• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner's Burning Questions: Weekly Grades, Evaluations, Questions - 2017

DL sacked Wentz 3 times and came oh so close to having 3 or 4 more, and inches away from giving us a chance late until Wentz escaped.

Looking closely at that play, it appears that a Redskin never even laid a hand on Wentz in the pocket. Or hardly, if they did.
Wentz was completely surrounded by his own lineman, and the only danger of him being sacked was his own lineman being pushed onto him. Since he never truly broke a tackle from a defender, or maybe never even touched one, I don't give him nearly the credit of elusiveness that everyone else gives him.

The truth of the matter is that Jonathan Allen is the team's best defensive lineman and was from the first day he entered camp. He is a potential Trent Williams-type talent and they don't come around every day.

Without him Matt Ioannidis, who has improved greatly, is now being double-teamed because NO ONE fears McClain, Lanier, Hood or McGhee.

I can give Lanier and Hood a break as one is an undrafted first year player just up from the practice squad. Hood is a 30 year old veteran who is on the team largely for his leadership ability and his work ethic which has rubbed off on guys like Ioannidis.

But with Allen out of action, NOW is the time Terrell McClain and Stacy McGhee are supposed to step up as free agent veterans.

And they aren't doing it.

Confirming what I saw, Chris Cooley graded McClain a C- to a D for the Eagles game.

That's right he was LESS than replacement value.

And we gave him a 4 year, $20M contract.

At age 29 he isn't going to get any better than what you see now on the field now which means he is likely a cap casualty next offseason, a mistake written off the books and carried over 2 years.

That said, Junior Galette also 29 doesn't seem to be anywhere close to being the player he was in New Orleans. It was fine to give him a chance to come back in 2017 and give it a try. But again, like McClain he is now a player that is just at or a bit above or below replacement value.

So, overall it is no surprise the pass rush pressure inside and out on third downs especially has fallen off and the Redskins now can only seem to get pressure when they bring Zach Brown or Mason Foster.

I had some doubts about McClain and McGhee given their less than consistent prior histories with the Cowboys and Raiders.

Dallas at the end of last year seemed to need some bigger guys to help in run support and anchor at DE and yet they let McClain walk without a second thought.

Ditto in Oakland where Jack Del Rio, who has been coaching defenses since Gruden was in the AFL, gave up on the 27 year old 6'4 330 McGhee. On the surface you look at his age and measurable and think 'Del Rio' made a mistake and pulled the trigger too quickly.

But the trick end out of the trick or treat bag is that McGhee despite his size isn't effective playing inside. At DE at 330, he is capable against the run but doesn't offer any real pass rush/pressure threat. Teams single him up all the time.

Couldn't we have gotten the same type of production cheaper out of middle round draft pick, with the potential for at least some upside in creating pressure?

Those two contracts on the DL continue to have me scratching my head.

With Allen out, Matt Ioannidis, a former #5 pick we cut in camp last year and was on the street, is now our best DL.

Granted he has improved greatly from the player he was as a rookie physically and in terms of comfortability playing against NFL caliber linemen.

But given he is only 24 and still learning how to play under Tomsulla, that is a real indictment of the free agent 'stiffs' we have on the roster.

McGee in particular has limitations when left alone as a DE in a 3 man front. Whether or not he should be stepping up more is one argument but on the other hand leaving him in over his head isn't going to help. The staff has some adjusting to do because of injuries however this has been Stacy all year.

No BBQ this week. My cable went out when we had a rain and wind storm to start the weekend and didn't have it restored until early Monday. We will resume the blog next week.

If I did hand out grades, it wouldn't be a disaster. The team was so short of qualified players as the injury list grew. They did a better than expected job and we should be proud of those efforts.

On to week nine.

The joke is that Arthur Jones will come in and likely play better as the 3-4 DE off the street than McGhee has been playing it for 7 games.

Bonus Mock Draft​

Greetings from all of us at the headquarters of BBQ. We hope you had a good Halloween. As we explained earlier there are no grades, evaluations, and questions this week due to technical interference.

So we've decided to present another inseason mock for you. This one is presented with the idea that Kirk Cousins will stay around for at least one more year – possibly more. Will that actually happen? Possibly, but we are going with that scenario for you today.

We started the process of looking at prospects nearly three weeks ago and to be honest there are some good quarterbacks out there, but a few are overrated in our estimation. So today we present you with a bonus inseason mock draft from BBQ after not posting our regular blog for week eight. It is difficult to anticipate how the draft could unfold for the Redskins so many months in advance and that makes this prediction even more challenging. BBQ looks forward to your scrutiny and comments.

Feel free to post an inseason mock if you are so inclined.

Let's get right to it.

Round One: Christian Kirk, WR, Texas A&M
It's the biggest need at this time and getting one of the best in this class should be a priority.

Round Two: Royce Freeman, RB, Oregon
The Redskins have learned the hard way that ignoring running back early in a draft is not working. Freeman is a solid back.

Round Three: Duke Ejiofor, DE, Wake Forest
The Redskins learned that picking a solid defensive end in the draft is a good thing.

Round Four: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
Jordan Reed could be released by the Redskins or traded in the offseason.

Round Five: Kyle Bosch, G, West Virginia
The 2018 draft is deep with quality guards. In most years, the big bodied Mountaineer would be a third rounder or higher.

Round Six: Cole Reyes, SS, North Dakota
Su'a Cravens is not likely to return and the Redskins find a hidden gem at strike in the great white north.

Round Seven: Jake Wieneke, WR, South Dakota St.
Coming from a lesser known program and conference, Wieneke actually has excellent skills and is an underrated prospect.

Round Seven: Lester Cotton, G, Alabama
Adding Alabama players to the roster can be a good thing. He would be a project, but has prototypical size for the NFL. He is definitely worth a flyer in the final round.

There is your bonus inseason mock. This list will change drastically by next winter. Or will it? Feel free to share your thoughts or post a 2018 mock. We will return to the weekly grades, evaluations, and questions next week as we take a look at the game against Seattle.

See you as we go along.

Hail To The Redskins!

I never had a change of heart and none of these mocks reflects my own personal viewpoints. These mocks reflect what the team may do. The only time I have a personal mock is the same day(s) of the actual draft.

Round Four: Mike Gesicki, TE, Penn St.
Jordan Reed could be released by the Redskins or traded in the offseason.

How 'bout Paul? Maybe gone before the offseason?

I think the Skins squandered some opportunities earlier to bring Sprinkles in for at least a few snaps. I guess he'll get them now...

How 'bout Paul? Maybe gone before the offseason?

I think the Skins squandered some opportunities earlier to bring Sprinkles in for at least a few snaps. I guess he'll get them now...

Paul is actually more injury prone than Reed.
But everyone talks about Reed's injury issues more than Paul, because it's more frustrating to see a talent like Reed held back so much.
Between Paul's injury patterns and the "cap" on his talent, I don't see him coming back next year.
And Sprinkle ? We shall soon find out more.

Just a note to let everyone know that I will not have any other grades, evaluations, and questions this season. The BBQ blog will continue this coming offseason with free agency, mocks, mini camp notes, OTA observations, training camp notes, and roster predictions.

Life has been coming at me very hard of late and it is affecting the commitment to the inseason portion of the blog. Rather than try to give a hurried and less than palatable effort each week, I am simply cancelling it for the rest of 2017. Hope you will understand. Some of what's been happening has been posted on my FB page.

I'll continue to have minor updates via twitter when time allows.

Hope everyone is having a good fall. Hope everyone in the U.S. has a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Ok, let's get a victory tomorrow.

No worries BB - we always appreciate whatever you can contribute. Good thoughts your way on the real life stuff!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.