my perception.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

No, I think you're spot on Omni. He was having a bad year, and I think the snap that went right through his hands was the last straw.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Let's see, a guy who misses 2 short field goals stays and the guy who missed 1 high snap is canned. Scapegoat time!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    James Madison

Listen, Gano is young, Hunter is not. If they feel there is a chance they want to bring one of them back to camp next, with competition, I'd rather they keep the young Gano than the old Hunter.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think kickers are over looked in this league. It would be great if Paulescu shined in these last three games. As bad as our offense is, it would be nice to have a Shane Lechler type punter for the next ten years. Pin them back deep into their own territory. One would hope Paulescu could become that guy.

As far as Gano, I don't know, but, I think we should keep him. Many great kickers started somewhere else (other than their first team) and they have gone on to do great things. Just look at David Akers.

Gano has hit 68.8% of his field goals this year. Shanny has even attributed some of those misses to poor snaps and handling. Now, Lohmiller's lowest year was 57.1%. Including that he only averaged 71.8% of his kicks. How about Mark Moseley? He was cut by two different teams prior to the Skins. He only averaged 65.6% in his career. He was money in 1982 with a 95.2%, other than that he was sub/below-par.

Of course, I am a bit younger and only going by stats. Some of the older guys could school me on Moseley. But, his percentage does not back him up.

I am not a big stats guy, but stats matter with kickers.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by the Omniscient View Post
    Good! It seemed like he was allergic to putting it inside the twenty. I could be wrong on this, but that was my perception.
    No, you nailed it. And it didn't matter from which part of the field he was punting from either. He definately slid since the last time he was on the team

I think kickers are over looked in this league. It would be great if Paulescu shined in these last three games. As bad as our offense is, it would be nice to have a Shane Lechler type punter for the next ten years. Pin them back deep into their own territory. One would hope Paulescu could become that guy.

As far as Gano, I don't know, but, I think we should keep him. Many great kickers started somewhere else (other than their first team) and they have gone on to do great things. Just look at David Akers.

Gano has hit 68.8% of his field goals this year. Shanny has even attributed some of those misses to poor snaps and handling. Now, Lohmiller's lowest year was 57.1%. Including that he only averaged 71.8% of his kicks. How about Mark Moseley? He was cut by two different teams prior to the Skins. He only averaged 65.6% in his career. He was money in 1982 with a 95.2%, other than that he was sub/below-par.

Of course, I am a bit younger and only going by stats. Some of the older guys could school me on Moseley. But, his percentage does not back him up.

If only we had kept Ackers
    0 0 0 0

Formerly known as ...............Sarge

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Florida State

I'd like to see the long snapper go.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by McD5 View Post
    I'd like to see the long snapper go.
    Yeah, we've got all those old dudes but couldn't resign ALbright?
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    Marine Corps Virginia

I didn't see the replay, but at the game it looked like it was just an awful snap. Not a big fan of cutting players for a single game performance in general. I will say that Hunter did not punt well at all although it got better as the game progressed. The TB punter was booming them, but Smith? Not so much. As for the botched extra point, I'm surprised Smith is left holding the bag for that as it looked to me like a totally botched snap. And at least one of the two missed FG's appeared from the stands to have been a low snap as well. So if anyone was going to get gone, I'd not have thought it would be a kicker.
    0 0 0 0

Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

You ain't bonafide

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The snap was high Boone, but manageable. It should have been put in place for Gano. It was Sundberg and Hunter's fault.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dude Moseley led the league in scoring one season and..if memory serves...won the league MVP as a kicker!!!!
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and let's not forget the snapper!
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    dude Moseley led the league in scoring one season and..if memory serves...won the league MVP as a kicker!!!!
    That was 1982, which I gave him credit for. Outside of that, what did he do? A 65% field goal percentage is not that great. That 65% includes his MVP year. That MVP year was also a strike shortened year. Also, in all time career field goal percentage, he ranks #108.

I never watched the guy kick, and can only go by his stats. If someone wants to school me on his value, then great, I am all ears. From what I can tell, the good kickers of his era made 70% plus.

Today, kickers should hit at least 80%.
    0 0 0 0

Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

That was 1982, which I gave him credit for. Outside of that, what did he do? A 65% field goal percentage is not that great. That 65% includes his MVP year. That MVP year was also a strike shortened year. Also, in all time career field goal percentage, he ranks #108.

I never watched the guy kick, and can only go by his stats. If someone wants to school me on his value, then great, I am all ears. From what I can tell, the good kickers of his era made 70% plus.

Today, kickers should hit at least 80%.
    well....he made them when it counted. and from long distances. very good in bad weather. that's what I remember.

I also remember that Lohmiller was sort of a flake.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Salisbury

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/red...-wants-to.html

Props to Hunter for being a classy guy about the whole thing.

Still think the long snapper should have been first. Never understood getting rid of Albright, he was almost flawless in how many games for us? It's not like you need a lot of youth at longsnapper.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I am pretty sure Albright had surgery and could not be counted on at the beginning of the season, so he was not offered his usual one year deal. Once he got healthy, the Chargers signed him, but cut him two weeks later.
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Air Force

Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    I also remember that Lohmiller was sort of a flake.
    He outscored the Colts in 91. Plus those 5 FG's vs Dallass on Monday night. He could be a flake all he wanted, although I never saw him being such
    0 0 0 0

BGObsessed
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Salisbury
    0 0 0 0