• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Would Green catch Griffin?

Henry

I drink and I know things
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
They were talking about this on the radio today and I thought it was an interesting topic. Would Darrell Green have caught Griffin from behind on Sunday?

In Green's prime, I think he would have.

Discuss. :)

I believe Green would have caught him, but Griff sure did put it in another gear once he turned the corner.

It would be a great chairty fund raiser to get the 2 together for a race in the off-season. I know Green wouldn't stand much of a chance, but he did run a 4.4 on his 50th birthday, so... ;)

I believe Green would have caught him, but Griff sure did put it in another gear once he turned the corner.

I respectfully disagree. Griff turned his head completely around multiple times to see how close the defender was to him, and I believe those movements slow a guy down. He didn't strike me as faster than Green. I think Green would have caught him.

My first reaction was yes.

Then I realized Griffin was being considered to run the hurdles in the Olympics.

Saying he has world class speed isn't just something someone said one day and it stuck. Griffin literally has world class speed.

I'd have to go with Griffin based on that... but I'm super interested in seeing them race in their primes though :)

I'd have to go with Griffin based on that... but I'm super interested in seeing them race in their primes though :)

When Green retired at about 40, he still had most of his speed left.....and knowing him, he probably still does. So, I'd consider Green "still in his prime" even now. So, let's make it happen, Griff and Green :)

There were several times where Darrell Green actually went so fast he began reversing time. Griffin merely threatens the sound barrier.

Reminds me of Superman vs. the Flash comic book races.

My first reaction was yes.

Then I realized Griffin was being considered to run the hurdles in the Olympics.

Saying he has world class speed isn't just something someone said one day and it stuck. Griffin literally has world class speed.

That said, in their primes, Green beat Carl Lewis who was the fastest sprinter alive at that point. Green not only had world class speed, he was the fastest dude alive. Properly trained, I honestly believe he would have made Usain Bolt really nervous.

Well Green was an All-American track star in college. He wasnt just a guy who was fast for a football player, either.

The other thing about Green was he was not just fast, but fast in pads ... Like Griffin apparently is. :)

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Let's pump the brakes just a touch (in a way that Green nor Griffin EVER did/do.) :laugh:

Green runs him down...ask anyone who played during his 20 seasons.

And Griffin out-runs him...ask everyone playing right now.

Can I make it any more clear? :)

I'm as blown away as most with RG3's awesome introduction into the NFL ....That being said there ain't no way in hell Rg3 is faster than DG28.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZF0iZD7J0[/media]:djsmilie:

When Green retired at about 40, he still had most of his speed left.....and knowing him, he probably still does. So, I'd consider Green "still in his prime" even now. So, let's make it happen, Griff and Green :)
I'm as blown away as most with RG3's awesome introduction into the NFL ....That being said there ain't no way in hell Rg3 is faster than DG28.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnZF0iZD7J0[/media]

Totally agree, and that video confirms my earlier statement, implying Green could have EASILY played a few more years. I believe he could have been the oldest starting CB ever at 45.
RG3 is lightening fast, but I believe his speed is exaggerated because he plays the QB position - not exactly a position usually associated with "world-class-speed".

IOW, there's "world-class-speed".....and then there's "Darrell-Green-Class-Speed"

Most of us will never get the image out of our minds of Green running down Dorsett, while Green was a rookie, as if Dorsett was merely going on a slow jog. It wasn't even close. It was as if Dorsett was struck by lightening, the way Green bolted into the picture out of nowhere.

Last edited:
Griffin is fast. But Darrell would catch him. It might take the whole length of the field though.

Griffin is fast. But Darrell would catch him. It might take the whole length of the field though.

You bring up a very important variable, that we all seem to have overlooked, in addition to some other variables.
It's not as cut and dry, as a race from start to finish.
So, when you're talking about whether someone catches someone from behind, you have to consider and specify :

1) How far Green would have been behind Griffin when he began pursuit
2) How far away from the goal line Griffin was, when Green began pursuit.
3) Whether Green would have had a "straight line" towards Griffin, and no blockers to complicate the route.
4) Whether there would be a dirty player like Andre "Dirty" Waters who laid a cheap shot on Darrell to knock him out of the play.

Very good points Henry and China...

I'd also want the test done with both in pads. Because at the end of the day your combine speed means jack crap if you can't do it in pads; the game is played in pads.

And Green had the choice of running the 100 in the Olympics or going into the draft. Also world class speed.

Green in his prime would have caught him. He was doing dam near 4.2 flat in the 40, and had a gear I don't think even Griffin has.

Griffin was a world class hurdler.

Green was a world class sprinter.

Close to the same thing? Yes. The same thing? No.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.