• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Don Warren Named as Assistant Director of Pro Personnel

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia

In the midst of all the name drama, Washington made a front office move on Monday that could please longtime fans, or at least could very slightly appease them as they come to terms with the dramatic change the team also announced Monday.

After firing two executives on Sunday in Alex Santos and Richard Mann II — who both worked on the pro personnel side of things — the organization is reportedly hiring Don Warren to serve as their assistant director of pro personnel.

Warren, of course, played in all three of Washington's Super Bowl victories and spent the entirety of his 14-year career in D.C. The tight end was a fourth-round selection in 1979 and wrapped up playing in 1992.

This move makes sense beyond the 64-year-old's obvious ties to Washington, too.

Warren had been with the Panthers since 2010 in a pro scouting role, so he's someone Ron Rivera is familiar with. That makes him the latest person from Carolina to join Rivera in his new home...

Click link above to read entire article

Good to see an alum come home.

I just wish he was able to work with the tight ends to show them how to block. Nobody in my lifetime as a fan blocked as well as Donnie did.

Yay... another Redskins alum thrown into a job that no one knows whether he can actually do, all to appease fans on the day of a name change.

Snyder can eat a back of dick tips.

I think that's off-base in this case. He's spent a decade in the Panther's scouting department. This is not exactly throwing a Redskins name into the organization and crossing one's fingers he can do some good. Rivera knows what his talents are and aren't.

I think that's off-base in this case. He's spent a decade in the Panther's scouting department. This is not exactly throwing a Redskins name into the organization and crossing one's fingers he can do some good. Rivera knows what his talents are and aren't.

Respectfully disagree. The Riverboat Pilot is clearly following a tried and true NFL scheme - hire all the friends and sons of friends who got you fired in the last or previous coaching stints. This will be a perennial 9-7/8-8 type team....maybe an ocassional 10 win season. The Riverboat Pilot doesn't have the single minded drive for excellence to get to and win a SB. He's in a division where there are better teams that are better managed.

I’m stating facts Al, not opinions. It’s not a ‘legacy hire’ to appease fans as was suggested. Warren has been doing nothing but scouting for over a decade now. I’m not sure what the likelihood of Rivera success has to do with the conversation.

Rivera got fired for two reasons... new owner who likely wanted his own guy at HC, and decline in performance mostly due to the notable decline of Cam Newton. Panther fans were not clamoring for a coaching change And in fact we’re shocked and disappointed for the most part when they let Rivera go. But none of that has anything to do with the conversation regarding the Warren hire.

Santos was here pre-Smith and had been passed by a better talent evaluator.

So, his departure is rather than being a step down is rather a step up.

Rivera gets a certain amount of time to set his team and staff. He kept a number of holdovers.

I can’t wait to hear about the toxic culture reports.
Let’s get it all out there.

Rivera is just going through the process of bringing in people who are trustworthy and loyal to him.

He obviously made some judgments on the front office personnel after seeing them work for several months.

Since Smith is still in place and so are the scouts I don’t see the departure of Santos and Mann as being disruptive or strange moves.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.