• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Redskins Sign Jonathan Goff and Neil Rackers

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
For Immediate Release
April 30, 2012

REDSKINS SIGN JONATHAN GOFF AND NEIL RACKERS

ASHBURN, Va. – The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed unrestricted free agent linebacker Jonathan Goff and unrestricted free agent kicker Neil Rackers. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.

Goff (6-2, 241) was originally selected by the New York Giants in the fifth round (165th overall) of the 2008 NFL Draft out of Vanderbilt. He has appeared in 37 career games with 20 starts in four NFL seasons, all with the Giants. Prior to missing the 2011 season with a knee injury, Goff started all 16 games for the Giants in 2010, accounting for 52 tackles (29 solo), two passes defensed, one sack, one forced fumble and one fumble recovered, according to STATS, LLC.

The 26-year-old linebacker played collegiately at Vanderbilt, where he played in 46 games with 36 starts and posted career totals of 307 tackles (202 solo), 15.5 tackles for loss, 6.5 sacks, three interceptions and three forced fumbles. As a senior in 2007, he was named second-team All-SEC after serving as team captain and leading the squad for the second-straight year with a career-high 113 tackles (61 solo).

Goff was born on Dec. 12, 1985. He attended St. John’s Preparatory School in Danvers, Mass., where he played safety, receiver quarterback, tailback and outside linebacker at various times during a three-year career that included undefeated regular season records during the 2001 and 2002 seasons.

Rackers was originally selected by the Cincinnati Bengals in the sixth round (169th overall) of the 2000 NFL Draft out of Illinois. He has appeared in 180 NFL games, converting 264-of-330 field goal attempts (80.0 percent) as well as 372-of-378 PATs (98.4 percent).

The 12-year NFL veteran spent his first three seasons (2000-02) with the Bengals before joining the Arizona Cardinals. After spending the 2003-09 seasons in Arizona, Rackers appeared in 32 regular season games with the Houston Texans from 2010-11. Since entering the league in 2000, Rackers has scored 1,164 career points, the seventh-most in the NFL in that time frame.

Rackers, 35, played collegiately at Illinois, where he set the school’s single-season scoring record with 110 points as a senior in 1999, connecting on 20-of-25 field goal attempts and all 35 PATs. He was born on Aug. 16, 1976. He attended St. Thomas Aquinas-Mercy H.S. in St. Louis, where he played football, baseball and soccer and earned all-conference honors in all three sports.

Hopefully Rackers can give Gano some veteran tips. I'd like to go with the young leg, but I'd like to see more consistency. Better blocking up front wouldn't hurt either.

I like these signings. Rackers is a proven commodity. Those who say he is old at 35 miss the point that kickers like quarterbacks can play effectively into their mid to late thirties unlike backs and receivers.

Goff to me is a risk because of the ACL, but if he is healthy for camp I think he nails down the inside job behind Fletcher and is the first guy off the bench for either ILB spot if there is an injury.

Based on memory and at least this one vid, Goff seems like a solid, workmanlike ILB.

Against the run...very little wasted motion...downhill player...solid reads...good lane discipline...flows well to the ball without overpursuing. Doesn't go for "woo" hit, wraps up. Not great speed but takes good angles.

Not much to review against the pass. If anyone has some intel on that score, light 'em up.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdlnexBi2sg[/media]

Neil Rackers needs to learn to hit them between the uprights. Sheesh.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZghatdM8mo[/media]

I'm still a little stunned that Rackers was walking the street this off season. I had him in BGO FF last year and he was money.

Rackers has been money for years. I understand wanting to see Gano develop but Rackers is simply better at this stage, and like a lot of you guys I'm a little shocked he was available.

Shanahan had Jason Elam in Denver who was like a Swiss watch. When was the last time our kicking game was legit?

I'm still a little stunned that Rackers was walking the street this off season. I had him in BGO FF last year and he was money.

Makes me wonder if there's not something wrong with him? On the other hand, the Texans lost a lot of key free agents this offseason.

Redskins still making a strong push to sign Owen Schmitt. Texans and Broncos are in the mix as well.

Are the Redskins going to carry a backup fullback to Darrel Young in place of Sellers?

Sellers could double as a tight end in a pinch, Schmitt is a FB only.

Tough to see with the competition at WR, OL and RB now that we keep two FBs.

Not sure - just reporting what I know.

Here is another tidbit...

Byron Westbrook has a three year deal sitting on the table from the Redskins. My guess is that he takes it at some point - not too much interest out there for him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.