• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Happy Birthday Joe Gibbs

Question - would this site even exist if not for Coach Gibbs excellence in the 80's, early 90's??

Greatest Coach of the last 40 years and least respected in NFL media…..why? I have no idea.

Greatest Coach of the last 40 years and least respected in NFL media…..why? I have no idea.

His interviews were wash, rinse, repeat. He wasn't obnoxious like Parcells, Walsh was treated as a genius, guys like JJ, Cowher were media sound bytes every week, Shula was a legend. Joe was Joe, think it probably pissed the media off, same for why Monk should've been first ballot but wasn't. Media doesn't like the silent assassins.

Gibbs will always be the gold standard of coaching for me, and the biggest Redskins icon ever. I think his image (for me) is tarnished slightly with his utter silence on the Dan Snyder sexual harassment and workplace abuse scandal. He needed to speak up and he chose to remain silent. Disappointing but it doesn't change or diminish his overall legacy.

Gibbs is the gold standard for me too in the NFL.

But it always bothers me that when they have shows where they’re discussing things like all time greats, he rarely gets mentioned and on the rare occasions he does get a mention, it’s like he gets glossed over.

Three Super Bowl wins with three different Qbs- none of them HOF worthy- is a hell of an accomplishment unlikely to be matched.
Mystifying to me the lack of respect….

Gibbs is the gold standard for me too in the NFL.

But it always bothers me that when they have shows where they’re discussing things like all time greats, he rarely gets mentioned and on the rare occasions he does get a mention, it’s like he gets glossed over.

Three Super Bowl wins with three different Qbs- none of them HOF worthy- is a hell of an accomplishment unlikely to be matched.
Mystifying to me the lack of respect….

Two of those Super Bowl wins happened in strike seasons. I can understand how they might view those as less impressive even if we know better. Plus - Gibbs never wanted to be the story or sing his own praise. Guys like that are always going to get less attention than brash ego-driven ones.

Two of those Super Bowl wins happened in strike seasons. I can understand how they might view those as less impressive even if we know better. Plus - Gibbs never wanted to be the story or sing his own praise. Guys like that are always going to get less attention than brash ego-driven ones.
The Strike Year Argument against Gibbs always amuses me.
Walsh,Parcells,Landry etc we’re also coaching during those years and I bet that if their teams won, it wouldn’t be used as an argument against them. Would most likely receive more praise for that!

Gibbs and his Redskins really were The Rodney Dangerfield Gang.

Gibbs might be the greatest coach...of all time in any league or sport. He's proven his talent and motivation can translate to anyone.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.