• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Will the Skins trade up to get Bradford?

Yeah but you thought Ladell Betts was gonna be the starting QB going into next season! :betterwink:

Welcome to the board!

Thank you Elephant. I am very impressed with what I have seen of it.

I am not a proponent of trading up for Bradford, but I am going to play devil's advocate.....

Hypothetically, if the Skins really want Bradford, do you think the Rams would swap firsts if we included Carter and Campbell?

I honestly think it would be dumb to move Campbell out of here this year even though we have Grossman. But Grossman could fill in as a sub for the time being, at least until Bradford is ready.

This would give the Rams a starting QB, a pass rusher on a very poor defense (they need to replace Little) and could still potentially put them in position to draft one of the big DT's. The Skins would not give up any picks and would still hold the rest of their picks this year and next.

Not saying, I agree with this, just wondered what everyone else thought.

IF that is all it took, Carter+JC+swapping firsts, I would do it in a heart beat and jump up and down.

However, there is no way the Rams just pick up our scrap heap. Carter, while having a great year last year, is a 30 year old+ DE. JC is well JC.

We'd have to throw in a pick to make it work

I agree with you Ismail. After thinking about it more, it will take more to get him. However, if the Browns want him, then they will get him. They have somewhere around 150 picks in this draft give or take 46.5.

The way back to respectability for the Redskins is not to concentrate resources (picks or money) in a few players but in making the MANY smart choices necessary to build a 53 man roster.

I have no doubt that Cerrato would trade the #4 pick plus the second rounder plus Brian Orakpo to move up and take Bradford.

But that is the wrong way of looking at the rebuilding process.

Less is not more.

It is better for Washington to draft a solid developmental qb in Round 2 or later and keep the balance of their other picks and players and build an OL and find a capable young RB
To support the qb the are drafting.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

It is better for Washington to draft a solid developmental qb in Round 2 or later and keep the balance of their other picks and players and build an OL and find a capable young RB
To support the qb the are drafting.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Definitely agree with the 53 man roster notion, but evidence strongly suggests that isn't the way to win on the quarterback position.

In the last 15 years, only one good qb, Drew Brees, has been drafted in the second round.

Now, can we possibly hit the lottery in the second round, and defeat 15 prior years that says otherwise? Sure, anything is possible.

But without that franchise QB, your upside seems to be limited to hoping for one shot at a SB, and then back into the pack again. Like Dilfer or Grossman.

If your wants are higher than that, a first round QB is a must.

Something I've been thinking about also:

With it being Shanny's, and Bruce's for that matter, first year with us, do they want to try and make such a big move in their first draft with us. I know they both have pretty respected resumes. And that Dan has seemed to give them his blessing when it comes to the football decisions. But I can't think of a new head coach in his first year making such a huge deal. Even Ditka waited a couple years before trading his entire draft to us for Ricky Williams.

Something I've been thinking about also:

With it being Shanny's, and Bruce's for that matter, first year with us, do they want to try and make such a big move in their first draft with us. I know they both have pretty respected resumes. And that Dan has seemed to give them his blessing when it comes to the football decisions. But I can't think of a new head coach in his first year making such a huge deal. Even Ditka waited a couple years before trading his entire draft to us for Ricky Williams.

Agreed. No way they sell the farm right of the bat. With a GOOD HC and the right system, this team might just be two or three key players away from the playoffs. I may be in the minority in this thinking but I have a feeling our FO is thinking it too. Let's get those pieces and give it a shot.

Agreed. No way they sell the farm right of the bat. With a GOOD HC and the right system, this team might just be two or three key players away from the playoffs. I may be in the minority in this thinking but I have a feeling our FO is thinking it too. Let's get those pieces and give it a shot.

I also agree with u ... heck I think we are 1 REAL QB away from the playoffs.

My argument for trying to trade up for Bradford:

The choice is typically presented as go for broke and try and land the franchise QB, or rebuild the OL (and other parts of the team). All I know is that in the past decade we've had the bookend OTs and the pro bowl caliber guard and the 1200+ yard rusher and the top 10 defense... and where did it really get us?

All the rebuilding of all the other units will do for us is get us back to middle of the pack, where we've been for the past decade or so, maybe a wild card team 2 out of 3 seasons if we're lucky. And our draft picks will likely be in the 12 to 24 range. So we could easily go another decade or so without a chance like this one to get a potential stud QB.

So my feeling is that while trading up is a huge risk, you HAVE to take it. It sucks if it doesn't work out (Heath Shuler), but you still have to go for it.

Here's the thing. Gibbs inherited Theisman. He then drafted Flick, Kessel, Holly, Laufenberg, Schroeder, Rypien, Humphries, Conklin, and Hakel, all in the lower rounds where many think we should go fishing today. That's nine guys selected over twelve years, one that did well for us (Rypien) but who still wasn't around for long and took 3 over years to develop, another two who we developed but did better elsewhere. It was four years before they hit on Schroeder, plus two years to develop him, and six years before they hit on Rypien.

And that was in the era when there was no free agency, you virtually owned players forever, and also the time when there were creative ways to stash players so they didn't count against the roster.

Nowadays, that whole shotgun selection and long term development of QBs that was the formula back in the day doesn't exist, and I think you have to be very aggressive in trying to find top tier QB talent, seizing opportunities whenever they become available. This year might be one of those opportunities, and I don't know when we'll get another chance.
________
XL175

Last edited:
Good to see you around Terry. It looks like we got a new influx of familiar names that have joined the board here lately.

Like a lot of folks I’m going to give the front office all the rope they need at this point to try to make the right decision at QB. I know I’ve been bitching about the offensive line for years now and everything sort of came down around our ears last year. Still, I think the O-line is at least a two year rebuilding project and one that is generally easier to address in free agency than in the draft.

QB is a lot trickier. There are examples of teams that win almost in spite of their QB. Most can’t do that for more than a year or so though. The teams who have sustained success have a top notch QB and there’s no way of getting around that.

Though the idea of having to give up the farm to get Bradford is not one I’m especially fond of, a QB upgrade is something I feel we desperately need here. The right QB can make this team relevant for the next decade plus. We aren’t likely to find “that guy” in free agency.

All I'm saying is this:

Shanahan and Allen go all in on Bradford and fail, this will be our next GM......

cerratoeye.jpg

just saying.

All I'm saying is this:

Shanahan and Allen go all in on Bradford and fail, this will be our next GM......

cerratoeye.jpg

just saying.

That was a very sobering thought. In Snyder starts to meddle or brings back Vinny...we'll never get a decent coach again.

WD, I've been mulling over the possibility you brought up and really don't see something like that happenning. I believe Snyder's move into the background, the departure of Cerrato and the apparent turning over of the football reigns to the Allen/Shanahn tean was at least partially fueled by the unusual intensity of the expression of fan displeasure at how things were working, or more accurately not working. It got to to the point of having not only financial impact-unsubstantiated but plausible claims of a decrease in merchandise sales, cancellations by season-ticket holders and such-but was turning into a PR disaster of the first order. Snyder, despite his other shortcomings, is, I believe, very aware of fan perceptions. He is a marketing genius and you have to be sensitive to the reactions of your customer base to do that. He would, I think, have to be cognizant of the near revolt on the part of the fans that something like bringing VC back to run things would precipitate. I'm doubtful that a repeat of Marty is in the offing regardless of the ultimate outcome of a notable QB move like grabbing Bradford, or even Clausen-or whoever.

I'm not saying it's impossible, I'm just saying it seems doubtful. A lot is going to be dependent on fan reaction also. If, for example, Shanahan does make a move to nab Bradford, how much time would the fans allow such a move to start demonstrating a positive-or, for that matter, a negative-effect before registering a notable consensus response? Redskins fans are understandably impatient for a playoff caliber team and I'm wondering just how much that impatience might cause a premature negative reaction if things start looking like they're going to take longer that was planned. If that happens too quickly and too vociferously then I could envision a scenario in which Snyder knee-jerks his way into overreacting by dumping Allen/Shanahan and reverting to previous behavoir-but, again, I think such a scenario is unlikely due to the probability of Snyder being aware of the likely consequences.

Right now, I believe the answer to the title question is NO.

In light of McNabb being traded to the redskins, I think that to use a draft pick for a quarterback is a waste. We now have too many quarterbacks and we can better use the pick on more pressing needs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.