• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

You Win With Picks

Dominate!

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

If last night's game showed anything it is that the old formula of building with young, cheap draft picks and reasonable free agent pickups is still the way to master the cap and win in the NFL.

Seattle has a defense made up almost entirely of picks and bargain free agents, many of whom came from losing teams and were overlooked by many GMs.

Malcolm Smith the MVP is a 25 year old former 7th round draft pick.

I think the Redskins offense was a lot better, but this Seahawks team overall reminded me a lot of the 1991 Washington team that beat the 'unstoppable' Buffalo Bills and their K-Gun offense.

During SB week I remember Bradshaw being interviewed and he said he didn't see how the Redskins could keep pace with Buffalo's no huddle offense.

The secret as we saw yesterday was to force the qb to hold the ball and press the receivers.

And like Seattle the Redskins' MVP was a late round homegrown pick.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

No, just a precautionary thought as free agency looms and fans start to talk about signing Eric Decker for $40M or Aqib Talib for $50M.

We need to look at that next rung down, guys like Avril and Bennett that Seattle was able to acquire at reasonable cost and see them out-perform their contracts.

Goaldeje

The Legend
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

James Madison

No, just a precautionary thought as free agency looms and fans start to talk about signing Eric Decker for $40M or Aqib Talib for $50M.

We need to look at that next rung down, guys like Avril and Bennett that Seattle was able to acquire at reasonable cost and see them out-perform their contracts.
I like your thought process here, granting that it is easier said than done. But I was having similar thoughts during the game last night that if we can hit on guys like Perry Riley in the 4th and turn a couple of late draft choices into major contributors, we can get this turned around quickly.

To be illustrate my point, Denver tried the same tact on D, with vastly dissimilar results. They don't have a ton of high draft picks on their D.

And to be fair to Denver, they lost their best cover corner two weeks ago, and were unable to compensate with their street free agents. Seattle stayed remarkably healthy.

Probably due to HGH.

Cheap shot, sorry.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

Denver lost Clady, Miller and Harris during the season and then there was the mixup on Dumervil's contract and the injury to center Dan Koppen.

All that acknowledged Manning's style of personalized offense with orchestra like precision seems to fail against top defenses in pressure situations.

Denver had a number of three and outs to start the game and they never found a rhythm.

They also seemed unable to make any adjustments to what they were running.

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score

Florida State

A lot of what you say in the OP is correct BT.

To be fair, they also paid Percy Harvin $64 million, a high-priced FA who made a big contribution last night.

The draft is important, but we have a ton of work to do to fill all of these holes. FA is going to have to be effective.

More importantly than how you get the players, I believe, is what you do with them. Coaching is paramount, and we haven't had a lot of coaching here.

Another lesson to be learned from last night is that a defense can still win championships. Unfortunately for us, if we focus mainly on the O-line, we can't dream of fielding a D like Seattle's.

We have a lot of needs. Way too many to be fixed through only the draft--with limited picks. It's going to take some time.

Chris

Super Bowl MVP
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

There will be a bunch of free agents available that can help this team that won't have to be romanced and signed at 12:01 the day that free agency begins.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

Percy Harvin made a nice contribution after Seattle was already up 22-0.

And to be fair to Seattle he is really the only big ticket FA on the team.

He only played what 2 games during the season?

Seattle got to 13-3 and 22-0 in this game without him and would have won going away if he had been inactive.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

Okung was a first round pick of the Seahawks.

Lynch was acquired in a trade with Buffalo.

Only Rice was a FA.

Compare that to the Redskins D where we had Cofield, Bowen, Meriweather, Fletcher, Hall and Wilson all as free agent veterans.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

No, but look at the defense. A lot of homegrown picks. Value free agents like Avril, Bennett and Clemons.

Ax

How much did Flynn cost?

Like McD said, how you get'em isn't as important as what you do with'em once you do have them.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score

So Bobby Beathard was a mediocre GM because he missed on Malcolm Barnwell or a draft pick like Tory Nixon.

Stop f******** with me and acknowledge SEATTLE did a good job and accomplished their goal with what is a very young team.

Goaldeje

The Legend
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

James Madison

I hate the Seahags, but they are a well put together team. Russel Wilson is NOT a great QB by any stretch, but he doesn't have to be with the defense, special teams, and depth they have amassed. I hate to acknowledge it, but they are impressively assembled. Given our track record, looking to them as a team to emulate certainly strikes me as appropriate, at least in the talent acquisition department.

Goaldeje

The Legend
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

James Madison

I'm a huge homer, but they just won the Super Bowl with as dominating a defense as we've seen in ten years, assembled largely through late draft picks, street free agents, and inexpensive free agents. We were out of the playoffs by November. I want to be where they are and if my team needs to study them to figure out how to be more effective, I'm all for it.

Doesn't mean I like them, or hate my team. I want to knock the bastards off. But we need to improve dramatically to get to that point.

Henry

I drink and I know things
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Of course you win with picks. Who are you arguing with?

Seattle is good right now because they hit on a TON of late round picks.

If you think the Redskins should do that, well, I think that's a stroke of genius. Why didn't I think of that? :)

Lanky Livingston

Yep, Henry nailed it. It's about who's drafting.

Hopefully Gruden can find us a Kearse or Baldwin as UDFAs to give Griffin more weapons.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

LoyalSkinsFan

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Fact of the matter is, you win with a combination of picks, free agents and coaching (scheme). No team, Seahawks included, does it with just one or even two of those three things.

I believe the Redskins have actually had some decent draft picks and free agent pickups the last four seasons. There are some "hits" in both of those categories....and for that we have to thank Bruce Allen, the Shanahans....and even Dan Snyder (if we're to believe what we hear). However, we have only those same folks to blame for the misses....of which, there have been plenty.

But that's the same around the league. Where I feel we've really missed the boat the last four years has been primarily with our coaching and scheming. I can't honestly say that I ever felt that the Shanahans (and Haslett) had the leg up on anyone we faced. I never felt that they utilized our personnel correctly...nor that they'd come back from a halftime deficit with a great adjustment for the second half....something we all counted on with Gibbs in both incarnations.

In addition to the coaching deficiencies, you have to also bring to light that with our cap hit penalties these last two seasons, we simply did not have the numbers of players that the other teams did to sift thru and find those gems. I hate to use that as any kind of excuse, but the truth of the matter is the penalties really did hamper our ability, no matter WHO was making the decisions, to find more players in either the category of no-miss, high profile studs....or low level, unknown and hidden gems (Alfred Morris, aside).

Just my two cents....

Henry

I drink and I know things
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score

Finding Kearse and Baldwin isn't our problem. Anthony Armstrong was a guy like that. If there's one positional approach I wouldn't want to copy on the Seahawks, it would probably be WR.

Our problem is finding Sherman, Chancellor, Bryant, Mebane ...

Honestly, I think the best way to help Griffin is to make sure he knows he doesn't have to score every single time he gets the ball. Think about how slowly Wilson started in the Superbowl. Before Wilson had a chance to make a significant contribution the defense and special teams handed him two extra TDs. With an average defense and/or special teams Seattle's in a dogfight by the second quarter. I'd love to see Kaepernick or Wilson have to put a team on his shoulders every week the way Griffin and Newton have had to.

Better yet, I'd love to see Griffin not trying to win the game by himself every week. I think that would be really cool for a change. :)

Chris

Super Bowl MVP
BGO Ownership Group
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Then we'd better get started today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤