A Burgundy and Gold Obsession
Game 12 - Philly. No biggie. Just a season in the balance ...

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Disagree Disagree:  0
Post of the Year Post of the Year:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 41
  1. #1
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    04-13-14
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    1,214
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    1
    Army

    Default A Tip of the Helmet to...

    OK, end of the season, which didn't go as well as it might have but there are some guys who impressed, who showed a lot of improvement or easily out played expectations. It's always easy to point at players who lean towards the dark side but some others that shined much of the time should get some credit.

    Well, my guy would be Trent Murphy especially considering the amount of flack fans were giving him early on. Trent showed a lot in preseason and then started off the season being almost exclusively the only dude who could make it into the backfield. 47 tackles, tied with Baker for most by dLinemen; 9 sacks for #2 on the team behind Kerrigan (11) and 3 forced fumbles which was more than everyone else. If Murphy played exclusively on the line he easily leads all dLinemen in tackles. Toss in some time on STs he earned his paycheck from week to week.

    So ladies and others, any players you'd like to give a tip o' the helmet to? Players that slipped under the radar and deserve at least an honorable mention.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  2. #2
    2016 BGO Survivor Champ

    Join Date
    08-01-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    11,499
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JohnssBass View Post

    So ladies and others, any players you'd like to give a tip o' the helmet to? Players that slipped under the radar and deserve at least an honorable mention.
    Chris Baker. He was asked to play out of position much of the year, and still played better than any other DL on the team.

    And Chris Thompson. He is a good 3rd down back.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    The more things change...the more they stay the same. It's like deja vu all over again.

  3. #3
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,757
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    Jamison Crowder.

    He not only came back in Year 2 to show he was a legit starting WR in the NFL, but also resurrected his punt return career and posted a 13.1 yard per return average in 2016, earning pro bowl alternate honors.

    On the other side of the coin, I am concerned about Preston Smith. He really failed to step up in Year 2 after late promise in Year 1.

    He was a high draft pick for us and seems to have the size, strength to be a very effective front seven performer.

    Whether his work ethic is lacking or if he is receiving uneven coaching I don't know.

    Perhaps as he indicated last week he is most comfortable being a pass rusher and gets caught thinking on the field when it comes to coverage.

    So, maybe he is not cut out to being a true three down OLB and sets up more as a designated rusher in the mold of an Aldon Smith or more recently David Irving in Dallas.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  4. #4
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    08-25-11
    Location
    Greensboro N.C.
    Posts
    100
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Coast Guard North Carolina

    Default

    I would say, Trent Murphy also considering his performances prior to this year was looking like a wasted pick...and I like Chris Baker too...after not re-signing Pot Roast and not drafting a NT, DE or DT with our 1st Rd pick...I didn't think we would be as good as we were...I read an article on Junior Galette - Washington Redskins - 2017 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

    "Galette's second year as a Redskin will end the same as his first: With zero snaps. Per PFT, Galette tore his right Achilles'. It was Galette's left Achilles' that cost him all of 2015. Headed into what would have been his age-28 season, Galette's career is now in serious doubt. It's an on-paper blow for the Redskins' thin pass rush, but realistically DC Joe Barry should never have been counting heavily on Galette considering his off-field and injury histories."

    Elephant, I agree Chris Thompson is a great player. I'm curious with Matt Jones being benched does he get released or traded... I want to see Keith Marshall hit the field myself...if he can get totally healthy, I don't see anyone catching him if he breaks loose.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "As long as I own this football team and long after I'm gone, they will always be the Washington Redskins."
    Jack K. Cooke

  5. #5
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    05-17-10
    Posts
    1,227
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Navy

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Posse Lover View Post
    I would say, Trent Murphy also considering his performances prior to this year was looking like a wasted pick...and I like Chris Baker too...after not re-signing Pot Roast and not drafting a NT, DE or DT with our 1st Rd pick...I didn't think we would be as good as we were...I read an article on Junior Galette - Washington Redskins - 2017 Player Profile - Rotoworld.com

    "Galette's second year as a Redskin will end the same as his first: With zero snaps. Per PFT, Galette tore his right Achilles'. It was Galette's left Achilles' that cost him all of 2015. Headed into what would have been his age-28 season, Galette's career is now in serious doubt. It's an on-paper blow for the Redskins' thin pass rush, but realistically DC Joe Barry should never have been counting heavily on Galette considering his off-field and injury histories."

    Elephant, I agree Chris Thompson is a great player. I'm curious with Matt Jones being benched does he get released or traded... I want to see Keith Marshall hit the field myself...if he can get totally healthy, I don't see anyone catching him if he breaks loose.
    A lot of people wanted to cut Murphy after the first year but he is solid against the run. Even if we did draft a DLman in the first round there was no guarentee of our defense improving much. Hopefully Sua and fuller turn out to be just as good as the crowder pic was. All I know is it's fun actually having draft pics help the team out instead of busting the bank on Free agents year in and year out
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  6. #6
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    03-27-12
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    863
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Wowsers...

    I'd have gone with Trent or Crowder, but as you've covered them...

    Going with Garçon.

    Yes he's in a contract year but he brought it every week and made a very very strong case for resigning him next year. He brought it every week without fail. Gotta give him a lot of credit.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  7. #7

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    The equipment manager.

    And the secretaries.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  8. #8
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    03-27-12
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    863
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ax View Post
    The equipment manager.

    And the secretaries.
    Noooooooooo!

    The equipment manager insisted on those Gold pants!!! Every time I saw them I felt it was a bad omen! Lol


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  9. #9

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    The gold pants are awesome.

    So, other than the uniforms, the equipment manager, and the secretaries, every coach and player on the team should be reevaluated.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  10. #10
    NFL Pickem Champion 2016
    Join Date
    01-22-10
    Posts
    752
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Default

    Josh Norman said the same about evaluating the coaches, or did I misinterpret that?
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  11. #11

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Norman has plenty to focus on himself without offering up solutions elsewhere. More often than not this year, he wasn't good enough to cover team's #1 WRs...


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  12. #12
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    03-30-10
    Location
    Orlando
    Posts
    7,324
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Florida State

    Default

    All of these are great picks. Garcon is a man on the football field. Murphy was the biggest surprise, and Crowder avoided a sophomore slump.

    BT, Preston Smith has reportedly been a frequent sighting at DC nightclubs. I have no direct knowledge of this, but it's been on social media all season. I hope he is taking his career seriously.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Thank you Jay Gruden. Multiple Superbowl appearances on deck.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    09-07-14
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    547
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    William and Mary

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Norman has plenty to focus on himself without offering up solutions elsewhere. More often than not this year, he wasn't good enough to cover team's #1 WRs...


    Posted With Tapatalk
    I don't know about that, I certainly felt like he did pretty well when they starting having him cover the #1 most of the time. Was he totally a shutdown corner? No, but he definitely made the offense look elsewhere a lot of the times. I don't know where you find them, but I'd like to see the stats on how many times he was thrown at and the completion percentage. His overall stats are pretty similar to last year without the INTs returned for TDs.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  14. #14

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default A Tip of the Helmet to...

    I like Norman. He's won some and he's lost some. He has had a lot of missed opportunities to turn the ball over including last night. He's also killed us in several games with penalties. Overall he was a great pickup (literally a no-brainer). My point is only that he'd do well to focus on his own game where it needs work, and leave criticism to the coaches.

    The big disappointment this season was Breeland. Last season Bree looked like a budding Darrell Green impact player. This season he looked lost. I have no idea what's going on with him this year as I expected the addition of Norman to lead to a Pro Bowl year for Breeland.


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  15. #15

    2016 BGO FF Champion
    Ugly American

    Join Date
    07-22-09
    Location
    My location
    Posts
    6,927
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)

    Default

    Norman at times makes Deangelo Hall look like a model citizen on the field. His attitude should have gotten him thrown out of the game. Very selfish player. Gets away with a lot of grabbing too. Good, not great, IMHO.
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    "Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and **** the prom queen"

  16. #16

    Join Date
    04-11-09
    Location
    Greensboro, NC
    Posts
    17,843
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Blog Entries
    94
    Marine Corps Virginia

    Default

    Great corners are almost always cocky - I think that comes with good and bad ramifications. I'd just like to see him making impact plays more often. But let's be honest - who the hell knows what kind of scheme we are attempting to run at times, so it may be less about him than the design drawn up...


    Posted With Tapatalk
    0 0 0 0
     
     
    Subscribe to our BGO Mailing List

    You ain't bonafide

  17. #17
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    05-17-10
    Posts
    1,227
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Navy

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Great corners are almost always cocky - I think that comes with good and bad ramifications. I'd just like to see him making impact plays more often. But let's be honest - who the hell knows what kind of scheme we are attempting to run at times, so it may be less about him than the design drawn up...


    Posted With Tapatalk
    once the guys in front get better he will have more Interceptions. Scott will improve the defense with better players. I like the way we are doing it now than get all hyped up on a couple of Marquee signings then end the season with 5-11 or 6-10 season. Scott said it would be 3-4 drafts before we were competitive yet we are already competitive. The right players brought in this year I think we compete for the NFC east title again in a knock it out drag it down fight next year
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  18. #18
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    03-27-12
    Location
    Birmingham, UK
    Posts
    863
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by redskins26 View Post
    once the guys in front get better he will have more Interceptions. Scott will improve the defense with better players. I like the way we are doing it now than get all hyped up on a couple of Marquee signings then end the season with 5-11 or 6-10 season. Scott said it would be 3-4 drafts before we were competitive yet we are already competitive. The right players brought in this year I think we compete for the NFC east title again in a knock it out drag it down fight next year
    Also Breeland was so bad at times this year that opponents threw to that side of the field instead of Normans side. Or exposed our soft middle.

    If Bree can bounce back next year (or successfully convert to Safety as is the rumour) then I also think you see more of Norman.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  19. #19
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    05-17-10
    Posts
    1,227
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Navy

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Knightingale View Post
    Also Breeland was so bad at times this year that opponents threw to that side of the field instead of Normans side. Or exposed our soft middle.

    If Bree can bounce back next year (or successfully convert to Safety as is the rumour) then I also think you see more of Norman.
    next year is his contract year so if that doesn't get him fired up then we cut bait and next man up. Hopefully fuller and the converted WR improve that would help also.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

  20. #20
    BGObsessed
    Join Date
    07-19-09
    Location
    Bethesda Md
    Posts
    6,757
    Post Responses
    Thanks, Likes, & More
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

    Default

    Josh Norman is a 28 year old veteran who was in the Super Bowl last year.

    One would expect a player of that stature coming in to behave himself better on the field in a critical game against the Giants and not be selfish enough to cost the team to settle a petty battle with Beckham.

    That penalty he took in the first half helped the Giants move further within Washington territory and score the field goal that ultimately were the points we couldn't get back in the fourth quarter.

    Ron Rivera is not the best coach in the NFL. But he has been a successful defensive coordinator and the one reason I would submit he ultimately withdrew the franchise tag on Norman was that despite his physical talent and work ethic off the field, on the field Norman was emotionally immature and really chafed against the team concept, being one of eleven performers.

    His ego is too big for that.
    0 0 0 0
     
     

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-22-15, 07:49 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-15-15, 07:42 PM
  3. Should Pollard be fined for the Helmet to Helmet Hit?
    By RG3 Fan in forum Sons of Washington
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-12-12, 09:44 PM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-22-10, 11:27 AM
  5. Redskins Rule: In the Helmet
    By BGO in forum Redskins Video
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-24-09, 03:44 PM

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •