• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Wishlist - Top 5 Characteristics in New Owner

Neophyte

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
As I see names get mentioned as possible new owners, I have been thinking about my wishlist of characteristics I'd like to see in whoever buys the team. Then I saw someone post theirs on Twitter so decided to kick off a thread here.

Here are the Top 5 Characteristics I want in our next owner:

5. Strong business acumen
4. Invested in the Washington Metro area
3. Understanding that Ownership is about hiring the best people and getting out of their way
2. Pockets deep enough to buy the team and build the stadium outright
1. Not an Asshat

Reactions: Om
I would add: Having an acute sense of awareness of what this fanbase has been through with the pathetic rebrand and an ability and willingness to start over and do it the right way.

1. History of building highly successful organizations
2. Ability to attract world class talent
3. Solid character and reputation
4. Willingness to spend whatever it takes to achieve sustained success.
5. Driven to create the most successful competitive team on the field

I’m in total agreement with Neo and Boone.

I also hope for a future owner or majority partner that is a visionary and that cares more about what they can bring to the area and to the league than they do about what being an NFL owner does for them personally.

I like ‘visionary’ :)

1. History of building highly successful organizations
2. Ability to attract world class talent
3. Solid character and reputation
4. Willingness to spend whatever it takes to achieve sustained success.
5. Driven to create the most successful competitive team on the field
I’m in total agreement with Neo and Boone.

I also hope for a future owner or majority partner that is a visionary and that cares more about what they can bring to the area and to the league than they do about what being an NFL owner does for them personally.
I think from Boone's list, 1,3, and 5 are all you really need, and possibly just 1 and 3.
If you are able to build a highly successful organization, it can essentially run itself. You made your money. You do need to apply some accountability and motivation to the topmost levels, and help with motivation down to the bottom, but beyond that a lot of it should be able to be handled more or less from your hires. If they can do (1) you are golden with the on the field product. With (3), you get someone who will actually care about the off-the-field product, which for fans from the 80s Skins, I am pretty sure we (or most of us here) care about. I loved hearing the stories of camaraderie from the team, and it always seemed like those 80s Skins were kind of a cut above most other teams. Just an awesome team to root for. I'd love that to be in play again in the future. 1 and 3 also avoid any problems in the workplace and keep the team out of the news for the wrong reasons.

I think (1) and (3) are really all you need.

However: "visionary" is also nice. It means you have a guy who can really be creative and bring this team to a higher level. Yes, someone with (1) and (3) above could hire a visionary, but a visionary owner will make it happen more easily. Snyder had some visionary qualities early on, I remember him partnering with some companies before others in the league did; OK, visionary is a stretch there but I'm throwing him a bone. Anyway, it would be great to have an owner we can really take pride in, someone who has a real interest in revolutionizing the game and taking the team/game and maybe even the Stadium (!) forward into the future. The idea that DC could finally have a really modern, well-designed stadium for the football team just blows my mind.

Great descriptions of key qualities, and a really good thread idea.

All the ideas mentioned above are great. I would like to add that I believe it is imperative that new ownership creates a culture where all people from top down to the very bottom of the organization are valued. We have all heard the stories of how Snyder treated people in disgraceful ways in Washington, and regardless of rank within the organization, everybody was fair game for his cruel treatment of employees. Give me a people person over and above everything else. Give me somebody who is smart enough to know that it takes a village to raise a child so to speak - the contributions of all employees need to be seen as being critical towards the overall goal of winning. That being said, people need to feel valued and it needs to permeate through every square inch of the building. Absent of that, you can have all the financial resources in the world, but it will ultimately fail. Snyder taught us that to a certain extent. I believe it may have been Joe Gibbs who said in his book that you ultimately win with good people. We have dealt with Satan since '99, and we saw how that turned out.

Dreamy eyes
Strong jawline
Capricorn
Tells me I'm special

Oh wait.... that's a totally different list!

Just want someone who is morally not a piece of trash. Sounds impossible nowadays, but we've missed out on a lot of great opportunities (new stadium, players, sponsors) because of Snyder being a garbage human.

It would be nice to have a Mark Cuban kind of guy here. Someone who will do whatever it takes for the team to win, and is always right there with the fans listening and cheering.

Dreamy eyes
Strong jawline
Capricorn
Tells me I'm special

Oh wait.... that's a totally different list!

Just want someone who is morally not a piece of trash. Sounds impossible nowadays, but we've missed out on a lot of great opportunities (new stadium, players, sponsors) because of Snyder being a garbage human.

It would be nice to have a Mark Cuban kind of guy here. Someone who will do whatever it takes for the team to win, and is always right there with the fans listening and cheering.
Bezos is one....

He has a lazy eye, not dreamy ones though. ;)

I'm also one.

In no particular order:

Rich as hell.
Believes in hiring the best and giving them all the tools they need to win (IE bigger scouting staff, better facilities, etc.)
Not a micromanager
Good people skills/team builder
Writes me a 7 figure check to make up for all the years of fan suffering I've endured.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.