• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Parcells wants back in

We don't need Bill Parcells. We just need to have the courage of our convictions and demonstrate some patience.

Areed. Thus why I think this would be a disaster:

And regardless of Parcells, I believe Shanahan will be gone by the end of next season.

Coaching turnover is one of the things that has been a problem with the Redskins over the last 10 years. If you keep rotating coaches every 2 years you never get a system in place long enough for the team to acquire the players necessary to run the system as well as be comfortable in it. Then management has players that don't fit the system of the next coach and we start all over again. This is the treadmill that Henry speaks of.

I believe from Snyder down to the coaches, this is mostly a throw away year. Some moves were made to try and maintain competitivness. There were too many changes to expect much this year. I think they're on a 3 year plan to get good.

I believe from Snyder down to the coaches, this is mostly a throw away year. Some moves were made to try and maintain competitivness. There were too many changes to expect much this year. I think they're on a 3 year plan to get good.
I hope you're right about the 3-year plan.

I don't think we've had any long-range plan in the 12+ years that Snyder has owned the team. That would really signify the type of change we were hoping for when Allen/Shannahan took over.

Bringing in a Parcells to run a Shanahan-coached team is more of the same from the Redskins. This time, its just on the other side of the organization, not the players' side. I say stick with what we have, and give it a chance to improve things. I mean, Allen has had less than a season to prove himself here...can we give him a year or two to turn things around before bringing up other people's names?

Has anyone done a quick study of what happens on the back end of the Tuna Arc at his various stops? He's a magician getting teams turned around fast, but 1) how long does he stay, and 2) more importantly, what does he leave behind when the siren song of the next challenge inevitably comes calling?

Has anyone done a quick study of what happens on the back end of the Tuna Arc at his various stops? He's a magician getting teams turned around fast, but 1) how long does he stay, and 2) more importantly, what does he leave behind when the siren song of the next challenge inevitably comes calling?

The next three years after Parcells left his teams:

Giants (91-93): 6-10, 8-8, 11-5 (of course, Ray Handley inexplicably went with Hostetler in '91, and JH also played a lot of '92)

Pats (97-99): 10-6, 9-7, 8-8 under Carroll

Jets (00-02): 9-7, 10-6, 9-7

Cowboys (07-09): 13-3, 9-7, 11-5

Dolphins: 5-5 this season after 11-5 and 7-9 in 08-09 with BP in the FO

I think the guy has shown to get teams turned around quickly and tends to leave a decent foundation. Tuna is probably too old to coach now but could probably be a good front office guy for some team. What about the Tuna and Chin combo in Carolina?

The hiring of Joey Galloway, Roydell Williams, Willie Parker, Larry Johnson, and Donovan McNabb look like moves made to win now to some. These names are often raised when complaining of the “win now” syndrome. I disagree with this viewpoint.

I think all were brought in, primarily, based on their past proven productivity. Two of the five are already gone and I predict that Galloway and Williams will not be on the roster next year. None of their contracts hurt the Redskins financial bottom-line. As for McNabb, he will be the foundation of a team resurrection that will take more than one year to complete. All of these players were added to the roster to provide leadership, guidance, and the hope of another productive season. To me, McNabb has already proven his worth and will continue to do so now that he’s signed a multi-year deal [which is team-friendly, BTW]. I think this was an excellent decision, especially if the team drafts a young prospect in the next year or two.

It’s almost universally agreed that the Redskins have the weakest talent in the NFC East, yet this F.O. is expected to turn chicken poop into chicken salad overnight. Patience will be needed by the fans if we want to build a team that can compete year-in and year-out.

The hiring of Joey Galloway, Roydell Williams, Willie Parker, Larry Johnson, and Donovan McNabb look like moves made to win now to some. These names are often raised when complaining of the “win now” syndrome. I disagree with this viewpoint.

I think all were brought in, primarily, based on their past proven productivity. Two of the five are already gone and I predict that Galloway and Williams will not be on the roster next year. None of their contracts hurt the Redskins financial bottom-line. As for McNabb, he will be the foundation of a team resurrection that will take more than one year to complete. All of these players were added to the roster to provide leadership, guidance, and the hope of another productive season. To me, McNabb has already proven his worth and will continue to do so now that he’s signed a multi-year deal [which is team-friendly, BTW]. I think this was an excellent decision, especially if the team drafts a young prospect in the next year or two.

It’s almost universally agreed that the Redskins have the weakest talent in the NFC East, yet this F.O. is expected to turn chicken poop into chicken salad overnight. Patience will be needed by the fans if we want to build a team that can compete year-in and year-out.

true dat.

how do you do this when you continue past practices of trading the future (i.e., draft picks) for the present?

Agree with Mayor. Also, the Redskins did some serious blood-letting in the offseason; they needed bodies to fill the roster. Why not fill them with hard-working veterans? Clearly we didn't have the draft picks to fill the team with youth.

Agree with Mayor. Also, the Redskins did some serious blood-letting in the offseason; they needed bodies to fill the roster. Why not fill them with hard-working veterans? Clearly we didn't have the draft picks to fill the team with youth.

But there were a couple of moves that were made we could have taken full advantage of with much more talented veterans. Instead of picking up LT we chose Parker and Johnson. Houshmanzadeh was released, he is filling in nicely in Baltimore. Peyton Hillis? There are several others that we could have chosen over Roydell, Galloway, LJ and Parker who would have been far more productive than the path we chose.

Couple those moves, I know are easier to see in retrospect, with our move to a 3-4 and we sit at .500 in a weak NFC. I strongly feel we could be 7-3 right now if it weren't for those moves I just mentioned, even with a sub par offensive line.

I keep hearing we need patience, which I agree with. The problem I have is that we could/should have a better record, now, than we do and I blame decisions by the coaching staff and player personnel. But then again, we could still have Jim Zorn for that matter, so...

Last edited:
Good points El. The sad cycle of poor front office decisions continues to loom large. I love the fire and intensity Shanahan has imbued the team with, there is more fight in this team there has been since Gibbs (2.0 and 1.0). But the front office doesn't seem to be making great decisions.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.