• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Wentz-O-Meter: Week 6 at Bears

Rate Wentz in Week 6

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 3 33.3%

Votes: 3 33.3%

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
wentzometer101322.png

Our BGO Supercomputer whirred late into the night and finally delivered this week's Wentz-O-Meter score for last night's grind-it-out desperation win against the Bears, awarding Carson Wentz a 6.9 on the night.

There were a lot of data points to consider in this week's score.

Wentz came in with a biceps strain in his throwing arm that was visibly bothering him. On top of that injury, he hit his hand early in the game and was clearly in pain throughout the contest. Last night's environment in Chicago was hardly conducive to the passing game with temps in the low 40's and gusty winds. The QB was without his favorite target Jahan Dotson and Logan Thomas as well. Working behind yet another rendition of this season's OL, with several players at new positions, Wentz got decent protection but Chicago was able to get some pressure. Wentz had some impressive passes, and some woefully inaccurate ones. Samuel flat out dropped several passes including one that should have been a touchdown.

However, to his credit, Wentz continued to grind and led a drive for the go ahead score in the 2nd half. A clearly hurting Wentz delivered the best block of the season by a Commander at a critical time. And ultimately, he got the job done, albeit in an effort that was more than a little ugly at times.

How would you rate Wentz' Week 6 performance?

wentzgraph.png

I would characterize last night as definitely a gutsy performance for Carson, not necessarily a good one by any means. I was most troubled in the first half where guys were beyond wide open and he did not even look their way on several occasions. Not sure why that happens, but it was obvious last night. Is it on him, or is there more to it?

He has been through a lot as a QB, and I guess it was nice to see him get a win in a desperate situation. However, we won in spite of Wentz. In the absence of Chicago's fatal mistakes, the cries for Heinicke/Howell would have been even louder this morning.

I voted a 5, and that's on a curve. I thought Wentz brought what he could last night, but at the end of the day... he finished the day with 99 yards passing. He had about 50 yards and a TD worth of drops, but 149 and a TD is just lipstick on a pig. Playcalling again was completely suspect, and I continue to see a scheme where Wentz is not set UP for success, as much as he's depended on to produce it. Yes, you want your QB to produce success, but the easier you make it, the better the team.

Wentz missed some throws, as well as failed to find the open guy... I also have a strong confidence that a better throw on the screen to Gibson, he walks it in for a TD. Gibby had to grab it off his shoes and it threw off the whole play, a clean throw and he had blockers.

That said, we had 5 or 6 plays of 3rd and 5 or less, and on 3 of them we took deep shots. Not sure if those choices were on Wentz or Turner (though it appeared that was the target the whole way by design, but it 'could' have been Wentz's decision pre-snap to make that throw) which severely stalled the offense.

I think part of the issue is that when you are getting pressured almost every passing play, it is easy to say 'keep your eyes downfield' but much harder to do. Coming into the game with an injury probably caused by a hit as he was 'looking downfield' exacerbates the problem.

I'm just gonna put it as bluntly as I can... would YOU trust this OL to protect you?

People always want to characterize QBs in Wentz' situation as 'gun shy' or 'worried about the rush' but it's not just about self-preservation. Taking big hits in the pocket costs you down, distance, and sometimes possession. So worrying about the pass rush is not the negative fans try to make it out to be. The key is to protect your ***damn QB so he can also look downfield and doesn't have to worry every second about his survival.

Wentz ended up getting hurt further because he did hang in the pocket and try to make something happen against the Bears. I have a feeling we may not see Wentz again for a few games as he is being looked at by physicians per a team announcement.

I'll say this. If they have lost confidence in Wentz already (or perhaps never had any to begin with), this will be a perfect time to go Joe Gibbs and yank him for whichever backup they want to go with. That's exactly what Gibbs did in the opening game against the Bears at Fedex when Patrick Ramsey got dinged. Gibbs knew Ramsey wasn't it and also knew he wasn't seriously hurt. But he used it to make a change. Not saying it will happen but it's possible. If they continue to go with a dinged up Wentz over either Heinicke and Howell that will signal they really do think Wentz gives them the best chance. If they sub for him, it may indicate they've changed their minds on that.

I'm not even sure how to grade him.

No picks.
Oline didn't help him
Did gut it out.

But he was just a body back there.

So I can only come up with 5.

I was generous and gave Wentz a 4. In fairness, Curtis Samuel dropped a TD pass that he should have caught. However, Wentz was just pitiful 90% of the game.

Wentz basically has to play perfect on first and second downs in order for this team to move down the field with him as QB. He has no margin for error, because he is so bad.

When Wentz makes a bad pass on first or second down or takes a sack, the drive is basically over. This happened several times last night. I can't remember Washington ever punting the ball this much over a 3 or 4 game stretch. It's really depressing to watch.

90% of the time, Wentz is not able to make a play on 3rd and long. It's hard to win with such a limited QB who can't overcome bad throws or bad decisions on first and second down.

Our BGO Supercomputer whirred late into the night and finally delivered this week's Wentz-O-Meter score for last night's grind-it-out desperation win against the Bears, awarding Carson Wentz a 6.9 on the night.

There were a lot of data points to consider in this week's score.

Wentz came in with a biceps strain in his throwing arm that was visibly bothering him. On top of that injury, he hit his hand early in the game and was clearly in pain throughout the contest. Last night's environment in Chicago was hardly conducive to the passing game with temps in the low 40's and gusty winds. The QB was without his favorite target Jahan Dotson and Logan Thomas as well. Working behind yet another rendition of this season's OL, with several players at new positions, Wentz got decent protection but Chicago was able to get some pressure. Wentz had some impressive passes, and some woefully inaccurate ones. Samuel flat out dropped several passes including one that should have been a touchdown.

However, to his credit, Wentz continued to grind and led a drive for the go ahead score in the 2nd half. A clearly hurting Wentz delivered the best block of the season by a Commander at a critical time. And ultimately, he got the job done, albeit in an effort that was more than a little ugly at times.

How would you rate Wentz' Week 6 performance?

View attachment 6261

"A drive for the go ahead score". Are you talking about the drive that started on the Bears 5 yard line??

That's fair. But he did lead a drive for the go ahead score - Samuel just dropped the TD pass he threw. Wentz got extra points for toughness in this one. The drive you are being snarky about is the one where an injured Wentz threw the hellacious block.

Last edited:
I was generous and gave Wentz a 4. In fairness, Curtis Samuel dropped a TD pass that he should have caught. However, Wentz was just pitiful 90% of the game.

Wentz basically has to play perfect on first and second downs in order for this team to move down the field with him as QB. He has no margin for error, because he is so bad.

When Wentz makes a bad pass on first or second down or takes a sack, the drive is basically over. This happened several times last night. I can't remember Washington ever punting the ball this much over a 3 or 4 game stretch. It's really depressing to watch.

90% of the time, Wentz is not able to make a play on 3rd and long. It's hard to win with such a limited QB who can't overcome bad throws or bad decisions on first and second down.

This is kind of a contradiction... because if Wentz is 'so bad' then you don't believe he's capable of playing perfect on first and second downs.

This is the bigger point. Wentz has to play perfect on first and second down because the offense (for a multitude of reasons) is borderline incapable of producing on 3rd and long. Wentz has had his struggles within the offense, the scheme (and playcalling) has not been good when we're consistently trotting out an empty set and telegraphing our playcalling, the O-line has been terrible, and our normally dependable WRs (ALL OF THEM) have been suffering from a case of the dropsies. It's a perfect storm that creates impossible situations on 3rd down.

That block was pretty much the only thing I got excited about during the game. Lots of things happening I was getting mad about, but that play got me fired up in a good way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.