• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What did you learn during the pandemic?

Kel Varnsen

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Alma Mater
High Point
Something I've been thinking about a lot lately is how my view on a few simple things changed since March of 2020. This topic is not about discussing the virus per se. I mean you or someone you know could have had the virus and it changed your outlook on life. I'm all for hearing about those things. I just don't want this thread to get derailed by talking about virus origins, treatments, actions taken by jobs, politicians, healthcare officials, etc. and certainly not politics. I am just curious what are some other things you have learned during this unique time of our lives.

For me, I think the biggest things I've learned is how much I have appreciated getting out of the house. Prior to the strict lockdown starting last spring, I often liked to just sit at home and relax after work or on weekends when we had nothing planned. But after not really being able to get out of the house for a month or so, I started wanting to get out of the house more. I just couldn't really go anywhere at the time except the gas station or grocery store. Once things started warming up and outdoor activities were opened, I started walking at the park when I could. As the year continued and I had to work from home, it became more and more important for me to get out of the house. I would walk 2 times during the week and again on the weekend for about 90 minutes at a time. It was fantastic. When I was in the office prior to the lockdown, I used to take walks around the building as well. Working from home, I was sitting and doing nothing. These walks were something I really needed and it's something I still do when I can. Now that more things are open and more activities are happening, I have some other options to get out. But I still enjoy going to the park and walking since I'm still working from home. So for me, it's been an appreciation of getting out and doing more things. Even if those things aren't as available or the same as they were 18 months ago. Just being able to get out and do things is something I took for granted previously and something I have a renewed appreciation for.

What about the rest of you? What are some things you learned this past 18 or so months?

I have learned to play a musical instrument.

Something I didn’t consider possible.

I was wrong and have never been so happy about it.

I learned to take control of my body weight and how to deal with the most stress I have ever faced in my life.

sounds corny, but working from home and being around my wife and 2 kids 24/7 for a year was something that took a great deal of trial and error before I figured out how to relax more.

We don’t have kids, but it also took some time for my wife and I to adjust to me working from home. Since initially it was supposed to be temporary, I just worked from wherever. About August last year, we carved out a permanent spot for me to work. That definitely helped as it gave my wife free reign of the house. I mostly stay in my “office” and can get more done.

I learned to sit down and begin writing again, free form style, what I originally wanted to be a 400 word short story is at 20 pages and growing (when I have time, I don't write but maybe a few hours a month) and the beauty of it all is the story continues to evolve since I set out with a minimal purpose and don't even think about it until I sit down to write again. I will say this, going back and editing is a pain in the arse and now I know why people are hired to "clean" stories up.

I was blessed enough to have been considered an essential worker and was busy through the entire lockdown, except for the 1st 10 days.

But the isolation from others made spending time with family that much more important. While things were "closed"...I still took the family to outdoor locations I knew were isolated, where the kids could run...meanwhile adding little things to the yard the kids could enjoy.

Then, I will never forget first true sense of normalcy. Trump decided to make the Thunderbirds and Blue Angels available for fly-byes. We drove into the city and found a spot where we could isolate from the thousands of other doing the same. It only lasted seconds, but that 90 seconds where we were with thousands of other people, was precious.

Ordinarily, that was something I'd do with my oldest and I with cameras in our hands. This time it was with the entire family.

I guess that was a long-winded way of saying enjoying more time with family was reinforced, again.

I learned to cut my own hair using clippers with no help from anyone. Granted, it’s hard to mess up a head like mine but I’m definitely as good at it as my barber was although I am cutting it closer than he ever did. I do miss visiting the old barber shop I’d gone to since 1995.

I learned to cut my own hair using clippers with no help from anyone. Granted, it’s hard to mess up a head like mine but I’m definitely as good at it as my barber was although I am cutting it closer than he ever did. I do miss visiting the old barber shop I’d gone to since 1995.

Me, too. Though nobody could tell. 😉

I have two young boys, ages 10 and 7.

Very simply put, the pandemic has been a great reminder that provided I have them, I have all I can ever ask for in life.

Simplicity in life truly is a blessing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.