A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default might as well get the weekly post over with now!

    no pass rush....thank you Free Agency!

    weak zone defense....thank you Vinny!

    Three man rushes all too often...thank you Mr Haslet!

    Weak tackling...

    oh forget it...they took a gamble on how they were going to build this team during the off-season and anyone who cares about defense knows the whole plan was completely F'd up from that side of the ball.

    It's embarrassing how bad this defense has become.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-15-09
    Posts
    824
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    no pass rush....thank you Free Agency!

    weak zone defense....thank you Vinny!

    Three man rushes all too often...thank you Mr Haslet!

    Weak tackling...

    oh forget it...they took a gamble on how they were going to build this team during the off-season and anyone who cares about defense knows the whole plan was completely F'd up from that side of the ball.

    It's embarrassing how bad this defense has become.
    I'll give you the poor tackling and of course, the Vinny suckage. The rest of it doesn't make sense at this point in the Allahan regime though. Albeit in hindsight, I think the overall talent level combined with the lack of depth and poor fit in some cases means we're further behind than I and some others thought. That means we have more holes than anticipated. Therefore if we're going to stay the course and try to rebuild mostly through the draft. That will take a little time. Get used to it.

    The good news is that the team will get better on both sides of the ball as they continue to get aclimated to the new systems. Also if McNabb continues to suck, Grossman already knows the offense so we're not stuck with him yet even if that doesn't happen. Again, a few key replacements plus another year/offseason in the systems and we could be very competitive...not SB caliber but competitive.

    Which positions though? My prioritized list: NT, C, WR, RB. Depending on where the strengths of the next draft/FA that list is doable. The NT and C absolutely must be addressed first IMHO and alone would make a huge difference in our performance.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  3. #3

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yusuf06 View Post
    I'll give you the poor tackling and of course, the Vinny suckage. The rest of it doesn't make sense at this point in the Allahan regime though. Albeit in hindsight, I think the overall talent level combined with the lack of depth and poor fit in some cases means we're further behind than I and some others thought. That means we have more holes than anticipated. Therefore if we're going to stay the course and try to rebuild mostly through the draft. That will take a little time. Get used to it.

    The good news is that the team will get better on both sides of the ball as they continue to get aclimated to the new systems. Also if McNabb continues to suck, Grossman already knows the offense so we're not stuck with him yet even if that doesn't happen. Again, a few key replacements plus another year/offseason in the systems and we could be very competitive...not SB caliber but competitive.

    Which positions though? My prioritized list: NT, C, WR, RB. Depending on where the strengths of the next draft/FA that list is doable. The NT and C absolutely must be addressed first IMHO and alone would make a huge difference in our performance.
    Posted via BGO Mobile Device
    Hey there Y!

    I don't lnow where you are coming from: there has basically been no pass rush from the first game onward...preordained by the roster strategy; these are basically the same pass defenders we have had for the last several years....it's an average group - despite all the chest thumping we fans get spoonfed EVERY training camp.

    sorry....but this defense is not going to get better...they don't have the talent on the line or...one suspects...at LB either (only Haynesworth is pro level caliber and he's too big a headache). Haslett can't scheme around the pile of mediocrity he was handed so we have double indemnity.

    the o-line is still missing 2-3 pieces. that's where I'd invest next off-season....and the non-existent WR corps....but in my mind that means another year of major suckage on defense.

    THIS TEAM HAS SERIOUS TALENT ISSUES. the FO is trying to buy time through FAs just like we did previously only at lower cost. they have sold off some of the future...just like in the past....to achieve some capability on the field. to make this work you have to at least have a few hits with lower/mid draft picks...NOT. I find an UDFA, URFA strategy to be dubious at best...especially for teams that have not demonstrated an eye for talent.

    we're only 4 games into the season and they should already be thinking about roster management next off-season. THEY SIMPLY DON'T HAVE THE TALENT. you can see it every game.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    01-08-10
    Location
    Wheatland, ca
    Posts
    664
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    I resisted posting during the game because what I saw was butt ugly early on. I'm uncertain what the expectations were from alot of you guys....me I just want to see the Skins being relevant in a playoff conversation after Thanksgiving. That being said if one told me we would have wins over Dallas, GB and a road win against the Eagles...I would gladly take that even with the Ot loss to Houston and the Rams.
    I'm still firmly commited that a franchise qb is a wasted pick until the team can provide at least a better than average Oline. So I'm very happy that we took Mcnabb and the Oline is a work in progress. Unfortunately for us Skins fans the oline has been ignored for way too long...So drafting that future qb will have to wait a year or two imho. In the meantime Mcnabb can shoulder the load. Its not like the Skins would be Superbowl favorites with(_Choose your QB_)
    I don't think the Skins are a viable Superbowl contender this season but winning the division is a reasonable possiblity. So thats what I'm looking at. We are missing too many pieces and had unbelievable holes at the end of last season. I think the Skins are moving in the right direction.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  5. #5

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cycleans View Post
    I resisted posting during the game because what I saw was butt ugly early on. I'm uncertain what the expectations were from alot of you guys....me I just want to see the Skins being relevant in a playoff conversation after Thanksgiving. That being said if one told me we would have wins over Dallas, GB and a road win against the Eagles...I would gladly take that even with the Ot loss to Houston and the Rams.
    I'm still firmly commited that a franchise qb is a wasted pick until the team can provide at least a better than average Oline. So I'm very happy that we took Mcnabb and the Oline is a work in progress. Unfortunately for us Skins fans the oline has been ignored for way too long...So drafting that future qb will have to wait a year or two imho. In the meantime Mcnabb can shoulder the load. Its not like the Skins would be Superbowl favorites with(_Choose your QB_)
    I don't think the Skins are a viable Superbowl contender this season but winning the division is a reasonable possiblity. So thats what I'm looking at. We are missing too many pieces and had unbelievable holes at the end of last season. I think the Skins are moving in the right direction.
    good post Cyc! healthy way of looking at things.......I'm just convinced that something is fundamentally wrong when a defense drops from top to last like ours has......it's more than just a new scheme.

    I don't get some of the calls.....it's nearing the end of the game, Pack is driving for a winning FG, and the DBs are lined up to force the receivers inside - the play the Pack has been eating our lunch on all day. yea.....I get the clock management part...as the Pack moved down the field in big chunks. I would only note that things got better once the DBs lined up face on and pressed the receivers....very late in the game.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #6

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    good post Cyc! healthy way of looking at things.......I'm just convinced that something is fundamentally wrong when a defense drops from top to last like ours has......it's more than just a new scheme.

    Ya know FanSince, I would have completely agreed with you until today. I have not been able to figure out how we dropped to last place, and then gave up 400+ yards today. But the thing is, we are giving up a ton of yards, but not many points, excepting the Texans game. And we have won more games than we have lost.

    I guess I'm eternally optimistic, but it just seems to me that things will only look better as the season progresses.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Goaldeje View Post
    Ya know FanSince, I would have completely agreed with you until today. I have not been able to figure out how we dropped to last place, and then gave up 400+ yards today. But the thing is, we are giving up a ton of yards, but not many points, excepting the Texans game. And we have won more games than we have lost.

    I guess I'm eternally optimistic, but it just seems to me that things will only look better as the season progresses.

    goald....hope you're right. I'm seeing things that suggest otherwise. but it is what it is (how's that for a bail out?!)

    lotta subtle stuff going on out there. an example, I wasn't able to watch on TV too often and stuff happens fast...but I did see Torain make the wrong decision on who to block several times. this is an experience issue and I agree it should be fixable. one would think whatever is going on with coverages - like with that first TD - should be fixable as well. but so far.......
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  8. #8

    Join Date
    02-01-10
    Location
    Waynesboro, VA
    Posts
    9,169
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    65
    James Madison

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    goald....hope you're right. I'm seeing things that suggest otherwise. but it is what it is (how's that for a bail out?!)

    lotta subtle stuff going on out there. an example, I wasn't able to watch on TV too often and stuff happens fast...but I did see Torain make the wrong decision on who to block several times. this is an experience issue and I agree it should be fixable. one would think whatever is going on with coverages - like with that first TD - should be fixable as well. but so far.......

    I thought Torain looked good, but as I said a million times in the chat, we didn't run enough. You can't expect a runner to get in rhythm if he only gets 10 touches in the first half, and less than ten in the second. I would like to see us get serious about the running game, and commit to it next week against Indy. We were having success outside, and none at all inside, so at the end of the game after Torain hadn't touched the ball in nearly a quarter, we run right up the gut?

    Don't get that.

    But back to the D. I have to admit to doing a 180 on the defense. Still not sure about Haslett, but we seem to be coming around. Again, I'd rather be Pitt, and not give up any yards, but if we give up yards and few points, I'm OK with that. And we seem to be more opportunistic with turnovers than in years past, which is good. Starting to like the defense.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    OLine. DLine. Secondary.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    03-30-10
    Location
    Columbus, OH
    Posts
    1,252
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fansince62 View Post
    good post Cyc! healthy way of looking at things.......I'm just convinced that something is fundamentally wrong when a defense drops from top to last like ours has......it's more than just a new scheme.

    I don't get some of the calls.....it's nearing the end of the game, Pack is driving for a winning FG, and the DBs are lined up to force the receivers inside - the play the Pack has been eating our lunch on all day. yea.....I get the clock management part...as the Pack moved down the field in big chunks. I would only note that things got better once the DBs lined up face on and pressed the receivers....very late in the game.
    I'm actually with both of ya. I still don't understand why we changed to 3-4 THIS year. The change maybe next when we pick up some better personnel for it..OK but now from a 4-3 that was pretty darn effective when we clearly don't have the 3-4 bodies? Seems like cutting off your nose to spite your face to a degree.

    On the other hand I thought 8-8 was optimistic so like Cycleans I feel pretty darn fortunate for the team to have won the games they have. I mean seriously...tied for NFC East lead after 3 BIG NFC games with a D that was hemorrhaging yards up to this point? Indy looks a mess enough that I'm half confident going into the next game. After the Rams game, there's no way I thought that was going to happen. The Redskins are the Cardiac kids again, it's like watching a Gibbs team...and that's a good thing based on the talent and age of the team.

    I've already seen enough to know the culture is already changing...to me that's astronomically huge.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  10. #10

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Posts
    7,584
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CounterTrey View Post
    I've already seen enough to know the culture is already changing...to me that's astronomically huge.
    no argument here!
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •