• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Packers Week - Studs, Duds, and Hat Tips

One other thing...

Terry McLaurin is an UBERSTUD. LOL

One little play yesterday showed how good he is. On that last Washingtonn drive, he caught the ball and FOUGHT to keep it in bounds when he was being pushed out. I can't help feel but any other receiver would just have allowed himself to be knocked out of bounds, but not Terry.

I love number 17.

I also think it's possible that Gibson deserves a stud. Glad he got a notable mention.

The running was strong. He had the touchdown catch. He also had a few nice kickoff returns (especially compared to Milne)

167 yards rushing and we win, hmm, I think that matters studs for the backfield(even though I think Robinson is being pushed way too hard). Defense played balls out most of the game especially the front 4, Heinicke could've been the reason we lost but calmed down in the second half, I give him a notable.

Look - yesterday’s game was no better or worse offensively than most of our games this year. Heinicke finally got McLaurin going and that was awesome. But we barely won and we were a call away from a loss - mostly BECAUSE of 1st half TH.

So far both he and Wentz are flawed guys who can win you one and just as easily lose you one.

Just think what we could have done with that $28M though.

If the answer is we win 6-8 games with Taylor and we win 6-8 games with Wentz, then we are the prize suckers.

Taylor was already on the roster at $3M.

Brother - the D didn’t allow a single 3rd or 4th down conversion. No one has done that to Aaron Rodgers - ever.

But that's not quite the truth is it? LOL

That final drive by the Packers, our D had them in 3rd down situations TWICE. And while both were incomplete passes, we gave them the first downs anyway on penalties. (Both illegal use of hands if I recall correctly). So while it's true that the Packers didn't convert any 3rds, our D did gift them at least a couple with stupid penalties.

And at the WORST time in the game. We could have put them away there at the end if we'd have not given those penalties up. (Admittedly, you could blame this on the Refs rather than Sweat, Fuller, and Wildgoose - who I think were the culprits).
Basically when the game was on the line, the Defense GIFTED them yardage all the way down to our own 21 yard line.

For me that disqualifies them from stud status.

PLUS... I know you can't choose who you play, but it's clear that the GB offense is horribly broke. They looked awful in the second half against the Giants, and only managed to muster 10 points against the Jets. So... how much was our D, and how much was it GB offensive ineptitude.

I'd give them a hat tip for getting the job done, but that's it from me.

I'm fine if you want to give them stud status though.

3rd downs due to penalties don't count statistically. I get your overall point - the D wasn't perfect. But they were pretty damn good, especially compared to the other two units. I don't really understand how we could not acknowledge they were a key to the win.

Sorry - must've come across as a prick in my reply which wasn't intended. :(

Aaron Rogers is still a premier talent but this season he is an Emperor without clothes. Outside of running back that is a bottom of the barrel level of talent he is surrounded by.

The defense played well, not great.

He did it to himself. With that contract they can’t afford to surround him with talent.

Yep, selfishness in today's NFL comes with an instant karma payback now.

You can't have it both ways.

You can't claim the team doesn't deserve credit for a win where plays were nullified by penalty or a ref's replay call and then turn around a week later and criticize the team for a close loss that was due to the same things :LOL:

A win is a win.

Did anyone see the first half of the Dallas/Lions game or Chiefs/49ers games?

Neither Dallas nor KC played very well in the first half of those games, but rebounded in the second half to win. And in the end that's all that matters.

Style points are for suckers.

This isn't gymnastics where you complete the activity and then get graded down because you didn't smile enough or show enough emotion finishing your routine.

Football is an objective not a subjective sport.

Green Bay didn't deserve to win this game because they allowed 170 plus rushing yards and Washington enjoyed a 37 to 23 minute advantage in time of possession.

It's exactly what Chicago did to the Patriots on MNF.

3rd downs due to penalties don't count statistically. I get your overall point - the D wasn't perfect. But they were pretty damn good, especially compared to the other two units. I don't really understand how we could not acknowledge they were a key to the win.

Sorry - must've come across as a prick in my reply which wasn't intended. :(

Haha! I didn't think you were coming across as a prick for one minute. Never.

I think the D is playing a lot better these days, definitely the unit on the upswing. And if those 'gifted' conversions hadn't happened in crunch time, then I don't think I'd even remember. It was just that end-of-game moment where we needed a stop or at least hold them to an FG in order to ice the game, and they folded.
The D, in my eyes, was a bit like the reverse Heineke.
He was awful in the first half, with a horrible interception, almost a few more picks, and a very lucky fumble TD that got overturned. But in the second half, he was money. (20 unanswered points from the Offense at one point!)
The Defense conversely, was on it for three-quarters of the game, before that horrible last few minutes.

Let's face it, if they'd have given up the score on that last crazy lateral bonanza (and for a minute there I thought they were going to do it. We didn't look like we could tackle at all!) then we'd have been singing a different tune this morning.
We'd be bemoaning how the defense gave up 14 points in the last 4 minutes.
(Note: We can complain about the Refs, but they penalized GB more times for more yards, do it more than evened out)

Fortunately, Rodgers threw that last-gasp lateral, and the guy catching it muffed it.

This win was a real team effort. The D did most of the hard work early as Heineke had his jitters, then the Offense did the job in the second half.

I also think that the context of who GB are this year matters. Rodgers lost his safety blanket (Adams) and their O-line is as disastrous as ours is. They have next to no effective running game. Rodgers has been trying to establish chemistry with Lazard, but he got dinged up in this game. Looking at them over the past couple of games... 3rd down efficiency: Against the Giant: 4 out of 10. Against the Jets: 1 out of 11. Against us 0 out of 6.
This ain't your Grandpa's Packers at the moment.

Also, a lot to be said for the fact that our Offense kept GB off the field by dominating TOP. Meaning our D wasn't gassed like they've been in recent games.
I think you can see a lot of seeds for what Rivera and co envisaged this team to be in this weeks win. Just a shame we can't get some sort of Heineke/Wentz hybrid QB. Size and arm strength combined with moxie and competitive spirit. With a repaired O-line we'd be unstoppable! LOL

One other thing...

Terry McLaurin is an UBERSTUD. LOL

One little play yesterday showed how good he is. On that last Washingtonn drive, he caught the ball and FOUGHT to keep it in bounds when he was being pushed out. I can't help feel but any other receiver would just have allowed himself to be knocked out of bounds, but not Terry.

I love number 17.
Actually, to me, the best example may have been where on replay it actually looked like Taylor was going to SIMS, and Terry comes running from way over to knock the ball out of the defender's hands. It was underthrown. Sims was content watching it and just hoping it would float to him somehow, the ball was clearly going to the defender but it had enough of an arc to provide some time. Terry ran over and saved a huge turnover. That was awesome.

The Packers coach and GM failed to capitalize on a chance to improve an NFC championship round team by using a #1 draft choice on Jordan Love.

That pick not only upset Rodgers but also a number of veterans on the team who felt they were on the verge of getting a ring.

The move, made out of petty EGO issues between Gutekunst/LaFleur and Rodgers, eroded team chemistry.

(Reid made a move akin to this in Kansas City in drafting Mahomes when Alex Smith lead the team to the playoffs in one of his best seasons, but of course Mahomes proved to be WORTH the transitions. Jordan Love? Who the hell is Jordan Love?).

The team then back-tracked when Rodgers came out with one of his best seasons the next year but by then the damage was done.

McVay had built up the Rams to the position where they were better than Green Bay and San Francisco had the defense to stop Rodgers.

No doubt it was one reason Adams left and the injuries to the better players on the OL like Bakhtiari have reduced the Packers to a middling team.

They lost to us, BD. I think middling might be generous at the moment.

The NFL is a week to week league. Its what you do over 16 (or now 17 games) and what consistency you build.

I don't see the Packers at 3-4 as a strong playoff bound team this year but my guess is they still finish with more wins than we get.

The Redskins beat Dallas EACH year the Cowboys won the Super Bowl in the 1990's - 1992, 1993 and 1995. So, what?

The latter two of those years the Redskins were 4-12 and 5-11.

So, beating other teams one given week doesn't mean much if the momentum is lost by Q1 of the next game.

Week 1 in the NFL is notoriously unreliable indicator of how good a team will be.

Teams in Week 1 that make changes at quarterback or feature new skill position players are often at an advantage because the defenses don't yet have a book on how the new players will be used in the given system and no one has had a chance to game plan specifically for them.

Just remember RGIII bursting onto the scene in Week 1 in 2012.

Logan Paulsen breaking down a key play late in the game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.