• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

PFT: Redskins Plan to Franchise Fred Davis

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date
I should have been a little more clear. I do not think there is a single player this year who we need to franchise. I was just wondering why we were considering franchising any player on our roster.
Maybe it's a psychological ploy to show Dumb Dumb we really like him, and think he is that valuable to us. WTF knows?

I should have been a little more clear. I do not think there is a single player this year who we need to franchise. I was just wondering why we were considering franchising any player on our roster.

You don't think we should franchise our best player on offense in a contract year? Davis may have his faults, but he had only 9 less catches, ~150 fewer yards and 2 less TDs than the leading receiver on the team, in 4 less games.

Hopefully Hank can step it up next season, but Davis is clearly the best receiving option on the team right now. Can't lose him to free agency.

You don't think we should franchise our best player on offense in a contract year? Davis may have his faults, but he had only 9 less catches, ~150 fewer yards and 2 less TDs than the leading receiver on the team, in 4 less games.

Hopefully Hank can step it up next season, but Davis is clearly the best receiving option on the team right now. Can't lose him to free agency.

Well said, I agree completely. I also think we will either draft/pick up another WR to go along with Hank, Gaffney and Moss but Fred is valuable no matter what.

I think it also gives the team a measure of protection too. If he gets popped for weed again next year and is suspended we're only out a one year deal rather than a multi-year deal.

Although to be honest I'm not sure how suspensions work against the cap.

If this report turns out to be true, then there must be some major concerns about Landry. I'm hoping he will be fine, but this certainly raises a few eyebrows.

Can we franchise a player and use a transition tag on another? Or can we use just one of those options? Also, it will be interesting to see who will be retained from among the RFAs.

One other thing. We can't discount the possibility of a team making an attractive offer for Davis. I prefer to keep him, but for the right price... :)

If we were talking about someone who just played a full season, one who was not suspended for the last 4 games of the season, then of course. It would be a no brainer.

But he is one more positive away from being suspended for a year. Maybe if we were 2 or 3 years removed from the suspension...maybe/probably you'd do it. But this kid is walking a fine line right now and has too much to prove to be considered for even a one year contract that would pay him like one of the top 5 TE's in the league.

Edit: I will say I was one of those who said dump this kid after he was suspended, so...

I think it also gives the team a measure of protection too. If he gets popped for weed again next year and is suspended we're only out a one year deal rather than a multi-year deal.

Although to be honest I'm not sure how suspensions work against the cap.

I have no idea about cap implications either, but the one-year protection is a good point.

The salary of a player who is suspended still counts against the team's cap. The NFL gives the money to charity.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I view it as somewhat pathetic that Fred ****ing Davis is the guy we reportedly have decided we're so afraid of losing we use the franchise tag on him. The guy has really had one decent season, and even then has shown the propensity to make incredibly stupid decisions at times (both on and off the field).

Sad testament to where we are if true.

this is a team that is one season removed from casey rabach as our offencive MVP. I love Helu, and Hank is on his way to becoming a good one, but who else on O is even worth having around? cooley is a badn aid, TW is a dumbass our oline is filled with second tier guys, we have needed a complete rebuildon offence for 5 years.

It would be like making that same old mistake of over-paying for free agents, except this time it would be one of our own
Some have said that we need to start coveting our own home-grown players more. This is a move in that direction regardless of what the risks are concerning his marajuana use.

I see little downside here. He was our best offensive player this past season and is young. We aren't in a position to let talent walk on that side of the ball yet (perhaps a good offseason this year and F Davis becomes less valuable to us).

It would be like making that same old mistake of over-paying for free agents, except this time it would be one of our own

See, I don't view it as the same at all. It is a one year thing so has Zero cap implications for any following years and it keeps a home-grown guy at home long enough for us to figure out if he has pulled his head out of his ass after being suspended this last season. Especially considering our All Pro guy at that position may or may not return to pre-injury form.

This is more of an expensive rental than a high end purchase.

See, I don't view it as the same at all. It is a one year thing so has Zero cap implications for any following years and it keeps a home-grown guy at home long enough for us to figure out if he has pulled his head out of his ass after being suspended this last season. Especially considering our All Pro guy at that position may or may not return to pre-injury form.

This is more of an expensive rental than a high end purchase.

And we could pass on a better option to give this young bone head a chance for a career/contract year using us as a platform to head elsewhere.

I really don't understand the oppostion to bringing back Davis on a make good one year deal.

Tight end has become such an important part of a red zone offense in today's game.

Davis gets to prove himself and the Redskins avoid immediate downside risk.

I really don't understand the oppostion to bringing back Davis on a make good one year deal.

Tight end has become such an important part of a red zone offense in today's game.

Davis gets to prove himself and the Redskins avoid immediate downside risk.

I am just not in favor of giving an idiot who faces a 1 year suspension in the NFL because of his poor decisions a contract that would pay him in the top 5 in the NFL at his position. Look, I was in favor of cutting ties with him altogether to make an example out of him when the suspension was announced, this type of behavior will not be tolerated! I mean, I keep hearing everyone praise Shanahan for his "character" choices over the last year. Well?

If we have learned anything in the NFL over the last 3 or 4 years is that a good TE can be found just about anywhere. The risk you take on bringing in the stoner is about the same risk you would have bringing one in with one of our 4th round picks. The reward may not be as great, but if we tie up that roster spot for Davis and he decides to give it another shot at the stoner life, we have no one. Let's just cut him loose now and get ourselves another TE. We are going to have to get one soon anyway.

Here's one last angle to look at this that is wildly unpopular in the business of the NFL these days. This young man of 26 yr's has shown a propensity of making foolish decisions, reward him and he learns no lesson. In fact, the knuckle head we rely on much more than Davis, TW, could look at this and think, "Well, he's been suspended and he was caught twice and gets a nice fat contract without proving himself...ah well, I can light up again!" I have seen it one too many times.

Sometimes, a line in the sand needs to be drawn and Sleepy should be made an example!

But meh! That's just my opinion, so...

Last edited:
I am just not in favor of giving an idiot who faces a 1 year suspension in the NFL because of his poor decisions a contract that would pay him in the top 5 in the NFL at his position. Look, I was in favor of cutting ties with him altogether to make an example out of him when the suspension was announced, this type of behavior will not be tolerated! I mean, I keep hearing everyone praise Shanahan for his "character" choices over the last year. Well?

If we have learned anything in the NFL over the last 3 or 4 years is that a good TE can be found just about anywhere. The risk you take on bringing in the stoner is about the same risk you would have bringing one in with one of our 4th round picks. The reward may not be as great, but if we tie up that roster spot for Davis and he decides to give it another shot at the stoner life, we have no one. Let's just cut him loose now and get ourselves another TE. We are going to have to get one soon anyway.

Here's one last angle to look at this that is wildly unpopular in the business of the NFL these days. This young man of 26 yr's has shown a propensity of making foolish decisions, reward him and he learns no lesson. In fact, the knuckle head we rely on much more than Davis, TW, could look at this and think, "Well, he's been suspended and he was caught twice and gets a nice fat contract without proving himself...ah well, I can light up again!" I have seen it one too many times.

Sometimes, a line in the sand needs to be drawn and Sleepy should be made an example!

But meh! That's just my opinion, so...

It's almost word for word what I feel as well. To answer serv's earlier question, I don't know that it's not a smart move or that there's a 'better canddate' the Redskins should've franchised instead. I just wouldn't have used the tag on him (in fact, not using it on anyone would be fine with me).

I can see the logic of it. But I'll confess, sometimes I'd rather see the team do the right thing, even if it's not the best football or business decision.

I'm convinced Davis is too big a rockhead to get his **** together. So ultimately this move will be irrelevant as we'll end up shipping or cutting him regardless. I hope he proves me wrong, but doubt he will.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.