• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Burner’s Burning Questions – Offseason Edition: Free Agency, Part Three

Parts of the list are dedicated to realistic options while some of it is directed at big names. At CB, we have two starters and it is reasonable to assume that we will add a nickel back and nothing more.

But feel free to add ideas and thoughts - that's what this blog is all about.

Parts of the list are dedicated to realistic options while some of it is directed at big names. At CB, we have two starters and it is reasonable to assume that we will add a nickel back and nothing more.

But feel free to add ideas and thoughts - that's what this blog is all about.

Just because we have two CBs that started most of the games last year does not mean we have two starters. I think Josh Wilson is a perfectly fine #2, but Hall is not a #1 and maybe not even a #2. Last year he was like top 5 (in a bad way) in percentage completion against (I believe it was in the high 60s) and yards allowed (I believe it was almost 1000.) He is a major liability and needs to be demoted or outright cut if better options can be secured (and I believe cutting him would result in like $6MM in cap savings to boot.) Of course, that may or may not be feasible this year (but a girl can hope.)

I think it could be a realistic option to acquire Brandon Carr - the Skins have the cap space, willingness to spend, and (hopefully soon) will also have a legitimate option at QB. As such they may be in a better position to get Carr vs. some of the competing teams. A team like DAL definitely needs a CB - all the more reason to acquire Carr and not let him go to the Cowgirls.

You could be right. However, when I see that we are going to go after VJ hard (probably add another receiver too) and add an OL or two, then having a large amount of money for a franchise CB is not possible.

One other thing to consider. Signing Raheem Morris is something that is easy to forget, but he is a master at getting the most out of players in the defensive secondary. DHall will have one final chance to prove his worth and I think he will succeed with the help of Coach Morris.

You could be right. However, when I see that we are going to go after VJ hard (probably add another receiver too) and add an OL or two, then having a large amount of money for a franchise CB is not possible.

One other thing to consider. Signing Raheem Morris is something that is easy to forget, but he is a master at getting the most out of players in the defensive secondary. DHall will have one final chance to prove his worth and I think he will succeed with the help of Coach Morris.

I do love your consistent optimism!

I am hopeful about the potential impact Morris will have on the secondary and Hall may be given one more chance accordingly. However, if the cap hit to sign Carr is not much more than the cap savings from cutting Hall than getting a younger guy who is better in coverage, much more physical and better in run support, and also not near as mouthy (at least so far as I know) makes a ton of sense especially if we can keep him away from a rival like DAL.

Although, point taken, I do think the offense will be the priority in free agency.

But think about this - how often is there a free agent class of CBs like this one? And how long does it take for the average drafted top tier CB to adjust to the NFL?

Having secured a franchise QB, be it Griff or Luck, I won't be surprised if when all is totaled between this years draft class, and FA's acquired, we will have still leaned slightly more to the defense.

Adding some play-makers on offense will be good. But, building on your strength is just as important.

Good defense helps to dampen the growing pains of a rookie QB.

I said earlier and I'll say again, I disagree with you regarding Phillip Buchanon no longer being a factor for the Redskins. We re-signed him last year (1-year contract I believe but could be wrong) and after sitting out the first 4 games we lost him to injury. We have a big hole regarding our #3 corner and no one on the team fit the bill last year; it was a problem for the defense. Buchanon can be an effective #3 CB, we can re-sign him on the cheap and plug him in as the #3 CB. If we draft or pick up a CB in FA, he can compete for the job and, if he loses, can be let go cheaply. I don't see Allen/Shanahan letting go of him that easily because they resigned him last year despite the 4 game suspension.

Fair point Neo. If my choices are limited to Garcon and VJax, I'd take VJax. From what I remember, he had problems a couple of years ago, but seems to have quieted down lately? I do not follow the Chargers at all, so feel free to correct me if I am remembering that incorrectly.

I understand you have to weigh talent with attitude and off-field considerations, and I am not all in on VJax. I have a bad feeling that Peyton made his Colts receivers look better than they actually were, as a rule. I'm not a huge fan of Garcon, accordingly.

First of all, the fact that a player with a history of all kinds of attitude problems both on and off the field just happens to play well in a contract year shouldn't suddenly convince us he's changed his ways.

Secondly, between the aforementioned head case and a guy who's supposedly looked good because Manning was throwing him the ball, I'd go with neither. I'm as excited about RG3 as anyone, but we shouldn't go into this season assuming or expecting to fill all our holes at once. WR may just have to wait.

Can't really wait Henry, mainly because of the incredible number of highly talented WRs available this year. I don't believe so many good ones have been available in any single year in the last 10.

Lots of choices, and not all expensive. Just need to find the right one or two.

Can't really wait Henry, mainly because of the incredible number of highly talented WRs available this year. I don't believe so many good ones have been available in any single year in the last 10.

I think I agree with Henry, actually. No need to force it. Unless we think there is a potential number one or possibly number 2 WR that has been masquerading as a 3 or 4 and is now ready to step up, I am fairly comfortable with holding the line. Gaffney was a lot better than people realize last year, Moss can still contribute, and I have lots of warm fuzzies when I think about Hank. Add in Niles Paul, and if we add a guy like Royal for some depth, I think we may be better than people realize.

Again, if you force me to choose between Garcon and Jackson, I choose VJax. But I think I'd rather go another route, focusing on CB and the OLine, personally.

That's cool. If there a ton of decent free agent WRs pick another one. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.