• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Memory Lane

Om

Burgundy & Gold Jacket
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The first 15 minutes of this video cover the Redskins first-round 24-20 playoff loss at San Francisco after the 1971 season. This was the game, and year, I truly became a Redskins fan.

We had moved to DC late in 1970, when I was nine-years-old and just marginally aware of football. It was the year after Vince Lombardi had died, after just one season in DC, and Bill Austin filled in for one forgettable 6-8 campaign.

Not so in 1971.

George Allen came to town that year and started building the Over the Hill Gang. For whatever reason, my young self lived and died with every game that year, more so as the season went on and it became apparent the team was actually pretty good … and had a shot at the team’s first playoff appearance since World War II.

Somewhere in a trunk at home I have a piece of paper I can remember drawing on during class one day in 5th grade, hiding it from the teacher, with a Skins “R” helmet and words to the effect of, “8-4-1, soon to be 9-4-1!”

This playoff game at San Fran was the first time in my young life I’d felt what it was like to be utterly, helplessly invested in a sporting event … the giddy, sky-is-the-limit feeling when things were going well—the Skins had the better of it into the third quarter—and then that visceral, hollow feeling in the gut and taste of bile in throat when we’d lost, and the season was over.

When you’re ten, “next year” might as well be next life.

1971 PLAYOFFS

Couple of observations and connections:

Dick Nolan was the 49ers head coach, father of future Redskins DC Mike Nolan.

Steve Spurrier was the San Fran punter.

Redskins special teams dominated—until one painful exception late in the game that ended up being the scoring difference. Bigger picture, history has forgotten how impactful Allen’s Skins were in that regard. Special teams were largely an afterthought up until Allen and made them “the third phase of the game.” Not since.

NFL Films has come a long way with their music.

The person who edited the tape didn’t cut the commercials, just blacked them out. You can skip forward.

53 men - fighting together - can’t lose! I believe in addition to calling our guys the ‘Over the Hill Gang’ back then, some called them ‘the Ramskins’ because there were so many former Rams on the roster (similarly to Rivera’s penchant for signing Panthers to our current roster).

Great stuff - and this is the timeframe I became a real Skins fan as well…

The first 15 minutes of this video cover the Redskins first-round 24-20 playoff loss at San Francisco after the 1971 season. This was the game, and year, I truly became a Redskins fan.

We had moved to DC late in 1970, when I was nine-years-old and just marginally aware of football. It was the year after Vince Lombardi had died, after just one season in DC, and Bill Austin filled in for one forgettable 6-8 campaign.

Not so in 1971.

George Allen came to town that year and started building the Over the Hill Gang. For whatever reason, my young self lived and died with every game that year, more so as the season went on and it became apparent the team was actually pretty good … and had a shot at the team’s first playoff appearance since World War II.

Somewhere in a trunk at home I have a piece of paper I can remember drawing on during class one day in 5th grade, hiding it from the teacher, with a Skins “R” helmet and words to the effect of, “8-4-1, soon to be 9-4-1!”

This playoff game at San Fran was the first time in my young life I’d felt what it was like to be utterly, helplessly invested in a sporting event … the giddy, sky-is-the-limit feeling when things were going well—the Skins had the better of it into the third quarter—and then that visceral, hollow feeling in the gut and taste of bile in throat when we’d lost, and the season was over.

1971 PLAYOFFS

Redskins special teams dominated—until one painful exception late in the game that ended up being the scoring difference. Bigger picture, history has forgotten how impactful Allen’s Skins were in that regard. Special teams were largely an afterthought up until Allen and made them “the third phase of the game.” Not since.

The person who edited the tape didn’t cut the commercials, just blacked them out. You can skip forward.
That playoff loss was a big one for me, too. I was so distraught after that my father was concerned. So, at around 2am he woke me and drove us out to Dulles Airport in the hopes of greeting the team home from their trip- and that I’d see that they’re human beings just like us. Dad was never a sports fan but wanted to teach me that lesson. Security turned us away but we clambered into a service van along with four college students. I remember showing them my Redskin football cards in the dark, bumpy ride to lord knows where. When we finally hopped out of the van, we were all arrested but allowed to stay and greet the team thanks to the pleas of the attending press corps. Attached, is the Washington Post article that apparared the next morning. I’m the little guy with the pennant far left. They hadnour names but we’d snuck away before they coukd cart us to the police station.

Not so in 1971.

1971 PLAYOFFS

That’s me after that very game - far left waving the pennant
098DDF9E-1DED-44F8-A184-1192E5F2C815.jpeg
015AA1FF-9B35-4805-81E4-85E34FECBC98.jpeg
9CFF7615-A611-4A01-AD75-9C64DB7C48FF.jpeg
7F54CFB8-68BB-454D-8FCD-1C04AF01FCDC.jpeg

That playoff loss was a big one for me, too. I was so distraught after that my father was concerned. So, at around 2am he woke me and drove us out to Dulles Airport in the hopes of greeting the team home from their trip- and that I’d see that they’re human beings just like us. Dad was never a sports fan but wanted to teach me that lesson. Security turned us away but we clambered into a service van along with four college students. I remember showing them my Redskin football cards in the dark, bumpy ride to lord knows where. When we finally hopped out of the van, we were all arrested but allowed to stay and greet the team thanks to the pleas of the attending press corps. Attached, is the Washington Post article that apparared the next morning. I’m the little guy with the pennant far left. They hadnour names but we’d snuck away before they coukd cart us to the police station.

That’s me after that very game - far left waving the pennant View attachment 5578View attachment 5579View attachment 5580View attachment 5581

You're bonafide.

not gonna lie... I'm a little jealous lol
I was so surreal...even at that age. Could never pull off a stunt like that now with all the airport security and all. The police wanted to take us away but the press made them let us stay. I remember watching the players come down the stairs one at a time waving at the six of us as we all sang HTTR. My dad grabbed my hand once they were on the team busses and we hid behind some airport trucks and machinery until the police stopped searching for us. We finally made our way, alone and in the dark, across a runway and under parked airplanes, back to our car. I was hungry, tired and complaining like any 7-8 year old would at 2am. Still an amazing memory. I even have a handwritten card I sent to my grandparents describing the event along with another copy of the article.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.