• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Project 11 - Alex Smith Recovery Story

You can't compare this to Jordan Reed. Reed literally risks further brain injury if he continues to play. It's ironic that you used that as an analogy, since even with Jordan Reed, the NFL isn't blocking him from attempting to play. They should. It's literally criminal that they aren't. But he's still out there. The only thing Alex Smith risks is breaking that leg again. Not being his surgeon/MD, it's impossible to know if that's more or less likely. Like I mentioned previously, despite the horrible nature of his injury (the spiral fracture alone was bad enough, but the fact that it was a compound fracture, and all the issues that resulted - just terrible), his repaired bone may end up stronger than it was before with all that titanium in place. There would be no basis to medically bar him from playing if the leg passes a physical. Him not being able to be the same QB because he's not as mobile would not be a reason to prohibit him from playing.

I don't give agents as much credit as you do. But ultimately I think the agent is going to do whatever his client wants him to do.

I don't know Smith or his wife, so that dynamic is hard to have an opinion on. But most wives are going to 'support their husband' when push comes to shove.

I really think it comes down to - is that leg fully healed and strong enough that can he get back to being able to play at a high level?

Like I said, I hope your right bud. I just don't see it in the way that my mind works. Maybe I just can't wrap my brain around the idea that the leg ever is healthy enough, and that's making my try to punch holes in that idea... but man it would be arguably the greatest comeback in the history of sports.

Well - we just saw the raw, terrible details of what he experienced. Pretty hard not to have that color one's assessment. I don't know if he'll ever take the field as a legitimate QB again (vs. some token play as a 'tribute'). I'm more approaching it from the medical standpoint and from that vantage point I think it is possible. And like you, I have mixed feelings. I don't know if I hope for it or not.

his leg was SOOOOOOOOOOO bad! The infection, the opening it up, the muscle coming to the front! OOOOOOOOOOOF!!

I am shocked he is even walking let alone working out as hard as he is. I was also shocked his wife recommended to amputate and they didn't.

but, I was a little shocked it ended like it did. nothing current; it seemed to just end at the 2019 season.

Does anyone know if this is streaming anywhere I can get it in the UK?

I'd love to see it, but not sure where to find it.

if you have the internet you can get it on YouTube. someone put it up there the other day, and that is how I saw it. I don't have live TV.

I've been looking around on YouTube and all I'm finding is trailers, snippets and a 15 min video of a Doctor going over the video and explaining some of it (which was basically the horrific bits!).

I can't seem to find the full video

it looks like they just removed it. makes sense.

do you have the ESPN app? I have seen it on there, but I didnt need to click it.

his wife just posted a video of him working out and he looks really good....for not taking live hits.

I think that is the deciding factor. how hard can he get hit in his leg and still be ok?

This re airs tonight supposedly. I just checked ESPN and it's showing College Basketball so we will see. If you haven't watched this, it's incredible. The photos are graphic and can be a jarring, but the dynamic of the story is mind blowing.

and MAN was I wrong.

Last edited:
  • Fist Bump
Reactions: Om
So.... I guess VOTE for Alex Smith for NFL on Fox's choice for Comeback Player of the Year

It's a tight race

Last edited:
Alex Smith was interviewed by 60 minutes, it will air now.

This sounds like someone who want's to keep playing football

Not sure I want him at his current number... I also don't think any team is bringing him in to start so it's likely if he wants to keep playing it's going to be a backup capacity. You could do A LOT worse than Alex Smith as a backup, even in his limited capacity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.