• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Commanders Coffee #11

Canadian Hog

2019 BGO Ballers Champ
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Being essentially at the midway point of the 2022 Washington Commanders season, make your picks for the following categories:

Most Impressive Player:
Most Disappointing Player:
Biggest Surprise:
2nd Half of Season Player Ready For a Breakout:

* Feel free to include more than one player in each category. Discuss and debate among yourselves.

Most Impressive Player: Jon Allen
Most Disappointing Player: Carson Wentz
Biggest Surprise: Tie: Daron Payne/Benjamin St-Juste
2nd Half of Season Player Ready For a Breakout: Sam Howell

MIP- Jon Allen
MDP- Dyami Brown
Biggest Surprise- Jamin Davis
2nd Half Breakout- Benjamin St. Juste

I had already forgotten about Wentz. My mistake.

Most Impressive Player: Jon Allen
Most Disappointing Player: Andrew Norwell
Biggest Surprise: Daron Payne
2nd Half of Season Player Ready For a Breakout: Jamin Davis

Being essentially at the midway point of the 2022 Washington Commanders season, make your picks for the following categories:

Most Impressive Player:
Most Disappointing Player:
Biggest Surprise:
2nd Half of Season Player Ready For a Breakout:

* Feel free to include more than one player in each category. Discuss and debate among yourselves.

Most Impressive Player: Daron Payne. Terry and Allen get a little penalized because we kind of knew who they were. ... see below.
Most Disappointing Player: Carson Wentz. This guy was supposed to unlock the offense, meanwhile we're averaging LESS PPG than we have the last 2 years, even prior to his injury..
Biggest Surprise: Benjamin St. Juste - Allen and McLaurin are animals, love em.. but their production is somewhat 'expected' because we knew they were good... St Juste has taken a major step... we had hopes, but the dude has been legit
2nd Half of Season Player Ready For a Breakout: Cole Turner...? Maybe? :)

It's not surprising Payne is balling out in his contract year. It often happens that way in the NFL.

Remember Dana Stubblefield having that 15 sack season in his contract year in 1996 and the Redskins being suckered into paying him megabucks?

It's also not surprising because Jonathan Allen is a DT that is playing at an all pro level and being next to him on the DL gives Payne opportunities 1 on 1 he would not receive if being counted on as the focal point of the DL.

That's one reason I would be very leery about signing him if he indeed reaches free agency if I were another GM.

Payne has been consistently good every year.

Playing for a new contract? Sure. Better d-line coaching? Also sure.

Payne won't be a Stubblefield in terms of a guy that takes the money and goes to seed.

He's a higher character player than Stubblefield ever was and based upon what we have seen will continue to work hard.

The reality though is he is our #1B DT and Allen has clearly established himself as the #1 on the field and rewarded under the cap with a new contract.

We need to spread the wealth around and work to find talent at several key positions such as the offensive line, which needs a redo at both OG spots and perhaps LT as well. We need a playmaking TE that can help the quarterback.

It's ironic that we kept 4 or 5 tight ends on the roster and cut other players and yet the one position on offense other than perhaps guard that has really been a black hole has been tight end.

There is not one of the TEs that has produced anything in the passing game and as was illustrated on the Thursday night game our TEs are not among the best set of blockers either.

Hockenson was a great add by Minnesota, we could have used him going forward.

Most Impressive Player: Tough one. Allen is probably our most consistent. And of course Terry, though I still fear he's being underutlised.
Most Disappointing Player: I can't really say Wentz, and disappointment implies I had hopes for him. And I can't say I really did. I'd possibly put Logan Thomas or JD McKissic. Not sure it's their faults (Injury, scheme, and the breakouts of other players perhaps have had an impact here) but they've both been invisible.
Biggest Surprise: Curtis Samuels. I had an expectation for him, a hope that he'd be a good number 2 opposite Terry. But honestly, I think he's exceeded expectations. He's one of our most reliable playmakes on offense in both run and pass.
2nd Half of Season Player Ready For a Breakout: Jamin Davis seems to be getting better week by week. Maybe big things are afoot. :D

'And of course Terry, though I still fear he is being underutilized'.

THAT is the understatement of the millennium. :cheers:

This is why I have issues with Scott Turner and whether he should come back here in 2023. He simply doesn't get the ball in the hands of the players he has on the field enough to make the plays to win the game.

DeAndre Hopkins came back off the suspended list and the FIRST game back he was targeted 12 times in that contest, with 10 catches.

Here Terry has a high of 6 catches and that was weeks ago. The irony is with Dotson out and Logan Thomas clearly diminished from the ACL, we need Terry MORE THAN EVER as a main cog in the machine. That's what we are paying him $17M for and that's what HE wants to. You can see his frustration on the field with where the ball is going on certain downs.

Watching these games, it seems Turner and Rivera are limiting what Taylor is allowed to do outside of the pocket and that is leading to him standing in there and throwing the ball under pressure for picks in the middle of the field.

When he is rolling out or in space his vision in the passing game is much better and that is how the team was able to surprise Tampa Bay in that playoff game in 2020.

Minnesota’s edge defenders did an excellent job keeping Taylor in the pocket. That put all of the pressure on the interior lineman to hold up, not exactly the team’s strong suit.

I expect that will be the blue print for opposing defenses going forward.

In my mind, though, the creativity in getting this offense going is to change and become more unpredictable.

Teams are keying on Taylor on long yardage and third downs.

We need to get quarterback designed runs into the offense and utilizing Taylor on first down to set up favorable second and third down distances for conversion.

To me the RPO we see from teams around the league with mobile quarterbacks and running backs with speed (like Gibson) would be well suited here.

But the team seems to have stayed with the original offense designed for Carson Wentz to drop back 7 steps and throw the longer developing intermediate and down the field routes. This is clearly not what Taylor does well.

We don't have the offensive line to protect a quarterback for that type of scheme. And even with Wentz in the game and a bit better health on the OL, Carson is hardly Dan Marino in terms of accuracy throwing the ball even when receiving adequate time to throw.

This entire situation where Wentz misses significant time due to injury has shown that Turner is wedded to ONE approach regardless of the talent on hand. He is not going to make any major adjustments to the offense with a completely different type of quarterback on the field.

This is what makes him less as an offensive mind than Shanahan or McVay, who are able to get quarterbacks like Garoppolo and Jared Goff to a Super Bowl by focusing on what THEY do best. Look at how much better Goff looked under McVay vs. what Jeff Fisher was able to get out of him. As I recall Fisher had deactivated Goff at one point.

This year Shanahan lost his anticipated starting qb and had to adjust to the injury to Trey Lance and go back to running plays that were suited to what JG could successfully execute. You don't see SF running designed quarterback sprints on third and 7 with Jimmy G under center :hammer:

I think that’s right in line with everything we said on our pod this week. But I also think we’ve seen, playcalling and scheming aside, that TH’s arm is not great, he is often very late with his throws, and is not adept at seeing the field and open receivers. You can’t scheme your way past those deficits imho. Best we can hope for is that TH pulls off a couple of his ‘good Taylor’ performances which we all know he is capable of where everything works and he suppresses his worst instincts and just balls out.

Taylor throwing on long developing plays.

FBDD9286-A24B-4C0E-A4D1-DC5B74F401E0.jpeg

The NFL is all about getting the most out of the talent on hand.

Washington isn't going to win the Super Bowl in 2022, but I think we can be a bit more successful on offense given the talent at WR and RB if Scott Turner revamped the attack and tailored what we are doing to the qb. In fact this should have taken place right after the Bears' game when it was determined Wentz was going to need surgery on the finger.

Offensive coordinators around the NFL are looking to maximize the impact of their quarterbacks mobility on overall production. We see that with established stars like Lamar Jackson but also players that are quite raw like Justin Fields, etc.

I don't see that here.

But what I do see here are the same slow developing plays down the field where Taylor's arm is exposed and/or the offensive line pass blocking woes prevent any follow through on the play.

Do we maximize the screen game? Do we post Gibson out wide and use him as a slot receiver? Do we ever use slants and short crosses? Could we have found a TE during the season or at the trade deadline who could give the offense SOME capability as a safety valve for the qb - luxuries that Mahomes, Jackson, Hurts and other quarterbacks have?

While Taylor limits the plays the offense can successfully run, I think there are quite a few plays and formations that maximize what he can do and we have not made those adjustments across the board - in fact, our approach seemed to be one where the team expected Wentz to be back in 1-2 weeks and we only needed to tread water for a couple of games.

When you are talking about Taylor playing for 4-6 weeks that's a significant portion of the season and definitely worth coming up with a new strategy to work those games.

He played a whole season last year and we never really adjusted, BD. No reason to expect different this year for just a few games.

But Scott Turner is still a genius to some...................just like Joe Walton used to be here under Jack Pardee :D:D:D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
We are all excited to experience the announcement of draft selections IN REAL TIME TOGETHER. If you feel the need to be the first to 'blurt out' the team's picks you are better off staying out of chat and sticking to Twitter. Please refrain from announcing/discussing our picks until the official announcement has been made at the podium. Thanks!

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.