• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

What’s your favorite ‘Comfort Food’?

Prepping for the cooler weather this week. If it wasn't for the beans, you could call this stuff chili. :chef:

20231217_125706.jpg

Doing Skinsfan1311 's 'Mississippi Pot Roast' today for 9 hrs or so in the slow cooker. Only variation, I put the chuck roast on a bed of diced shallots/garlic/celery/brussel sprouts, topped it with carrots and will add mushrooms and baby potatoes for the last 3 hours of the cook. Splash of beef stock as well. Super easy recipe and Skinsfan1311 is right - it's really good.

Doing Skinsfan1311 's 'Mississippi Pot Roast' today for 9 hrs or so in the slow cooker. Only variation, I put the chuck roast on a bed of diced shallots/garlic/celery/brussel sprouts, topped it with carrots and will add mushrooms and baby potatoes for the last 3 hours of the cook. Splash of beef stock as well. Super easy recipe and Skinsfan1311 is right - it's really good.

bored waiting GIF

It was great!!!!
I strain the broth into a Pyrex 4-cup measuring container & refrigerate. The buttery fat rises to the top and forms a hard puck.

Put the the leftover meat, (along with chunk of the the puck), vacuum seal it into meal size portions, freeze and and reheat it in the *sous-vide. I freeze the leftover broth too, and use it in chili,(or anything that calls for beef broth or stock), instead of water or beef broth. It adds a depth of flavor and richness that you can't get from canned stock. Write down how much liquid is in the bag when you freeze it.

*sous vide machine isn't necessary...you can simmer the bags on the stove-top. Just make sure that the simmering temp is lower than the cooking temp was...you're reheating, not cooking. It's roughly 45 minutes per inch of food....add another 45 minutes if the bag is frozen. Vac sealer isn't necessary either...you can use freezer bags.

It's not something I grew up with, but definitely in a lot of folks 'comfort food' lists - Chicken Fried Steak.

My local grocer is old-school so cubed steak is something always readily available. Going to do some spiced up Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes with milk gravy, and a Thanksgiving-style green bean casserole.

Monday off dinner.

This is a relatively new (last 7 years or so) comfort food for me. Nothing gourmet about it but it makes me happy.

Ground beef, onion, garlic, crushed red pepper, cream of mushroom soup, Coleman’s dried mustard, Worcestershire sauce, milk, sour cream, and egg noodles.

IMG_7565.jpeg

Sounds a lot like beef stroganoff - and making me hungry!

My name for it is actually Fake Stroganoff 🤣

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.