• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Haynesworth, Shanahan exchange words after failed conditioning test

again...and Neo's posts have been quality...what NEO runs is irrelevant.

I'm at the point where I don't care. Let's assume that Haynesworth isn't faking here...at what point does forcing a situation that injures a player strike you as...well.....stupid? at what point does this become a distraction? is there a better way of handling this? is the goal here to establish biggest **nis on the block or field the best d-line?

haynesworth is a knucklehead. but at what point does this become self-defeating?

So you are assuming the shuttle-runs injured Haynesworth? If he can't handle simple sprints, I'm betting the knee would have been injured sooner rather than later during camp anyway.

So you are assuming the shuttle-runs injured Haynesworth? If he can't handle simple sprints, I'm betting the knee would have been injured sooner rather than later during camp anyway.

ummm...what part of "let's assume haynesworth isn't faking it?"......did you miss? cmon now.....why his knee and not his crotch being injured? what a silly thing to say.

they're gonna land up playing him. at some point...holding him out just makes the situation worse. get him in there AND THEN if he fails....sit his butt on the bench. they're not going to recover any of that bonus money - it's paid out.

Shanahan/Allen have done a good job changing the culture, but at some point they need to get back to football only......they have made their point.

ummm...what part of "let's assume haynesworth isn't faking it?"......did you miss? cmon now.....why his knee and not his crotch being injured? what a silly thing to say.

I was referring to this quote from you:

at what point does forcing a situation that injures a player strike you as...well.....stupid?

This reads to me that you are saying the conditioning test injures Haynesworth...however I seem to continuously misunderstand what you are actually saying (or you alter your point of view just to argue...;)), so maybe this is just another case of me misunderstanding you?

100801beelertoon_c.jpg

I was referring to this quote from you:

This reads to me that you are saying the conditioning test injures Haynesworth...however I seem to continuously misunderstand what you are actually saying (or you alter your point of view just to argue...;)), so maybe this is just another case of me misunderstanding you?

you didn't misunderstand me.....assuming he wasn't faking it.....no knee problems prior to gassers.....knee problems afterward. seems clear to me. it's comical...but there does appear to be a cause/effect here.

Shanahan has made his point. they need to get FA onto the field. the guy has always had troubles with this test...no doubt during pro bowl years also. how about toning things down.....getting him onto the field and seeing what happens? again..the point has been made.....let's see if the guy will play full throttle. if not.....get rid of him.

Posted this over on the dark side...

Our gym is going to offer the opportunity to try it tomorrow. You get 25 bucks off of this month's membership if you pass it. I'm going to give it a try, but will probably come up a bit short. My insurance pays for my membership, but I'm sure they wouldn't mind getting a 25 dollar credit. :biggrin2:

I heard Golic from Mike & Mike was going to try it tomorrow. Someone fill me in on that front if you hear how it goes :)

I heard Golic from Mike & Mike was going to try it tomorrow. Someone fill me in on that front if you hear how it goes :)

Already done it. He might have been a step too quick on the turns, but it's close enough for me. He's 47 and has not been training. AH should be embarrased and the apologists should can it. Shannahan should stick to his guns and make AH complete it before letting him practice. If he isn't willing to get in basic football shape, he should forfiet his money and hit the road.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfceast/post/_/id/16251/video-golic-takes-the-haynesworth-test

Last edited:
In short what he's being asked to do just isn't that tough for any sized person if they have decent cardio fitness - which would be in line with AH's claim that he was in "great shape".

I was going to stay out of this after my last post but I just can't... Ah well, I tried.

Listening to NFL Total Access over the weekend, Warren Sapp said what Haynesworth is being asked to do is not a cardo issue, at least not for a man that big. It is a matter of physics. Objects at rest, objects in motion and all that stuff. Big Al is . . . well . . . big. Starting and stopping that much weight in a short distance like that is tough and very tough on the body, according to Sapp. And while he did not state this directly, what I got out of his remarks is that is pretty unrealistic as a fitness test for a guy this size. It, in no way, mimics anything in the game as lineman really only start fast but only for a step or so and almost never stop fast on their own. It applies stresses that have nothing to do with game shape, at least in his opinion. He was not at all surprised that Al is now having knee issues.

And let us not forget that Sapp has been very outspoken in his contempt for how Al has handled his situation with the Skins in the off season so this is not a guy who is unwilling to toss his fellow defensive lineman under the bus if he thinks it warranted.

I wonder what Golic is weighing in at these days. Interesting to watch.

Last edited:
you didn't misunderstand me.....assuming he wasn't faking it.....no knee problems prior to gassers.....knee problems afterward. seems clear to me. it's comical...but there does appear to be a cause/effect here.

Shanahan has made his point. they need to get FA onto the field. the guy has always had troubles with this test...no doubt during pro bowl years also. how about toning things down.....getting him onto the field and seeing what happens? again..the point has been made.....let's see if the guy will play full throttle. if not.....get rid of him.

Its a recurring injury...he's had knee problems for forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what Golic is weighing in at these days. Interesting to watch.

Not a fair question in this case. For the 60 or 70 pounds he may be lighter, he is giving up nearly 20 years. I can tell you that at 41 there is no way I am capable of performing like I did at 28. I can only imagine what it would be like at Golics age having been beaten up in the NFL for years.

Not to mention, it was reported (Not sure where, I will have to search) that the Redskins had Albert run 3-100's not 6-50's or even the 12-25's that Golic ran. That is only 2 stops and turns not 11 like Golic did.

Not a fair question in this case. For the 60 or 70 pounds he may be lighter, he is giving up nearly 20 years. I can tell you that at 41 there is no way I am capable of performing like I did at 28. I can only imagine what it would be like at Golics age having been beaten up in the NFL for years.

Not to mention, it was reported (Not sure where, I will have to search) that the Redskins had Albert run 3-100's not 6-50's or even the 12-25's that Golic ran. That is only 2 stops and turns not 11 like Golic did.

golic was jogging, this was not a speed test at all. Fat Al should be embarrassed. Having said that, Shanahan should let it go and move on at this point. Neo makes a good point that these are not things he will be doing in an actual football game. Shanahan has made his point that all Fat Al's talk of working out with a private trainer was crap.

If Fat Al is allowed to practice and gives anything less than maximum effort, Shanahan has every justifiable reason to get rid of him, be it a trade, cut, or benching.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I wonder who Butterworth will be playing for a month from now?

It is fair if more weight makes the test harder because of the starting and stopping factor.

And I am not saying Al should not be embarrassed by the fact that 40-something guy out of football for nearly 2 decades did it without being some sort of conditioning program. He should.

Golic ran the exact same test the Skins are giving to Haynesworth, 12-25s, the first in 70 seconds and the second in 73 seconds with a 3 and a half minute break in between.

Golic ran the exact same test the Skins are giving to Haynesworth, 12-25s, the first in 70 seconds and the second in 73 seconds with a 3 and a half minute break in between.

The stop-and-turns are what make the test more difficult, so the 3-100's or 6-50's would actually be easier than what Golic ran.

Golic did run the complete distance. The camera angle was from the side, so looked like he didn't.

Still, Haynesworth should be embarrassed that a 48 yr old former player, with bad knees, could pass the test. From what I've read this is a standard test.
Key is to pace yourself.

This all could have been avoided if Haynesworth had attended 50% of off season workouts.

I wonder who Butterworth will be playing for a month from now?

The question that has been haunting us for a while is “Who wants him?”

I think management has probably been looking for a dance partner to move Albert since before the April draft. Either the offers are crap or they aren’t coming in at all. Most of us agreed that the best scenario for the Skins (barring a knockout trade offer) would have been for Al to come to camp in shape, keep his mouth shut and get with the program.

In thinking abut moving him you’d have to eliminate the ten to twelve teams that use a 3-4. Then you also have to eliminate the teams that don’t need a DT. Then you have to eliminate the teams who don’t want to deal with his attitude and the distraction he’ll bring. The money is almost secondary as we’ve already picked up most of the tab but there is the question of what they’d have to give up getting him from us. The pool of teams you have after you pair things down isn’t all that big.

Word has always been that the Titans would like him back, but they sure aren’t going to make a big offer to get him. I haven’t heard any other team mentioned seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.