• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Who do you want under center in 2011?

Skinsfan76

The Starter
Reaction score
Donovan McNabb, Rex Grossman, Ryan Mallett, Cam Newton, Jake Locker or someone else?

I figured this would bring up a lot of good discussions.

I could stomach a year of Grossman while we start rebuilding the lines and D in FA and the few draft picks we have. If we take a qb early in the draft it's possible that a vortex will open near my house and swallow me whole. Locker doesn't impress me and Newton's hype is hype, I'll pass.

Question: Could we manuever around in the draft this year and get a NT (the kid from Baylor) and maybe another O Tackle and a WR but still stockpile picks to move up in 2012 draft and get Andrew Luck?

Last edited:
Question: Could we manuever around in the draft this year and get a NT (the kid from Baylor) and maybe another O Tackle and a WR but still stockpile picks to move up in 2012 draft and get Andrew Luck?

I think Andrew Luck in a Redskins' uniform is a pipe dream. We will likely pick somewhere in the mid-teens next year, that would require a complete mortgage of our future picks. That is if he doesn't take a Jake Locker route.

As for the starter going into next season? It will either be McNabb or Grossman. If McNabb can humble himself enough to allow his offensive coordinator to teach him something new, he could end up starting. I could see Shanahan Sr. bringing McNabb back simply because he can't get any value for him in a trade.

If McNabb is indeed gone, which is the more likely scenario, Rex did enough in the last three games of the season to at least get the chance to start.

I think Rex starts on opening day next year.

Sonny Jurgensen

Well, you asked what we wanted.

I think it'll be the big Sexy in week one.

I really have a feeling we draft Locker, but I'd be surprised if he starts. Think we'll go with Grossman to start the 2011 season.

I like Locker and I think he's definitely on our radar. A pick in the top ten should only come once in a great while and QB has got to be a top, if not THE top priority there.

I have to agree with the majority of you in saying Grossman will be our starter on opening day next season though. Even if we draft a QB early he needs to sit till he's ready.

I like Locker and I think he's definitely on our radar. A pick in the top ten should only come once in a great while and QB has got to be a top, if not THE top priority there.

I have to agree with the majority of you in saying Grossman will be our starter on opening day next season though. Even if we draft a QB early he needs to sit till he's ready.

Do Locker's accuracy issues concern you HF? I have been a Locker fan since I have heard reports that he is a favorite of Shanahan. But I have tremendous concerns with his accuracy problems. I have read that this is a coachable aspect of a QB's game, but I look at a player like McNabb and well...

I am just afraid we will be reaching with any of the QB prospects at the #10 position. I have become a fan of the best player available at this position, probably a 3-4 DE since it seems DE is deep this draft.

I wasn't impressed at all with Locker this past season and he looked like garbage during the Senior Bowl. Gotta agree with Boone. We'll likely have to settle for Unsexy Rexy to start 2011 unless something REALLY strange happens.

I just wanted to see what everybody thought. I actually think the starting QB in 2011 is McNabb. We gave up two draft picks for this guy and one of them was a 2nd rounder. I just don't see him just getting thirteen games to prove himself and then he is out. He trade value is in the toilet right now. We would be lucky to get a 5th round pick for him right now. That is less than we got for Jason Campbell!

The Skins have to many needs, O-line and D-line to spend another pick on a QB. We also need a game changing WR, not to mention another starting cornerback (Carlos Rogers is not going to resign with us) We don't have a 3rd or a 4th round pick this year. Hopefully we will get one or the other for Haynesworth but that is not even a sure thing.

Unless A.J. Green falls to us in the draft this year we should try and trade down. I want Taylor out of Baylor but we shouldn't have to take him at #10 but he won't be there at #42. O-line is still a concern too.

I think the Shanahan's knew what they had in Grossman before the year started. If they thought he was good enough then we wouldn't have traded for McNabb.

I sometimes have trouble with questions like this because if my tendency to shelve what I'd like to see happen in favor of what I think may be most likely to happen but in this instance both those ideas may be operative.

To be honest, I'm just not all that impressed with this season's QB crop-including Locker and Newton-especially when viewed from the perspective of what the Redskins "need list" is. I'd be willing, and I think it's also likely, that Grossman start and we fill more pressing needs first. Of course there's also the off-the-wall possibility that Allen/Shanahan may dump some players to get two or three extra picks in the draft and that might just change things.

Do Locker's accuracy issues concern you HF? I have been a Locker fan since I have heard reports that he is a favorite of Shanahan. But I have tremendous concerns with his accuracy problems. I have read that this is a coachable aspect of a QB's game, but I look at a player like McNabb and well...

I am just afraid we will be reaching with any of the QB prospects at the #10 position. I have become a fan of the best player available at this position, probably a 3-4 DE since it seems DE is deep this draft.

The accuracy issue is definitely a concern with Locker. As I understand even last year when he would have been number one overall most likely his throwing fundamentals were called into question. That's why I think it's critical for him to go into a situation where he doesn't have to start right away so he can get his throwing motion corrected. He's a big guy with surprising speed and by all accounts is a good leader so i think he's in the mix.

Reports out after the Senior Bowl had him slipping behind Colin Kaepernick (of Nevada) and Christian Ponder (Florida St.). Not sure if I'm buying that or not. That said I'm not tied to Locker. I'd like to see us trade down a few picks regardless of who is available at 10 and see if we can get an extra pick somewhere in the top of the draft. We should know more after the combine on Jake.

The accuracy issue is definitely a concern with Locker. As I understand even last year when he would have been number one overall most likely his throwing fundamentals were called into question. That's why I think it's critical for him to go into a situation where he doesn't have to start right away so he can get his throwing motion corrected. He's a big guy with surprising speed and by all accounts is a good leader so i think he's in the mix.

Reports out after the Senior Bowl had him slipping behind Colin Kaepernick (of Nevada) and Christian Ponder (Florida St.). Not sure if I'm buying that or not. That said I'm not tied to Locker. I'd like to see us trade down a few picks regardless of who is available at 10 and see if we can get an extra pick somewhere in the top of the draft. We should know more after the combine on Jake.

HF, just out of curiosity, what's your take on Blaine Gabbert? His total yardage numbers were down but he has a high completion percentage and has good size-do you think he's one we could develop?

Just so it isn't someone named Cam Newton. Too many are buying into the hype.

No kidding. I read somewhere last week a scout said that Newton's potential was literally limitless. I know enough to know and acknowledge that I don't know as much about football as I might like you to think. But I am NOT seeing it with Cam. In fairness to the young man, I think there are two things working against him, one unique to Redskins' fans, the other more general.

The last QB to come out of Auburn after an almost perfect season was Campbell. I have a feeling that some of us are resisting Newton partially because of that. In addition, the last time an SEC QB in this mold flew up the draft boards so quickly was JaMarcus the Hutt. I would expect some to be a bit hesitant to go out on a limb for this kid because of the epic disaster that was Russell.

Having said all that, I don't see Cam being successful, seems like a flash in the pan to me.

Gabbert has been moving up a lot of boards lately. The question some have with him is that he played in a gimmick offense. There are countless guys who put up obscene TD numbers in college who are never able to make the transition to a pro style offense. I think that’s a valid concern. The difference with Gabbert is he has the size that most of the guys who come from those types of offenses usually lack. He’s not 5’11” like Colt. Gabbert is 6’5” with a big arm.

I doubt he’ll be able to show up and start day one. Who knows how long it would take him to pick up a pro style offense. If he can get into the right situation where he isn’t asked to start right away…..sound familiar?

I was talking to a buddy and the Campbell and Russell comparison came up. Another concern is his dad. How much of a pain and or distracton will he be? I may be wrong, but seems to be too many red flags with Newton.

Is Newton smart enough to handle the quick decisions required in the WCO? How accurate is Newton?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.