• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins Quotes 8/24/16: Gruden, McVay

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
August 24, 2016

Head Coach Jay Gruden

On who will be out for Friday’s game:
“I think [Jamison] Crowder will be out. Obviously Josh [Doctson] will be out, Matt Jones will be out. We are looking at [Deshazor] Everett. There is a chance he will be out. We’ll look at him in the morning and see how he is doing. I don’t know who else.”

On S Deshazor Everett and DE Chris Baker:
“He pulled a hammy, a tendon in the back of his leg. It is not serious. We are looking at Baker. He is a little sore. He may be held out, we’ll see.”

On if the starters will play into the third quarter:
“Possibly, we’ll see how it goes. A lot of it is going to depend on how we are doing in the first half but I’d like to at least to get a good half. Sometimes offense is out there a long time, defense isn’t, or vice versa. We may need to come out for the third quarter. We’ll see how the play count is and we’ll go from there.”

On the importance of the third preseason game for the players:
“It is a great opportunity for them. I think the big thing is just getting themselves mentally ready to play, coming out of the locker room, see what kind of stamina they have to play more than four or five plays. It is a grind. I’d like to see the defense out there seven, eight plays in a row, offense try to get a drive together where they are out there seven, eight plays in a row, see where we are stamina-wise. The results are what they are, but the big thing is to try to get in a rhythm, both sides of the ball work on our communication. The whole entire scheme of things is going to be important just for getting some confidence going into the first regular season game.”

On Baker:
“He hurt it a little bit in the game last week, I guess, so he has been a little sore. We will see tomorrow. It is nothing serious… I think his quad, maybe. I don’t know, he’ll be all right.”

On if TE Derek Carrier will start the regular season on the PUP list:
“Yeah, that is a possibility. That is something we will talk about probably after the game on Friday. He has been coming along well. He is working really hard with the trainers, doing some good things but how long it’s going to be, we’ll determine that after the game Friday but it is a possibility for the PUP.”

On who will start at running back on Friday:
“We will talk about that. I think both them will get their share of carries so it really doesn’t matter. I know Keith [Marshall] and Rob [Kelley] will get plenty of carries; Chris Thompson, he’ll probably be another one that won’t be up so those two will get a lot. Kelsey [Young] could get some, obviously Mack Brown will get some.”

On what he’s liked about G Spencer Long’s progression at center:
“I have liked a lot. I have liked how he has really bought into it and learned and got better. He’s really gotten lightyears better from when he first started. When he first started, I almost didn’t let him continue to play there. But the snaps… There are so many things a center has to do. It starts with the snaps, the snap count, obviously the identification, the communication is all very, very important. He’s got a great skillset to be a center but there is more to it than that and he is really picking up on the intricacies of the position and he has come a long way from when he first started. I feel very comfortable with him going into the season if something – knock on wood – would happen to Kory [Lichtensteiger] that he could step in there and play. He has done a good job.”

On if there is a situation in which the first team could be pulled in the first quarter:
“I think it’s an individual-type basis. We’ll see how it goes, and see how they’re feeling. There’s no reason if somebody’s a little beat up, gets a shoulder or what have you or maybe is a little sore, there’s no reason to push them in there for another quarter just because the rule says you have to play three quarters. I’d like to keep them in there, try to get them in a groove and in a rhythm, but all that can change on game day. I usually play that by feel.”

On what positions he is beginning to evaluate on the depth chart:
“Yeah, I think running back obviously is very important. Matt Jones is our No. 1 back, but we’re really having good competition for the second spot. We have Chris Thompson as the third-down and the second back, but that’s an important battle. Obviously, left guard we’ve been talking about. The wide receiver position, there’s still some spots there up for grabs; guys are playing well. Defensive back is very, very important. Linebackers are still having great competition. There is everywhere – defensive line. I don’t really see a spot where there isn’t competition, especially for the backup/special teams roles. Those are the ones that we’re still trying to figure out. It’s a good problem to have. Guys have really come in and competed and made it hard on us, and this game will be very important.”

On balancing the workload of QB Kirk Cousins and the running backs:
“Yeah, I think when you’re talking about the running back position, a lot of it is pass blocking and running routes and getting out on the checkdowns and picking up blitzes. That’s why this is such a good game for us because Coach [Rex] Ryan over there has a great blitz package and those guys have got to be on top of what they’re looking at and their identification. We’ll see how they do. I think that’s equally as important as running the ball. So that will be a great challenge for them and then obviously we want to get them some touches. We always want to be balanced, so it’s going to be important for us offensively to be a balanced football team and try to get some good looks in there in the running game but also make sure that these backs know who to block and how to block.”

On the wide receivers:
“Just overall, I think that we’ve had some guys come in that have really stepped up and really turned our heads, quite frankly. It’s been a great camp and I’m anxious to see these guys continue to grow and see what they can do in another game.”

On splitting the defensive line reps on Friday:
“Yeah, we’ll split them up. Those guys rotate pretty much in and out throughout the course of the regular season, anyway. There’s no difference here. Some guys might get the starting role, then we get in nickel and we get a different group. Third-down-and-short could be a different group. You have different packages throughout the course of the game. The good thing is we try and keep our defensive line fresh and those guys will sub accordingly. Coach [Robb] Akey will do a good job of that.”

On what he looks for from the third-team defensive linemen:
“Just continue to do what they’re doing. We’ve got to see some guys make some plays and we want to see people rush the passer obviously. If they’re running the ball on us, we’ve got to make sure we’re in our gaps and we’re stout against the run. There’s a lot to look at as far as defensive linemen – pad level, penetration, pass rush, pursuit. All of that stuff is going to be very important for these guys.”

On the biggest aspect the young running backs have to adjust to in pass protection:
“Well, you have to know where we’re going. Very important… We have a lot of communication going on before the snap. They have to know exactly where the line is going and they have to pick up certain guys from the other side of the field. It could be on their side, it could be on the other side, it could be an 'A’ gap. You never know, so it’s very important. Knowing who to pick up and how to them pick up with their pad level, all that stuff, is crucial to be a running back in this offense. Obviously when they do get out, if they’re dropping eight or playing zone, catching checkdowns and getting up the field and knowing where to sit. If it’s man, knowing how to burst away from man and get open and separate. There’s a lot of things you can look at when the back doesn’t have the ball in his hands that are equally important as when he does.”

On how the running backs are developing in pass protection:
“They’ve done good. They’ve done good. Joe Barry has done a great job throughout training camp and OTAs of giving us different looks where we have to communicate and they have to do different things. So I thought they got a lot of looks, not as many as we’ll probably see tomorrow or Friday, but they’ve done a good job. They’ve had their share of mix-ups and miscommunications, blocking the wrong guy or not blocking anybody. As most rookies do, they learn by experience and we’ve given them a lot of opportunities to get some experience in walkthroughs and in practice, and they’re learning from it.”

Offensive Coordinator Sean McVay

On what he’s looking for from the young running backs:
“I think we just want to see continued growth. It’s going to be a great opportunity for them to go against a good defense in Buffalo. I’m looking forward to see Keith [Marshall] and [Robert] Kelley get a lot of carries and a lot of opportunities to kind of show what they’re capable of against a first-string defense.”

On the strengths of running backs:
“Well, Keith’s speed is obviously a big factor – you see the 40 time – but he’s the guy [that] once he’s able to get his pads vertical downhill and he finds a crease, you know, you can see some of the ability that he has in that open field. Hasn’t got a whole lot of clean looks and opportunities in the games, but we’ve seen it out here in practice. And I think Kelley’s shown a lot of maturity for a young back. He’s done a nice job in protection. Look at last week when we get internal pressure against the Jets last week and Kelley came up, stuck his face on somebody and gave Colt [McCoy] an opportunity to set his feet. And then I think he’s a good physical runner that squares runs off and does a nice job finishing falling forward.”

On if there has been a philosophy shift in the number of preseason reps for starting quarterbacks:
“Well, I think those reps… Any time that you can get live game action, they are important reps, but I thought it was a great opportunity for Colt McCoy to come in, kind of on short notice. It was a feeling that Coach Gruden went with and he came in and he did an excellent job on short notice playing against a great defense. So we were pleased with what he did. I think Kirk’s got a bunch of great work this offseason and then obviously the experience that he gained last year was very beneficial. But we’re looking forward to getting him some good snaps and good action against Buffalo this week.”

On if RBs Keith Marshall and Robert Kelley will get equal carries with the first team:
“I think what we’re going to try to do is use those guys. Coach [Randy] Jordan does a nice job spelling them both and we’re going to try to efficiently move the football, whether that be running it or throwing it. Both of those guys will get opportunities and that’s going to be something that [we’re] going to kind of adjust as the game goes on.”

On relying on Quarterbacks Coach Matt Cavanaugh to teach all three quarterbacks:
“Coach Cavanaugh, I can’t say enough about him, what a great job he’s done as far as leading that room, giving those guys a plan, helping develop the fundamentals and the mechanics of what we’re trying to get done at that position. They are all different, but they have, you know, very similar skills and abilities on what we’re trying to get done in terms of the base philosophy of how we want to operate offensively. Certainly we’ll try to accentuate to their strengths when each one for them is playing, but I think Coach Cav does a great job of getting them to understand what we’re trying to get done within each concept and play that we’re running and then also continue to develop their fundamentals and techniques.”

On the process of developing QB Nate Sudfeld:
“Yeah, it’s been a big transition for him. You’re looking at a guy that played almost exclusively out of the shotgun in college and came in in the spring and when he was getting used to things in the offseason and early in training camp, just figuring out how to consistently operate underneath the center – taking drops, working some of our run game mechanics, and different things like that. The thing that you’ve really enjoyed about Nate is that he’s a great guy for the room. He’s got a great demeanor, seems unfazed no matter whether it’s good or bad. He’s got a great way about himself and I think when he gets into the games is when you see his best stuff. He seems to speed things up a little bit. I think you’re seeing the athleticism when we’ve changed the launch point with him, so he’s a gamer and he’s a guy we’re very excited about.”

On Sudfeld’s play improving in preseason games:
“Well, there’s a lot of different things he’s getting exposed to and Coach [Joe] Barry does a great job of throwing a variety of looks at us offensively and a lot of them are for the first time he’s ever seen them. So, whether it’s a turnover or figuring out a way to respond from a bad play, whether it’s a bad practice, I never see him get fazed. [He] does a great job responding from those and he just kind of continues on with his process and you’ve seen the progress. And I think when he gets into those games is when you’re seeing his best stuff, and he’s got a lot of confidence, and that’s what you’re excited about with him.”

On when a decision will be made at left guard:
“Yeah, you know every day these guys are being evaluated and Coach Gruden preaches it every single day in the team meetings about competition. And we’ve got a bunch of great players that have had a lot of success. Fortunately we’re in a position where we’ve got some linemen where we have depth inside and guys that have played good, productive football for us. I think Spencer [Long] and Shawn [Lauvao] both played very well last week. Spencer’s doing a nice job at the center position as well. So, I think you’re seeing a lot of depth being developed at that line and it’s a constant evaluation every single day with us.”

On the possibility of starting an inexperienced running back in Week 1:
“Well, I think every single position is extremely important, especially the running back spot where these guys touch the football arguably as much as anybody but the quarterback. So, that’s definitely a spot that we want to emphasize and it’s extremely important. I think that’s part of, you know, being able to adjust and adapt to situations that inevitably occur throughout the course of the season. Certainly it’s never something you want to have with the guy that you’re projecting as your starter – potentially not be available for the opener – but it’s a 'next man up’ mentality and we’re going to continue to coach the guys that we do have here to the best of our ability. And hopefully they’ll be ready to roll if their number’s called.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the acquisition of Stork puts more pressure on Long to secure the LG job from Shawn Lauvao.

If Lauvao could miss most of last season, have FIVE offseason surgeries AND then come back and beat Long out to start the 2016 season then Long is no better than a career backup.

Long had every advantage going into camp.

Maybe, but I think live Leribeus is the player most in jeopardy with this move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On if TE Derek Carrier will start the regular season on the PUP list:
Seems to make sense. They have enough TE's (hopefully) for at least the first few games and opens a roster spot for now. He'd come off in six weeks, Skins can see where they're at with the other guys and get three weeks to decide what to do with Derek.

Not an overwhelming endorsement about backfield blocking. Hopefully a plan in place for Week #1.

Looks like there'll be plenty of rep's for rook's to show off before 75-man day. Many a tuff choice coming up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.