• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Commanders' Coffee #8

At 3-4 overall, should trading Daron Payne be on or off the table?

• Don't trade him - make every effort to resign him.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • We aren't a serious playoff contender - trade him for a 2nd rounder.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • I'm fine with getting a third rounder for him - Mathis can take his place long-term.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take nothing less than a 1st rounder - otherwise let him play out the year.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
The NFL's trade deadline is fast approaching on November 1st at 4 p.m.

Currently, the Commanders are sitting in 4th place in their division and are a minimum of 2 games behind every other team in the NFC East.

Sitting at 11th in the NFC Conference, the Commanders are in the mix with several other teams battling it out for the 7th seed in the NFC, currently owned by the 3-3 LA Rams.

Given our two game win streak and where we currently are in the standings, should potentially trading Daron Payne be off the table?

There has been some talk today that he could potentially net us a day two pick, possibly as early as a 2nd rounder in the upcoming draft.

What are your thoughts? Share and discuss among yourselves.

When you look at a player, I don’t think you can just look at the current year. I think it’s highly unlikely we are able to re-sign Payne. For once it is is time to trade a player at his peak value, not at his weakest. 1st round pick is unrealistic imho, but if you can get a 2nd rounder, do it and don’t look back.

I'm tired of losing good players after one contract just to sign some merc to a ridiculous one and they suck.

We need players who are here for life
Ones we can buy jerseys of

I read somewhere probably espn or maybe elsewhere that the market for D-lineman is expected to be stupid nuts this year, I don't see Payne resigning here with the taste of FA on his tongue probably. However, I have no desire to trade him either, as it would take a contender on a half season flier to potentially get a 2nd round pick and off the top of my head the teams that possibly could use Payne already used their draft capital elsewhere and the others don't need his help.

#1 and #4 choices are the same as Payne would be nuts to resign here given what's going on.

He's a good but not great player who will command a 5 year deal in the offseason and will have a number of suitors. Most probably a team that needs to rebuild it's defensive line and can spend the money at DT.

Washington meanwhile just paid Jonathan Allen and has Sweat and Young to figure out over the next 1-2 years so there's no money for Daron here.

The 'smart' move would be to trade him and try to get back better than league compensation for him but we don't do that.

Ron wants to make sure we win those 6 or 7 games too badly :D

If someone offered a first for him, I’d take it without hesitation. Don’t care who that team is or where they would be picking next year.

If someone offered a second, I’d be more inclined to figure out if it’s a first half or second half of the draft pick. Top half, yes. Bottom half, see if you can get a top half, if not, take it.

If a 3rd or less is offered. I’d decline. You get a 3rd round compensatory pick, unless they sign someone else to a huge contract, which would be dumb based on the state of the team. So if a 3rd is all they are offered, I’d hold him and take the chance that maybe they can re-sign him. But I’d definitely do it for a 1 and most likely for a 2.

The trouble is Washington traditionally doesn't consider these variables as their response is usually a standard 'we are not trading him' - referring to ANY player coming up for contract before the trade deadline of that season.

Perhaps its reflex on their part or fear of being accused of blowing the draft pick on player 'X', we don't seem to have the guts to make strong calls like that and instead wimp out and let players go quietly in the offseason saying the player had choices and didn't want to come back here.

And there is Ron's standard 'we don't want players that don't want to be here' :poop:

How about making players want to stay? Maybe try a little bit more of that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.