• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Joe Jacoby Named Pro Football Hall Of Fame Finalist

You can't say that The Hogs were one of the greatest Olines in NFL history and only have one member of that unit in the Hall of Fame.

I can close my eyes and still hear John Madden going off on Grimm,Jacoby and Riggins, on Sunday afternoon......

"Look here Pat. You've got Russ Grimm and Big Joe Jacoby running the Counter Trey and John Riggins gets right in their hip pocket...BOOM! WHAP!....."

You can't say that The Hogs were one of the greatest Olines in NFL history and only have one member of that unit in the Hall of Fame.

I can close my eyes and still hear John Madden going off on Grimm,Jacoby and Riggins, on Sunday afternoon......

"Look here Pat. You've got Russ Grimm and Big Joe Jacoby running the Counter Trey and John Riggins gets right in their hip pocket...BOOM! WHAP!....."

Here is your play Diesel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0XIXJNYo4

The player Jacoby blocked should have just surrendered before the play, as one can see at the 1:45 mark.

Traditionally, Redskins have been VERY SLOW in getting into the HOF.

Monk left the NFL with the receiving record and record for consecutive games with a catch and it took him YEARS to get in.

Chris Hanburger was a 9 time Pro Bowl player and NFL Defensive Player of the Year in 1972 and it took 30 plus years and the veteran's committee to get him in.

Sonny Jurgensen retired after the 1974 season and didn't get in until 1982.

The only player that was 'fast tracked' was John Riggins and no doubt that was due in part to his bigger than life media persona and status as Super Bowl MVP.

Meanwhile, if you are a Dallas Cowboy or Pittsburgh Steeler and put up superior stats their way seems greased to the HOF.

One more injustice:

Lynn Swann is in the HOF and Gary Clark is not.

Look at their career stats.

Both were multiple time Super Bowl winners.

Unfortunately, according to Keim, our guy, one of the key components of the Hogs did not make it in again.

Jacoby was a finalist for the Pro Football Hall of Fame but said via text message on Saturday he did not make the 2016 class.
Former Redskins tackle Joe Jacoby doesn't make 2016 Hall of Fame class - Washington Redskins Blog- ESPN

Jacoby's character is what always stood out to ex-Redskins coach Joe Gibbs. He said he wanted players to be great athletes and also mentally and physically tough. All of that describes Jacoby. It's why he rose from undrafted free agent -- in an era of 12-round drafts -- to starting left tackle as a rookie and future two-time All-Pro battling the likes of Lawrence Taylor twice a year.

Dangit. I thought this might be the time.

Joe Jacoby IMO is heading down the road towards enshrinement via the Veteran's Committee.

It's a joke that Ken Stabler with mediocre career stats over 16 years gets into the Hall of Fame because of ONE Super Bowl championship in 1976, meanwhile superior players at other positions have to wait until the Veteran's Committee vote years after the fact.

Once again, though, many of these voters for the HOF grew up in the era of dominance for the Cowboys, Steelers and Raiders in the 1970's and early 1980's.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.