• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Myth of Pass Happy Scott Turner

I didn't mean to imply that I think you are defending Turner. I know you aren't - at least not beyond the idea that he shouldn't be judged until he has a top-level QB, which is still something of a defense but I understand it.

However, in this case, I think I can have it both ways because while he is running the ball more, likely to address Hienicke's arm strength, my perception is that is pretty much all he is doing to adapt to Taylor's attributes as a player.

Heinicke is mobile - where is the designed use of that? I'm not saying run him 10 times a game but 1 or 2 designed runs early in the game would serve to keep the defense a lot more honest. Where are the quick slants? Where are the RPOs? Where are the roll-outs to move the pocket and get Taylor potentially more favorable sightlines?

And it isn't just Heinicke. ST has been banging on about the use of 7-step drops with slow-developing routes all season. Not good calls for this OL and I don't see that changing enough.

Gibson was a monster in the passing game in Week 1 but in the last 2 games, with McKissic OUT, Gibson has been targeted just 6 times (3 in each game). Not only is that not an increase in targets per game, it's a drop.

Amari Rogers catches almost everything that is thrown at him and is averaging nearly 13 yards per reception. We have thrown to him 6 whole times this year. With Taylor's arm and sight limitations, wouldn't throwing it to a huge TE with good hands be an advantage?

And I could talk about Turner's tendencies and when/how they should be broken to maximum effect but SkinsNumberOne did a great job of breaking that down above already.

Bottom line - I think that Turner is an okay Offensive Coordinator but just okay. I don't think he will ever be great and I don't think he will ever truly elevate the talent he has but rather always be in need of exceptional talent to be more than just okay.

I have a lot of the same complaints. I have been seeing some designed Heinicke runs and slants called but agree with most of that. I think to an extent they are trying to protect Heinicke from his own reckless nature - especially given Wentz is not available. That seems like a smart move to me at least right now but I’ll confess we are a better offense when he is more of an RPO QB.

Especially agree on Gibson but they may also be looking to keep him fresh as he has gotten hurt both previous seasons down the stretch. Rogers is also hurt but I do like him. I also don’t understand why they don’t throw to Bates or involve him more as he was starting to produce late last year.

Week 12
Passing plays: 23
Rushing plays: 37

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.