• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Aquarium Fanatics?

Boone

The Commissioner
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
Alma Mater
Virginia
I have always loved aquariums. We always had some goldfish or guppies in a bowl when I was a kid (in fact, I rescued a goldfish bowl from my folks house when they passed that is sitting above me as I type this). When my kids were in the house, we had a couple of 50 gallon tanks - one of which was just tropical fish, the other housed two huge Tiger Oscars which acted more like dogs than fish :) But after the kids left the house I gave it up and at that time work obligations didn't really afford me the time to take care of them correctly.

Recently got the itch to get back to what is an amazing hobby. I decided from the outset to do planted tanks - something I have never attempted before and requiring a lot of learning on my part. The first tank I got was a super nice rimless JBJ 65 gallon tank with a rear sump (a separate section of the aquarium at the back where all of the gear - pump, filter, heater, etc...) are housed. This is my current tank at about the 3 month mark.

96A02239-E8DF-46B7-BE5F-5180FE10A567.jpeg

EE7B41C4-D398-422C-B01A-52C4FCD88518.jpeg

BC77C407-5A0D-4B57-AD3F-2ECA0933C072.jpeg

I'm super happy with how it has turned out. The fish and plants are thriving. I have a ton of fish in it (a planted tank really allows you to load up on the fish). It's a mixed tropical community tank with about 13 different types of fish.

I just pulled the trigger on a 2nd tank. This one is a cheapo tank but I was able to find a 60 gallon breeder tank - meaning that it is wider and longer than a regular tank, but not as tall. The extra width gives you more room for plants and rock/wood/aquascaping. I plan for this one to be mainly a guppy tank. Guppies are amazing and incredibly beautiful as well as being live bearers. I already have baby fish from my first tank reproducing as I have Platys and Mollies in that tank. Guppies reproduce like crazy as live bearers. I'm going to add some freshwater shrimp to the mix in the guppy tank and some snails and bottom feeders as well.

Anyway... this is old guy fun. But keeping fish is truly a fascinating hobby. I could watch them for hours, and as long as you give the tanks the attention they need on a weekly basis, it's pretty easy to keep them healthy and happy.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, John!

Those tanks look so cool.

As I read, I was reminded of the importance of finding activities you are passionate about (whatever they are) and making time to devote to them. We all deserve diversions from real life sometimes.

Enjoy!

Thanks Paul. I hear a lot of folks talking about retirement and pondering what they will do with their time. I have never had a 'bored' moment in my life. There are so many things to immerse yourself in, learn about, and try your hand at. I can't wait until I have every day to spend as I wish.

Fun fact. The one orange fish is a Platy and is called a 'Mickey Mouse Platy'. See if you can figure out why? My granddaughter is a big fan of that one.

Fun fact. The one orange fish is a Platy and is called a 'Mickey Mouse Platy'. See if you can figure out why? My granddaughter is a big fan of that one.
I see the spot now

How is the cleaning process overall, I had a tank when I was younger and geebies keeping that thing clean was a massive pain.

It’s all about staying on a schedule. I just get any major algae off and do a partial water change every weekend. I also have 6 or 7 mystery snails and some catfish in the tank to help keep it clean

My 2nd and probably last aquarium (just no room either physically or in terms of marital generosity :))This one is a guppy and freshwater shrimp tank. Added guppies first and shrimp arriving tomorrow. They are already breeding. Love how this one has turned out but need more plant cover on the bottom to give the fry plenty of places to hide. The dragon rock formation in the middle is actually a long tunnel they can swim through.

CF73A48A-7182-4CB2-BAFE-CEE22A2AC179.jpeg

91BB09EE-172D-4C64-AE08-C887FBED76B4.jpeg

4E61B47C-2744-4B70-8DCD-4FA3E36FEDB4.jpeg

821AD72E-7CB0-48EC-BBC4-9806A74786B6.jpeg

Last edited:
Guppy tank complete and they are already procreating like crazy…
78CCA2D6-E11F-4D38-ABEB-0A7E6E70DA9B.jpeg

9381972B-839F-4241-A733-BE71BBED2FD0.jpeg

Layest addition to my community tank, a pair of German Blue Rams…

7DC6D702-5E43-49B5-BCC3-5D524A08710A.jpeg

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.