• Welcome to the New BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the new software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you find potential glitches, please report those in the Possible New Site Glitches and Issues thread. If you have questions, post them in the New Site Questions? thread.
  • BGO Oracle is a special 'Answer Forum'. Pose any question of your choosing, from 'What is the meaning of life?' to 'How can I remove blood stains from the trunk of my car?'. Members can vote 'up' or 'down' to identify best and worst answers and our software will pronounce the ultimate winner.

What is the BEST commercial beer you've ever had?

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

I love beer. I've tried a ton of commercial beers. While some of my favorites have been offered at local brew pubs, let's limit this to just those beers available for purchase in a bottle off the shelf at your local grocery or wine/beer outlet.

What's the best commercial beer you've ever had?

Neophyte

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

I'll go with something I can get nationally so that everyone recognizes it - Sierra Nevada Pale Ale

MikefromOH

Ring of Fame
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Navy

Brew Dog - Hazy Jane IPA
Natty Boh

but, most aren't nationally distributed.

Win4us

Super Bowl MVP
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Air Force

Been a minute since I’ve consumed a beer but this mofo really stood out when I was in Germany. It’s a thicker lager that’s similar to Heineken texture wise but mucho better imo.

Bischoff, I know they had it in ample supply at Las Vegas liquor stores but not sure about other states.

Attachments

Ax

The Ugly American
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

My next one?

Yuengling.

Recommended to me by BigMike, some years back. (y)

China

The Team Captain
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Michigan State

Available in grocery stores near me: Dogfish Indian Brown Ale

I think that's more of a regional beer though.

More national I like Sam Adams Octoberfest in winter and Summer Ale in summer.

33redskins33

The Cheerleader
Reaction score

Virginia

Rouge makes Dead Guy Ale that's really good and my local brewery, Bombshell Beer Company, makes Head Over Hops which is really good, too.

MikefromOH

Ring of Fame
Joe Gibbs Club Member
Reaction score

Navy

are sculpin and sierra nevada commercial? I always thought commercial as the big 3 (bud, coors, miller) and craft to be not that

but, I am game for any of it.

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

I personally consider any beers available in grocery stores ‘commercial’. I would describe the big 3 or 4 as ‘domestic’ but hey those are just words. Definitely wanted to include any beers widely available in stores.

Neophyte

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

are sculpin and sierra nevada commercial? I always thought commercial as the big 3 (bud, coors, miller) and craft to be not that

but, I am game for any of it.
Commercial to me is any beer produced and packaged for sale. In other words, not homebrewed.

The Big 3 (plus a few others like Corona, Heinie, Stella, etc) I refer to as macro beer when I am speaking to a group on the subject. Everything outside of macro beer is craft, although I don't like that term either because there is a lot of craft in the making of macro beer. I prefer the word artisanal or artisan to describe what most refer to as craft. The art has been beaten out of the big guys. But that is just me.

Boone

GM
Staff member
Reaction score

Marine Corps Virginia

My next one?

Yuengling.

Recommended to me by BigMike, some years back. (y)
You know - Yuengling is fine. But for me - it's kind of like the McDonalds of mid-level beers. It's not fine dining but you always know what you are getting. It always taste the same. Among homebrewers, there is this belief that all 'extract' beers (beers where the brewer uses malt extract/syrup instead of creating the malt with crushed grains) have this basic background taste that, no matter what additions you make to the beer, pervades the beer.

That's what Yuengling tastes like to me. Don't get me wrong. I would drink one all day long. It's a fine beer. But it does have a very distinct taste that can get boring after awhile. Just me - everyone's taste buds are different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Private conversations
Help Users
    You haven't joined any rooms.
    Chat 0