• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Vikings Week - Studs, Duds, and Hat Tips

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Games like today are a reminder every once in a while that I still got it in me to care and feel emotion when it comes to this team. Plain and simple, I'm upset more so than I have been at any point this season, or in several of the previous past years. Maybe it was Kirk. Maybe I didn't want that guy to walk into our stadium and win at our expense. Maybe it was the fact that we were in complete control of the game midway through the 3rd quarter against the #2 seed in the NFC. Regardless, we did what this franchise has done for what has seemed like an eternity - find creative ways to lose games that we should have won easily. Let's get right to this week's Studs, Duds, and Hat Tips.

Studs:

1. Defensive Line - Kirk Cousins is going to be feeling it not just tomorrow, but throughout the week. Life wasn't easy for the Vikings' signal caller today. The interior of Payne and Allen made life miserable and we consistently got pressure on Cousins throughout the day. His stat line today was 22 of 40 for 265 yards, 1 INT and 2 TDs. He made some nice throws here and there, but when you hold Cousins, who has been applauded for his play this year, to those kinds of numbers, it feels like a game you should have walked away winning.

2. Kendall Fuller - #29 probably had his best game of the season. He was solid in coverage, making several stops and chipped in nicely on run defense on a few occasions as well. It was a much needed impactful game for Fuller, who many harped on early in the year for his struggles. Hopefully he can consistently bring the type of performance he had today as we head down the stretch.

Duds:

1. Referees - some of us joked in the BGO Chat today that it was Jerome Boger's crew officiating the game, and that it spelled trouble. You know what they say - death, taxes, and a Boger officiating crew that is going to Boger. The Benjamin St. Juste pick six that should have made the game 24-7 Washington (and should have essentially ended the game) was reversed in what seemed like a case of two players in Jefferson and St. Juste that were equally guilty of hand fighting. I was thinking to myself for a large portion of the game that it was a fairly clean game and Boger's crew was avoiding the yellow laundry today. Nope. In the most critical of moments, they made sure that they got involved.

2. Scott Turner - fire this man already. The offense does not seem to be tailored to the things that Taylor Heinicke can do well. We aren't seeing quick throws, we aren't seeing Heinicke moving around a whole lot. Instead, many plays are slow to develop and Taylor is a sitting duck waiting to take a sack far too often at times. That was especially apparent in the first half where we had less than 50 passing yards. A really strong defensive showing against a pretty solid offense was wasted due to offensive inefficiency, and that largely falls at the feet of Scott Turner.

3. Ron Rivera - I applaud Rivera for keeping this team together this season when so many people wanted to rip it apart at 1-4. His in-game decision-making was bad at critical junctures in the game today. Having already wasted a timeout deciding if they wanted to go for it on a 4th and 1 in the second half, Rivera then decided to challenge a 2nd down play where Heinicke scrambled for 9 and a half yards. Instead of having faith/confidence in his team to convert on a 3rd and short at worst, we unnecessarily threw the challenge on a play where it was definitely not conclusive that Heinicke passed the line of gain. That wasted timeout might have come in handy as the Vikings were trying to milk the clock before their game winning field goal.

4. John Ridgeway - I heard many people talking about how Ridgeway was a great find for defensive interior depth, after acquiring him off waivers from Dallas. In the long run, that might turn out to be true. However, today, Ridgeway made a critical mistake with a personal foul on the Vikings game winning FG attempt. Instead of giving us 1:55 to work with to come up with a miracle, his blunder left us with 12 seconds to come up with a miracle. Where is Patrick Mahomes when you need him?

5. Taylor Heinicke - with the Commanders seemingly in control of the game in the third quarter and up 7 points, Heinicke threw a critical interception which Harrison Smith returned deep into Washington territory. It led to a TD which tied the game and it felt as though the game basically slipped out of our control at that point, and that we would not recover. Heinicke magic was not in the cards today. Sometimes his costly errors don't hurt us in the end. Today they most certainly did in a huge way.

Hat Tips:

1. Jamin Davis - on a few critical third down plays today, Davis applied good pressure on Cousins up the middle, forcing punts for the Vikings. He made a few notable tackles as well in the run game and continues to show that he is slowly growing in his role. For a player that looked like he might be a dud #1 draft pick, that is encouraging news for fans of the Commanders.

Up next, the Commanders have a difficult road game in Philadelphia. Will they come out flat following a heartbreaking loss vs. Minnesota, or will they fight like they have done so often in the Ron Rivera era? Following that, the Texans and Falcons are on the slate. Anything less than 6-6 after the Atlanta game and it is likely that we will be drawing the curtains on the 2022 season.

I agree with everything except the St. Juste penalty. It was more than typical WR/DB hand fighting. St. Juste had hold of Jefferson’s shoulder pads. You just can’t do that.

I agree with everything except the St. Juste penalty. It was more than typical WR/DB hand fighting. St. Juste had hold of Jefferson’s shoulder pads. You just can’t do that.

Chris,

If I watch it a few more times, I will probably end up agreeing with your assessment of the play. While watching, I am going to be honest - I wasn't likely being objective because I KNEW that the reversal was going to sink us. This is part of the trauma that comes with being a fan of this team, as you know as well as I do. I made the mistake of becoming a bit too invested today, likely because Snyder is on his way out. In reality though, that is not going to make this version of the roster and coaching staff improve any faster in 2022.

Chris,

If I watch it a few more times, I will probably end up agreeing with your assessment of the play. While watching, I am going to be honest - I wasn't likely being objective because I KNEW that the reversal was going to sink us. This is part of the trauma that comes with being a fan of this team, as you know as well as I do. I made the mistake of becoming a bit too invested today, likely because Snyder is on his way out. In reality though, that is not going to make this version of the roster and coaching staff improve any faster in 2022.
I hate to say it, but Ws may not actually help this team in the medium-long term. I mean, the new owner has to make a decision on keeping this coaching staff. If you think this coaching staff (and this structure) is a winner, then sure, winning is best for fan feelings and the team in the future.

Otherwise, if you believe this coaching staff (and this structure) are horrible (as I have come to be convinced), then you look at it and say this team losing isn't the worst thing in the world. It sucks to watch, and like you I was also invested more this week it seemed (!!), but maybe losing some hard fought games is just what the doctor ordered for "cleaning house" to be an easy decision. If they limp into the playoffs or even playoff conversations, that decision isn't as easy.

I may just be trying to see the silver lining though. Really wanted to beat the Vikings with all of the former members of the team / org.

Good ol Ron on the sidelines laughing it up with the refs just rubbed me the wrong way. He's got zero fire in him now and just there to collect a check and have a good ol time.

Scott Turner is a piece of garbage who needs to go. He has no rhyme or reason why he calls plays and never goes with what works. I loathe that guy.

As soon as Heinicke threw that pick the team gave up. We gave up a huge pass to Jefferson, two big runs to Cook, and nobody seemed to care.

Seeing cousins on the plane dancing in no shirt and chains pissed me off. We let him off the hook with only 5 minutes needed.

In all fairness, Cornelius Lucas should have been included in the dud list as well. I believe he may have been directly responsible for two of the sacks that Heinicke took. Now, Turner may have called long-developing pass plays which contributed to the issue on both occasions, but Lucas didn't even put up a fight and just got flat out abused.

Offensive line needs to be right near the top of the list for positions we need to address in the draft/FA this coming offseason.

In all fairness, Cornelius Lucas should have been included in the dud list as well. I believe he may have been directly responsible for two of the sacks that Heinicke took. Now, Turner may have called long-developing pass plays which contributed to the issue on both occasions, but Lucas didn't even put up a fight and just got flat out abused.

Offensive line needs to be right near the top of the list for positions we need to address in the draft/FA this coming offseason.
Yeah, I like Cosmi but this is the second year in a row he hasn't been able to keep himself on the field.

Curtis Samuel should be getting a hat tip, if not an outright stud mention.

While I partially agree with you, Bob, I wrestled with this one for a while writing this week's entry.

Minus Samuel's 49 yard TD, which he was greatly assisted on by the ref's interference, he had 16 receiving yards on 2 receptions.

When he gets the ball in his hands, either through the air or on the ground, he is such a dynamic player. I simply wish we had an OC that used all our weapons properly. Then we might be fun to watch.

That 49 yd catch while an awful throw was a great effort. You could see Samuel never took his eyes off it and caught that ball in an extreme crowd. He also had a play from the RB spot - with a 16 yd gain. You're right though P., they simply don't use him enough. On most teams, Gibson and Samuel would be getting fed but we just inexplicably shelve them for stretches.

I was also thinking of the comeback catch Samuel had on the scramble drill. That play stood out to me. If I remember correctly, that was a 3rd down play on the drive where Milne would eventually score.

And yeah, he had a bit of help from the ref but also had the presence of mind to complete the play and get the TD when no one touched him.

However, I take your point about his total numbers on the day.

Sometimes I wonder if Turner simply has too many weapons and it paralyzes him.

And Canadian Hog, thanks for taking the time to evaluate and put down your thoughts. After the kind of loss we watched yesterday, I'm too mad to do it. It's always the same with this team. They do enough good things at some point in a season to give you a bit of hope, then piss away the season.

The Vikings are a pretty good team. Yesterday was an opportunity to see what we could do against good competition. We found out our defense is for real and getting better every week. We also found out that our offense is who we thought they were. Bad. And even if we'd had decent QBing yesterday, you got the feeling Rivera and Turner were going to find a way to **** it up.

Whether it was Turner calling ridiculous trick plays in the opponent's side of the field on key possessions, throwing ill-advised challenge flags and wasting timeouts, or just general incompetence, Rivera and Turner absolutely sucked yesterday.

And of course we had the officials in this one who made 2 very questionable calls that were enough to decide the game on their own. First there was the questionable interference call on Jamin Davis that negated a pick 6. But the one that really burned me was the penalty on the FG at the end. While that technically may have been a penalty, why throw that flag in an extremely hard fought game for something that had absolutely zero impact on a successful FG attempt for a penalty that is hard to even define as it involves 'intent'. I couldn't believe they threw that flag which effectively ended the game in our home stadium. Really???

This one is hard to take.

Does any team get less use out of the TE position than Washington?

I'll ask again - why is Logan Thomas active? I don't know whether he's still seriously hampered by the injury, or if they just aren't using him for anything other than blocking (which is not his strong suit btw) - but he's a waste of a roster spot right now. Bates is a complete afterthought. And the guy who has had an impact at least occasionally barely sees the field.

I'll ask again - why is Logan Thomas active? I don't know whether he's still seriously hampered by the injury, or if they just aren't using him for anything other than blocking (which is not his strong suit btw) - but he's a waste of a roster spot right now. Bates is a complete afterthought. And the guy who has had an impact at least occasionally barely sees the field.

Thomas looks to be moving more naturally now vs when he first returned, where he looked a bit gimpy, but he is just not the same player anymore. He was a key target last season prior to injury.

And Canadian Hog, thanks for taking the time to evaluate and put down your thoughts. After the kind of loss we watched yesterday, I'm too mad to do it. It's always the same with this team. They do enough good things at some point in a season to give you a bit of hope, then piss away the season.

The Vikings are a pretty good team. Yesterday was an opportunity to see what we could do against good competition. We found out our defense is for real and getting better every week. We also found out that our offense is who we thought they were. Bad. And even if we'd had decent QBing yesterday, you got the feeling Rivera and Turner were going to find a way to **** it up.

Whether it was Turner calling ridiculous trick plays in the opponent's side of the field on key possessions, throwing ill-advised challenge flags and wasting timeouts, or just general incompetence, Rivera and Turner absolutely sucked yesterday.

And of course we had the officials in this one who made 2 very questionable calls that were enough to decide the game on their own. First there was the questionable interference call on Jamin Davis that negated a pick 6. But the one that really burned me was the penalty on the FG at the end. While that technically may have been a penalty, why throw that flag in an extremely hard fought game for something that had absolutely zero impact on a successful FG attempt for a penalty that is hard to even define as it involves 'intent'. I couldn't believe they threw that flag which effectively ended the game in our home stadium. Really???

This one is hard to take.

I am right there with you, John. I was more angry than I have been in many years after that loss yesterday. Did it have something to do with the Snyder selling news? It probably did, because I now have renewed hope. The problem is that for the time being, the coordinator on offense and some of the holes on the roster are not getting instantly fixed because of news related to a team sale. Also, seeing Cousins dancing shirtless and doing his "you like that" bit didn't help me in the anger category. I can't wait until he folds when it matters in the season and he goes back to barbequing.

I suppose we just all have to be patient and remember that at the end of the day, Snyder selling is the biggest victory of the season.

Thomas looks to be moving more naturally now vs when he first returned, where he looked a bit gimpy, but he is just not the same player anymore. He was a key target last season prior to injury.

Mark said it, and I agree with him. Armani Rogers seems to be a kid with some intrigue. This team needs to figure out a way to see what he's got and evaluate him further in live-game situations. Every time he touches the ball, he too seems to make something pretty exciting happen. Get him involved.

Cousins is such a fraud. In every interview yesterday, he's all about how 'grateful' he was for his time in Washington. Mmmhmmm. Sure you are Cousins. :redpunch:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.