• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Week 12 - Studs, Duds, and Hat Tips

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Monday Night Football, a must win football game, all burgundy uniforms. Yup, I know what you are thinking - recipe for disaster.

For once, the Washington Football Team said enough is enough and slowly began the process of changing the narrative in a 17-15 victory over the Seattle Seahawks. In many regards, it could be argued that tonight's performance was the team's best performance of the year. It was crazy at times with some freak plays, the referees got involved and tried their hardest to sink us, we played without a kicker, but when you really step back and look at it, the 17-15 score line is really deceiving. We mopped the floor with the Seahawks tonight. Now sitting at 5-6, the Burgundy and Gold are in sole possession of the 7th and final playoff spot in the NFC. At Halloween, it was inconceivable to think of this as a possibility, but the team is playing their best football of the season and is really hitting their stride. Can we maintain this level down the stretch and maintain our playoff spot? Time will tell. In the meantime, let's get right to our studs, duds, and hat tips.

Studs:

1. Taylor Heinicke: the stat line for the night was one of efficiency - 27 of 35, 223 passing yards, 1 TD, and 1 INT. I thought Heinicke did a nice job throughout the evening of simply taking what was there and not forcing the issue. In what was utter domination for Washington in terms of time of possession, Heinicke did a nice job, especially late in the game, of extending drives with some key passes and keeping the clock moving. The touchdown pass to McKissic in the first half was a good example of such - just dump it off when nothing is there and let your skill guys do the rest of the work. He did the same thing on several occasions in our 8-plus minute drive in the 4th quarter that should have sealed the game. He hit Logan Thomas on a short pass on a key 2nd and 9 that he then converted into 12 yards and a first down. A bit later, on 3rd and 12 with 3:38 to play, throwing the dump off to McKissic set us up for a makeable 4th down where Heinicke then connected with DeAndre Carter on a nice 15 yard pass. As well, #4 did a better job this week of not taking sacks and used his feet in a few instances to get out of trouble. All in all, he was better than Russell Wilson, who has long been regarded as one of the top signal callers in the NFL. Nothing really stood out - he was just efficient and executed what was asked of him in a critical late November game.

2. Antonio Gibson: on the night, Gibson accumulated 29 carries, 111 yards, and 1 rushing TD. As well, he contributed a bit in the pass game with 35 total yards on 7 receptions. Let us not forget what was arguably his biggest play of the night, the successful two-point convert which proved to be the difference on the scoreboard. All in all, it was the type of performance and stat line that you associated with pass successes in Redskins football - have your RB carry the load and wear down the opponent more and more as the game goes on. I thought Gibson ran with some of the best burst, power, and vision we have seen from him all season long. I have personally always felt that #24 held the keys to success for this offense in 2021. We are beginning to see just how efficient we can be as a unit when he becomes our centerpiece. The one blemish on his night was going out of bounds on the late 3rd and goal with just over 2 minutes to play in the ball game. It preserved roughly 30 seconds of time for Seattle prior to the 2 minute warning. Ironically, Seattle scored with just over 20 seconds left in the ball game to pull within 2 points. Thankfully it didn't affect the outcome in the end, but Antonio Gibson still seems to be having a brain fart or lack of concentration type play every week.

3. JD McKissic: can we just start calling him JD "Electrissic?" Every single game, no matter how many touches he gets, he finds a way to add juice and electricity to what this offense is doing. Two 10 yard touchdowns on the night made for a pretty good day at the office for JD. He is a fun player to watch when he gets the ball in his hands and just surges forward with speed and burst. He has quickly made his claim as potentially the best free agency acquisition in the Ron Rivera era thus far. I certainly hope there is mutual interest to maintain a relationship into the future between JD and the organization. We need to find a way to keep this guy in burgundy and gold. He is one of those glue type pieces that does all the little things, which every successful team needs to win.

4. Kam Curl: in November and December last year, Kam Curl was making impact play after impact play for this defense. The same seems to be happening this November. He has really amped up his play to another level and the defense on a whole is benefitting from it. He notched 4 tackles and a key sack on Russell Wilson last night. After the game, Logan Thomas started touting Kam as potentially being one of the top five safeties in the NFL. If he maintains this level of play, in due time, that might very well come to fruition.

5. Landon Collins: the coaching staff has finally bit the bullet and put this guy in a role where he can succeed, and much like what we are seeing with Kam Curl's play, it is taking the defense to a whole new level. Collins was really active all over the field last night, notching 5 tackles. His most important play of the night was the forced fumble/turnover on Alex Collins. Prior to that play, it was 7-3 Seattle, they had just intercepted Heinicke, Wilson had just hit Tyler Lockett on a long 39 yard reception, and the Seahawks were banging on the door near midfield. You felt like a score there by the Seahawks could have changed the look of this game. Thankfully, Collins delivered in a spot when we needed it most and the offense followed by doing exactly what it needed to - converting the turnover into 7 points on the next drive. It really was a game changer.

6. Shaka Toney: it was a pretty tall order asking this kid to give a bit of a contribution in the absence of Sweat and Young against one of the better QBs in football. Regardless, Toney delivered and had his best game as a pro. He got home and sacked Wilson once and made an absolutely amazing hustle play to catch Russ on another occasions where he appeared to be on the verge of taking off and making a big play with his feet. His continued development can be huge for our defense in the coming weeks and even into next season. Let's hope we keep hearing his name called for good reasons.

7. Kendall Fuller: we were used to hearing Kendall Fuller's name called repeatedly in September and October for all the wrong reasons. His struggles in terms of coverage were massive and it seemed like he had fallen off the face of the earth. He has slowly but surely played better and it culminated last night with his best performance of the season. Fuller appeared to be matched up against DK Metcalf all night long and he shut him down completely all night long as well. Metcalf had one reception for 13 yards and 4 targets on the evening. He appeared visibly frustrated and Kendall Fuller likely played a large role in that. Fuller's huge stop on the Seattle two-point convert sealed the victory for Washington and it was only fitting that he was defender who made the difference on that play. He was our best player of the evening.

Duds:

1. Referees: we saw atrocious officiating in the Dallas-Vegas Thanksgiving matchup and that trend seemed to continue in spots las night. I thought the referees missed a defenseless receiver call on the Logan Thomas interception play. As well, the overturned TD to Thomas was nonsense. The call on the field was a touchdown. There is no way anybody can tell me that there was enough evidence to overturn that catch. Maybe I was wearing burgundy coloured glasses, but I thought we got hosed. I think John Mara was in the official's ear while he reviewed the play. On a positive note, we aren't going to be talking about how the officials' decisions lost us the game for once. We overcame adversity and that is huge in terms of this team's development and maturity.

Hat Tips:

1. Scott Turner: he called a nice game again last night for my liking. I felt we did exactly what we needed to in order to win. Keep Wilson on the sideline, control the clock, and put yourself in makeable 3rd down situations. I mean, we were outgaining Seattle by 190 yards of offense prior to their final possession of the night. We had 371 total yards compared to their 267. We ran for 152 yards compared to their 34. We had 27 first downs compared to their 10. Most importantly, Turner committed to doing what every other opponent of Seattle has successfully done this year - keep their defense on the field. The time of possession battle was lopsided in our favour (41:40 to 18:20).

2. Ron Rivera: the blocked extra point, playing without a kicker, the overturned Logan Thomas touchdown, the late drive to almost tie the game by Wilson on a night where he otherwise was doing nothing - this game had the feel of one that would somehow slip through our hands. Give credit to Rivera for instilling what seems to be a mentally tough attitude into our players. They rose to the occasion in a primetime game at home and that shows how he is helping this young group of players grow in maturity. That is all we can ask for at this stage in the team's development.

3. Tress Way: I thought he did an admirable job of handling kickoffs last night. It could have gone a lot worse. They were all kept in bounds and Seattle did not start any drive on which he kicked off beyond their own 30 yard line.

4. Defensive Line: led by Allen and Payne, these guys played like bullies last night. The line just seems to be a cohesive unit right now. They are playing disciplined football, executing their assignments, and the defense as a whole is getting rewarded because of it. People left these guys for dead without Young and Sweat, but instead, we seem to ironically be playing a better brand of football in their absence. Go figure.

That's it for this week. I am tired and emotionally exhausted after almost experiencing my heart give out during last night's game, but am very thankful that we find ourselves currently in the #7 seed in the NFC!

Do you agree/disagree with this week's list? Who did we miss?

Keep throwing stones.

Nice, CH.

The only weak spot (Dud) to me last night was the Special Teams.

The left side of the line collapsing on the blocked xp. Carter gave me two flashbacks to Steven Sims. Gave up an onside conversion (saved by a Seattle brain fart that had no bearing on the play) and nearly gave up a second.

Last edited:
100% correct, Chris. That was a subpar performance last night. Even the Cheeseman snap on the blocked XP was horrific. It seemed like a play doomed to fail from the get go.

I would add Logan Thomas to the studs section. This guy came back in a big way. The catch early in the game on the sideline was magnificent. Heinicke kind of hung him out to dry on that INT. And then that was a brilliant catch at the goal line in what should have sealed the game.

As for the duds, the refs are right. That does not in any way shape or form meet the definition of clear and obvious. The ref seemed like he was reoffciiating the play, which is not the job of replay. Also, the angle they showed to say “Yeah, it hit the ground”, you can’t see his hand. Which all the other angles show his hand is under the football with control. Which is part of the convoluted catch rules. So they blew that call for sure since it was called a TD on the field. I’m going to guess the refs on the field were not sure and so they asked the head ref to figure it out. I know one person said TD, but then they had a conference trying to figure it out. Just a bad job by the refs. Also, what is up with a ref wearing glasses like a blind man? I mean, I get he probably needs them, but this doesn’t help the stereotype of blind referees.

As for hat tips, I’ll give one to the Seattle defense. They missed very few tackles. When someone got their hands on Gibson, McKissic, or anyone else, they usually went down. They missed a few tackles in the second half, probably due to fatigue, but they tackled better than any team I’ve seen this year. Which also makes it more impressive that Turner stuck with the run since they weren’t really breaking off any big ones.

pic of the blind ref

4C34BFF8-8AF9-451A-8053-EC86FBB36EC2.jpeg

Last edited:
I’m sure I’m not the only one who thought this, but if it takes you 10 minutes of film review to determine a call, there is no way that evidence meets the ‘definitive’ threshold. Only Washington, at home, on MNF (with a streak of 7 straight MNF losses) in a game they dominated from start to finish, on a play ruled TD in live action, sees that TD reversed.

Yeah the reversal was a head-scratcher. Too bad too because the WFT deserved to win that game by two scores. Seattle was thoroughly outplayed and only a flukey special teams play, a kicker injury, and two defensive breakdowns kept things close.

This is the team we expected in the offseason. I'm glad for the team that they've figured things out. It will make things very interesting in December, especially if the COVID-laden Cowboys continue struggle down the stretch.

I’m sure I’m not the only one who thought this, but if it takes you 10 minutes of film review to determine a call, there is no way that evidence meets the ‘definitive’ threshold. Only Washington, at home, on MNF (with a streak of 7 straight MNF losses) in a game they dominated from start to finish, on a play ruled TD in live action, sees that TD reversed.

This is literally the definition of the review rules. In fact, early in the year, calls we could see were wrong were upheld for this very reason. They just stuck with the call on the field because it wasn’t obvious after about 3 minutes. But here we are getting screwed again on MNF.

I said in chat that if it takes that long to review a play then there really can't be clear and obvious evidence to overturn the on-field call. Then the broadcast team found the view of Thomas from upfield. From that one view, I have to agree with the final outcome - it wasn't a TD and should have been overturned.

The O-Line needs a shout-out of some kind for its play last night as well. Anytime you have the ball for over 2/3rds of the game and put up over 150 yards rushing, the line is playing great. Throw in the fact that we once again changed Centers in the middle of the game and there needs to be some recognition.

Was McCain a dud for anybody last night? There was the one long pass play earlier in the contest here he maybe appeared to lose an assignment. I am not sure how the analysts broke that one down - I was watching a French Canadian broadcast and had no clue what was being said.

Studs - Rivera, Del Rio, Turner - I'm probably in the top 3 of people who have been outspoken, harsh criticism, hyperbole and overall just deficating at the mouth over these coaches this season. However, I will eat said "crow" when deserved. They had a great game plan last night, control the clock, keep the defense fresh, don't overthink it (get cute) and after losing our kicker which makes this a different game if he doesn't get injured, composed and playing just good football.

Defense as a whole, very few BAD mistakes, yeah the long pass at the end and TD but they beat them up all game. I saw a quote from Allen after the game "I hate losing more than I like winning, winning is what your supposed to do. That defense looked as a good as a unit as we've seen all year.

Can I nominate the guy responsible for ensuring no FedEx Field shit water rains down upon paying customers for the Dud list?

If he can manage to make this happen in the Owners Box I’m willing to forgive all though :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.