• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Bruce, Scot and the Front Office.

How many Twitter 'truths' need to be proven utterly false before we learn not to trust everything we read there? Seriously - I'd just suggest holding my 'disgust' until we learn more. I'm confident we will.

I'm confident the answer is already known.

Rick Snider‏ @Snide_Remarks
Sources say alcohol wasn't reason Redskins released McCloughan.
Rick Snider‏@Snide_Remarks
Power struggle.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/839997864176574464

Grant Paulsen‏@granthpaulsen
As expected, fired and the team is saying it's because of alcohol. May be a major factor but there is a lot more to this story here.

Mike Jones‏@MikeJonesWaPo
Was told late in the season of jealousy up top and how they'd one day use McCloughan drinking as an excuse to can him. Exactly what happened

https://twitpl.us/fPVy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRZw_GCBRUJ/?taken-by=hatcher97&hl=en

Ben Standig‏@BenStandig
Last week at the Combine Bruce Allen told me, "(Scot is) taking care of his family matters first. After that, he'll be at work again."

Yeah, believe what you want. Power struggles are always nasty in any organization. Every dirty tool in the book is typically used and we saw it here.

Steve Czaban‏@czabe
I believe it's fairly well established that Gruden and McLoughan had to stand on the table to end the RG3 experiment. Many sources.

I'm confident the answer is already known.

Rick Snider‏ @Snide_Remarks
Sources say alcohol wasn't reason Redskins released McCloughan.
Rick Snider‏@Snide_Remarks
Power struggle.

https://twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/839997864176574464

Grant Paulsen‏@granthpaulsen
As expected, fired and the team is saying it's because of alcohol. May be a major factor but there is a lot more to this story here.

Mike Jones‏@MikeJonesWaPo
Was told late in the season of jealousy up top and how they'd one day use McCloughan drinking as an excuse to can him. Exactly what happened

https://twitpl.us/fPVy

https://www.instagram.com/p/BRZw_GCBRUJ/?taken-by=hatcher97&hl=en

Ben Standig‏@BenStandig
Last week at the Combine Bruce Allen told me, "(Scot is) taking care of his family matters first. After that, he'll be at work again."

Yeah, believe what you want. Power struggles are always nasty in any organization. Every dirty tool in the book is typically used and we saw it here.

I simply said that Twitter posts don't necessarily constitute a full, accurate picture of what's going on. Posting a bunch of Twitter posts doesn't sway me. Time will tell and there's not a lot of point in arguing based on incomplete information.

That's fine. I do a lot of work here and there are a few twitter notes and sources I use.

I'm only on twitter because of BGO. I have a job here and resources are important. As I post on there and get followers and follow others, I make references of/to this site. If it gets a new member or two (hopefully more) here, all the better.

Now..

This started two nights ago (for the most part - so much of it was much earlier). I got a few DMs - replied to them and kept an open mind. So many things came to fruition. A couple of things did not.

To condense it, a power struggle happened and was all but over EARLY last month.

People can believe what they want to believe. That's fine. I have no problem with it.

I have no intention of leaving twitter. Again, it's a tool I use.

That's fine. I do a lot of work here and there are a few twitter notes and sources I use.

I'm only on twitter because of BGO. I have a job here and resources are important. As I post on there and get followers and follow others, I make references of/to this site. If it gets a new member or two (hopefully more) here, all the better.

Now..

This started two nights ago (for the most part - so much of it was much earlier). I got a few DMs - replied to them and kept an open mind. So many things came to fruition. A couple of things did not.

To condense it, a power struggle happened and was all but over EARLY last month.

People can believe what they want to believe. That's fine. I have no problem with it.

I have no intention of leaving twitter. Again, it's a tool I use.

Relax. I'm not suggesting Twitter is bad or evil, or whether or not folks should enjoy it. You can frequent whatever sites you like - I don't know why we're even discussing that? But I've also seen enough of supposedly legitimate 'sources' on Twitter, real media or not, purporting to be breaking stories that prove to be totally wrong, to know not to trust everything I read there.

There may have been a 'power struggle' (although I ask again, what possible 'threat' to power did McCloughan represent to Bruce Allen, his boss and the 2nd in command already at Redskins Park? That argument makes no sense to me.

Now if the team leadership had determined that McCloughan's alcohol issues made his continued employment impossible - there's going to be a seizing of control (and that may well be entirely appropriate).

But I'll choose not to give a whole lot of credence to guys like Mike Jones and Mike Wise in the meantime.

BB, I for one am thankful you're on Twitter. Helps to discern the clickbait crap and speculation, a la Mike Jones, from real news. It's seems to be getting harder to weed out what's real and what's not. :(

That's only two sources. Try refuting the national sources on this one. You can't. Would you work for this front office? Answer it honestly. I would not, especially knowing a former player could go to the team radio station and do a hit piece on you (and it doesn't have to be about drinking).

Oh, like I said - I am fine. Relaxed to be honest.

I think we have given a stigma to the WaPo sports writers that is not deserved.

Sure, we boycott the editorial board due to their stance on the team name. However, the sports writers don't take that stance. Hating on a journalist is easy and understandable at times, but they provide the info. Plain and simple.

That's only two sources. Try refuting the national sources on this one. You can't. Would you work for this front office? Answer it honestly. I would not, especially knowing a former player could go to the team radio station and do a hit piece on you (and it doesn't have to be about drinking).

Oh, like I said - I am fine. Relaxed to be honest.

I have the same problem with those 'national sources' (is Ian Rappaport one?) as I do with your line of reasoning. The question isn't whether Daniel Snyder (and/or Bruce Allen) is the devil. He may well be. The question is who created this situation. My bet is that it was McCloughan's actions at the heart of it. I understand that Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen haven't earned any benefit of the doubt. That doesn't, however, mean that Scot McCloughan has been wronged here.

I think we have given a stigma to the WaPo sports writers that is not deserved.

Sure, we boycott the editorial board due to their stance on the team name. However, the sports writers don't take that stance. Hating on a journalist is easy and understandable at times, but they provide the info. Plain and simple.

Mike Jones is a total tool. The allegation he posted on Twitter a little while ago - that the Redskins planned all along to fire McCloughan unjustly and blame the firing on false accusations of alcohol abuse - may well get him fired if proven false. And he'd deserve it.

Mike Wise is with ESPN - but he grew up in the same cesspool. He is literally gleeful at current events. Most biased 'reporter' out there.

I don't read the rest of them, so I can't comment.

When a reporter says, "I was told", my question is always, "Told by who?" Name a source or STFU.

Sports media is no different than news media. They're held to no standard of proof whatsoever. They can say anything they want, and they never have to name a source. Every goddamn one of them get no benefit of doubt from me. They're full of shit until proven otherwise.

You just challenged Wise and he told you off. I wouldn't want to cover that story either. Yeah, they are jerks - no doubt about it. You have posted a lot about journalists the last few days and I understand the sentiment.

Here's the thing though. In order to get some additional info there are times when you stroke their backs a bit and they may engage you to a certain degree. It's not fun, but it's warranted for the most part.

You just challenged Wise and he told you off. I wouldn't want to cover that story either. Yeah, they are jerks - no doubt about it. You have posted a lot about journalists the last few days and I understand the sentiment.

Here's the thing though. In order to get some additional info there are times when you stroke their backs a bit and they may engage you to a certain degree. It's not fun, but it's warranted for the most part.

No - I tweeted at Dan Steinberg after reading his tweet and thinking it was a Mike Wise post. He rightfully lit me up. And I immediately apologized. The exchange with Wise was as follows:

Mike Wise‏Verified account @MikeWiseguy 2h2 hours ago
Social drinkers of renown, Bruce Allen & Dan Snyder bringing Scot McCloughan to Ashburn was like hiring a gambling addict to deal at Harrahs

BGObsession.com‏ @BGObsession 55m55 minutes ago
@MikeWiseguy @MattRowntree23 Do you honestly feel that's fair?

@BGObsession @MattRowntree23 Yes. Because Scot and his wife agreed with me on this.

Essentially, he's blaming McCloughan's alcoholism on his employers - which is in my world, ridiculous. And it's interesting to me that McCloughan is apparently simultaneously stating that he has not problems with alcohol and that there were no issues warranting his firing, while also stating that it's the Redskins fault because there was an alcohol-rich environment there.

It might just be me, but I have to think it's something different or in addition to drinking. If it was purely drinking, why did they take so long to fire him? Forget the pieces about folks not respecting him for the last few months, what about the last few weeks? Why not just fire him straight out? Why is his agent visiting the park?

I don't know we'll every know, but it doesn't feel like we're getting the whole story.

The question isn't whether Daniel Snyder (and/or Bruce Allen) is the devil. He may well be. The question is who created this situation. My bet is that it was McCloughan's actions at the heart of it. I understand that Dan Snyder and Bruce Allen haven't earned any benefit of the doubt. That doesn't, however, mean that Scot McCloughan has been wronged here.

Boone, I really don't think McCloughan has been wronged here but why, in God's name, do you pick NOW to fire him? And why NOT give a reason? Non-disclosure agreement? Still smells fishy. And not denying Cousins said "extend me now or trade me" tells me that's probably what he said.

They are totally shooting themselves in the foot with being so tight-lipped. Agents and their clients listen to all of the media speculation because it gives them an idea of the culture of a team and the character of a FO and guys are not going to want to deal with this stuff when contract offers are close between two or three teams.

What makes me angry is the decision-making process doesn't seem to reflect a commitment to winning when you leave your QB hanging in the wind, let BOTH of your starting receivers depart, and fire your GM all at the same time. Separately, these things are probably not that terrible but together they don't exactly create a recipe for success. Perceptions matter during the early days of Free Agency and all I see is indecision and a wall.

If McCloughan fell off the wagon and you felt it would be wise to move on then that is fine. But you treat the person with respect and the way you would want to be treated. You don't play games, throw him under the bus by having former player say something, and then make lame story about away due to death in family. Plus not come to his defense.

The Redskins (Allen) did a piss poor job handling this whole situation. It has been a PR nightmare. Had we said nothing and worked out a deal to where he moves on then we wouldn't be discussing all this, but our attention would be mainly on FA.

There has been too much smoke for to think there was no fire. It is plausible McCloughan started drinking again. I honestly think Allen has an oversize ego to which clouded his judgment. Thing is it could have been handled a lot better.

I don't have a lot of faith or trust in Allen and Snyder. The plan of trust is one of slow growth, but only takes an instant to destroy it.

This team is a model of dysfunction.

If McCloughan fell off the wagon and you felt it would be wise to move on then that is fine. But you treat the person with respect and the way you would want to be treated. You don't play games, throw him under the bus by having former player say something, and then make lame story about away due to death in family. Plus not come to his defense.

This team is a model of dysfunction.

What has the team said that show they treated him poorly? The reality is the team has said nothing. As others have said, if it's truly alcohol related, the team is doing the right thing by not commenting. Coming out and talking about his smelling of alcohol or being drunk in meetings would be throwing him under the bus.

Also, we all know Cooley was the one of the first who mentioned drinking. But it's pure speculation and rumor to say that the team told him to say that. I can start a rumor too. What if it was McVay that told him that? I have no facts to back that up, but neither does anyone else who says the team told him to say that.

The "lame" story about his grandmother didn't come from the team. It came from Scot through his agent. The Redskins later said he was missing so he could take care of a family issue. But the first word of why came from Scot, not the team.

I understand people getting upset. I don't like the whole situation myself. But let's get worked up over the right things. Not the incorrect facts or opinions of someone else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll say it again ... I was never wed to Scot McCloughan. I was, and am, wed to the IDEA he represented--that the Redskins were finally willing to hire a General Manager; a full-time, qualified personnel evaluator. It's a damn shame it unraveled, regardless of who one believes shoulders the lion's share of "blame."

Far more important to me at this point is where we go from here. If the team makes a concerted effort to hire another full-time, qualified personnel evaluator, I'll continue to be hopeful the slow turnaround we've enjoyed the last two years will continue. If they don't, however, and we head into 2017 and with indications Bruce plans to assume full GM duties again, I'm going to hard pressed to believe we aren't going to slide back down the hill into irrelevance.

As much as I'm interested in the FA moves we're making, I'm more interested in watching for signs that the search for the next GM is getting at the very least equal emphasis.

OM, I don't agree or disagree with you. From my years of experience feel this situation was poorly handled. From the timing, to leaks, to rumors, and everything in between
we could have done it better.

If they want to move on from McCloughan or anyone for all that matters, then that is ok. They don't have to ask my opinion and I have no control over what they do.

I have been a fan of this team for a long, long time. All I can do is voice my opinion (good or bad) and control if spend my dollars on their merchandise.

I will continue to defend my team to the idiot fans of the other 31 teams. Don't mind voicing displeasure amongst my family hear, but not in public.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.