• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What's the chance of this scenario happening after next year ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
Another one of those hypothetical "looking ahead threads" if you'll humor me for a moment.
I don't think this possibility has been discussed, probably because it's so unlikely. But it IS possible.
So here goes.

Let's say, Shanahan gets another year to prove himself. He gets an offseason without a cap penalty, and RG3 gets another offseason to fully heal. So neither of them have excuses next year. But we still end up sucking, with a losing record. Again, not saying it's gonna happen. Just imagining. So, after the 2014 season, Shanahan gets fired.

So we bring in a new coach. And he says, "You know what ? I think Cousins is more suited to be this teams' franchise QB....RG3 is not the pocket-passer we need, and/or has health issues, and/or is injury-prone, etc."

So the new coach pulls off a "Herschel Walker-type" trade, and ends up trading RG3, NOT Cousins, for a boatload of pics. And he uses those multiple picks to fill the numerous position needs we have, and to put his own stamp on the team. The new coach doesn't have to worry about the fan/city fallout of getting rid of RG3, since obviously he didn't draft him, so he doesn't take as much heat for the trade, as Shanahan would, if he had done it.

So then Cousins ends up the long-term starter of the Skins. And Cousins hoists 3 Lombardis in DC under the new coach.

Most of this might sound crazy.
But how possible ?

About as possible of me getting on the field as our new starting FB...

I think this is pretty close to what's about to happen. Shanahan will be gone, and the new coach will want his own guy, or injury will force a move.

I do think you're greatly overestimating RG3's trade value though. With 2 acl surgeries, I imagine many gms now consider him damaged goods, and wouldn't think of trading for him.

Vinny's no longer in the league. We might be able to get a mid to lower round first for him right now. Nothing more.

I think this is pretty close to what's about to happen. Shanahan will be gone, and the new coach will want his own guy, or injury will force a move.

I do think you're greatly overestimating RG3's trade value though. With 2 acl surgeries, I imagine many gms now consider him damaged goods, and wouldn't think of trading for him. Vinny's no longer in the league. We might be able to get a mid to lower round first for him right now. Nothing more.

I think any coach brought in would be picked to work with Roberts strengths. I like Cousins, think he could start in the league in time, but nobody in their right mind takes Cousins over Griffin. It's about as likely as Megan Fox showing up at my front door demanding animal sex with me....

Someone who, like McD5 said, believes RG3 is damaged goods

I don't know how anybody can declare a QB damaged goods that's played behind our line. Manning or Brady would put up pedestrian numbers while running for their life, and throwing off their back foot behind our line.

Yeah, the Oline is really nothing but a work of junk.

Finally going to say it. Time for this entire coaching staff to go after the season.

I don't know how anybody can declare a QB damaged goods that's played behind our line. Manning or Brady would put up pedestrian numbers while running for their life, and throwing off their back foot behind our line.

Not damaged goods in terms of talent, although only time will tell if he ever gets back to where he was last year.

Damaged goods meaning that he's already had two major knee surgeries. That injury history poses a greater risk to any GM hoping to build a team for the next five years, and it reduces his trade value.

And Fear, nice thread. Did you hear Gruden talk about exactly this tonight?

I think any coach brought in would be picked to work with Roberts strengths. I like Cousins, think he could start in the league in time, but nobody in their right mind takes Cousins over Griffin. It's about as likely as Megan Fox showing up at my front door demanding animal sex with me....

Wait, that doesn't happen to everyone else?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

unles we got 3 number 1s id lose it

Yeah...I think for better or worse, Griffin is or QB. Too much invested in him.

Which is why I used the example of a new coach coming in, and therefore not being obsessed with recouping the same value that the previous coach paid.
New coach, means everything on the team comes under a new perception

Last edited:
If Dan fires the coach, does that mean that the new coach will have a 5 year plan to rebuild the team? If so, how many 5 year plans do we have to go through again? How many 5 year plans has it been already?

Schotty was an illusion. He had one playoff win in SD. Hes like Barry bonds in pitt...amazing regular season numbers but falls apart in the clutch

Well, I didn't say he'd make us a dynasty. I said, at least "keep us a playoff team". I would take that, and his "amazing regular season numbers but falls apart in the clutch", over what we've had in the likes of Turner, Spurrier, Zorn, Shanahan, any day, any year. Wouldn't you ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.