• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WSJ: Top Kill Fails to Stop Flow of Oil From Gulf Leak

But what exactly has been going on? Is there research into something new that we can put in our tanks? Is there a plan to replace oil?

Talk is fine, to a point. But there comes a time to back it up.

And its all talk till it goes tro get implemented liek they did in cali with the solar they were going to put a huge solar plant in the middlew of a desert out in the middle of nowhere and either fienstein or boxer blocked it from happening

It's been 40+ days. I have a feeling if they knew something would work they'd try it.

The big problem here is no one has any idea what they're doing. We seem to be at the 'what the hell, let's give that a try' stage. And that's pretty damn scary.

The latest is that the top kill failed, and they have moved on to the Lower Marine Riser Package (LMRP) Cap Containment System. First, they had to cut off the damaged riser from the well...the problem is, the saw got stuck in the pipe. For serious.

The Keystone Cops are running this damn thing.

Just watched a Dateline episode on this oil spill and couldn't stop crying (yes, I'm a big baby). I feel so awful for these people who's lives have been completely uprooted by this catastrophe. Absolutely awful. I so wish there was something I could do to help :(

I agree with Henry to an extent - that he is at least (even prior to this disaster) keeping alternative energy and protection of our environment in the forefront as 'priorities'. Lets face it - business decisions in America are based on those priorities. The BP disaster and the decisions that led up to it occurred because our priority to obtain oil, at any cost, trumped all others. We clearly had no legitimate technically sound strategy to deal with this kind of event. Period. But because that imperative to get to the oil was set at such a high priority, we rolled the dice. And we all know, you roll the dice often enough, snake eyes is an inevitability. I don't think these kinds of events should be politicized (I felt the same way about criticism of Bush's response to Katrina). To a certain extent, in both scenarios, the scope and magnitude of the event was beyond any power's ability to respond effectively (even the US Government's). What matters most is where we go from here. And that's where Presidents truly deserve to be judged. How can we make sure that something like this never happens again, or if it does, that we have immediate and effective means to repair it and mitigate the damage.

Last edited:
Darth Cheney would have had this shut down a month ago.

Wonder if anyone has called him?

I agree with Henry to an extent - that he is at least (even prior to this disaster) keeping alternative energy and protection of our environment in the forefront as 'priorities'. Lets face it - business decisions in America are based on those priorities. The BP disaster and the decisions that led up to it occurred because our priority to obtain oil, at any cost, trumped all others. We clearly had no legitimate technically sound strategy to deal with this kind of event. Period. But because that imperative to get to the oil was set at such a high priority, we rolled the dice. And we all know, you roll the dice often enough, snake eyes is an inevitability. I don't think these kinds of events should be politicized (I felt the same way about criticism of Bush's response to Katrina). To a certain extent, in both scenarios, the scope and magnitude of the event was beyond any power's ability to respond effectively to (even the US Government's). What matters most is where we go from here. And that's where Presidents truly deserve to be judged. How can we make sure that something like this never happens again, or if it does, that we have immediate and effective means to repair it and mitigate the damage.

A very well thought out and reasoned response, Boone. As I've posted elsewhere, my experience has taught me that no President deserves more than 50% of the credit-or more than 50% of the blame they normally receive for what happens while they're in the White House-and I still hold to that.

The problem is that taking a pragmatic approach as you have-here's a problem, now let's find a fix for it, find the root causes and find a workable means for minimizing the probability of a recurrence-is a mode that's all but disappeared from American politics. Now it's all about name-calling, rejection-via categorization, find some "label" that evokes a knee-jerked response, set the political border collies in the media to yapping about the imagined monsters-in-the-closet to keep the respective herds frightened and thusly controllably in the ideological pen and secure for your party a high likelihood of getting a chance to run things for a few years. This is the the operative mode for both extremes of the currently recognized political spectrum. Our political standards aren't set by the Madisons, Jeffersons, Adams, or Paines anymore-it's the Michael Moores and Glen Becks that are listened to and followed without bothering to investigate to see if what they're saying has any connection to reality or not. Reason is no longer acceptable, it's solely a power game run by charlatans and frauds who know which hot-buttons to press to keep us from thinking too much.

Amen brother, amen. Our politicians and leaders no longer make decisions based on what's best for America. They do so based on the impact those decisions will have on their personal fortunes and that of their party. The almost exclusive goal is to retain power or expand it in the next election cycle.

I honestly don't think anything will change -ever - unless we find a way to incentivize the right kind of Americans to pursue elected office for the right reasons. I think you could revolutionize the effectiveness of our elected officials overnight with 2 basic changes. The first are term limits. I don't care if those are fairly generous, such as perhaps a max lifetime total of 8 years in national office of any kind (ie..apply the same standard to Congress that already applies to the presidency). The 2nd revolutionary change would be to set the pay structures of elected national officials at exactly the national salary average, and strictly forbid (and enforce) a ban on additional personal revenue (associated with their role as an elected official) during their service period.

Do those 2 things, and running for office becomes something only those looking to make a difference and pure of heart would find particularly attractive. Of course, changes like that are largely a pipe-dream, because the American citizenry has been asleep for so long, they've allowed their leaders to become so universally powerful that all attempts to restrict the power and influence of our 'leaders' will likely never make it to the table. I think the biggest disappointment of the Obama Presidency will turn out to be the recognition, even by his staunchest supporters, that despite the inspiring oratory, Obama is just another politician.

Amen brother, amen. Our politicians and leaders no longer make decisions based on what's best for America. They do so based on the impact those decisions will have on their personal fortunes and that of their party. The almost exclusive goal is to retain power or expand it in the next election cycle.

I honestly don't think anything will change -ever - unless we find a way to incentivize the right kind of Americans to pursue elected office for the right reasons. I think you could revolutionize the effectiveness of our elected officials overnight with 2 basic changes. The first are term limits. I don't care if those are fairly generous, such as perhaps a max lifetime total of 8 years in national office of any kind (ie..apply the same standard to Congress that already applies to the presidency). The 2nd revolutionary change would be to set the pay structures of elected national officials at exactly the national salary average, and strictly forbid (and enforce) a ban on additional personal revenue (associated with their role as an elected official) during their service period.

Do those 2 things, and running for office becomes something only those looking to make a difference and pure of heart would find particularly attractive. Of course, changes like that are largely a pipe-dream, because the American citizenry has been asleep for so long, they've allowed their leaders to become so universally powerful that all attempts to restrict the power and influence of our 'leaders' will likely never make it to the table. I think the biggest disappointment of the Obama Presidency will turn out to be the recognition, even by his staunchest supporters, that despite the inspiring oratory, Obama is just another politician.

Look at New Jersey. Christie is tearing up the old guard ( teachers unions, unions in general) because the state can no longer afford them. I wish we had a hundred guys like that

As far as alternatives i know withg CNG I had back in the early 00 we had 2 vans that had been converted and the max distance out of them was about 219 miles plus it was scary filling them up but i read an article weekly aboiut them converting a Hummer to a CNG vehicle and it was able to get 600 miles to the tank

There is a grassroots organization called Get Out of Our House (GOOOH, pronounced Go) that is trying to evict all the 'career politicians' from the house, and replace them with citizen legislators as it was intended.

www.goooh.com

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.