• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Water collection for irrigation?

SC_RedskinsFan

The Starter
Reaction score
Military Branch
Marine Corps
My neighbor and I are talking about doing some sort of water collection off our roofs to irrigate our yards, plants, and gardens. Have any of yall done anything like this? We are on city water, so we get charged for water and sewer when we water. I am looking at 500-1000 gallon holding tanks with any overflow going back into the storm drain. Any suggestions and or thoughts?

Are you looking to create water by heat and condensation?

We are talking about collecting rainwater off our roofs. I am thinking about trying to put some tanks under my deck. I wish I would have thought about this when I was designing it! I am not opposed to putting a big tank in some sort of shed that is not an eye sore.

I would be nice to have some sort of solar pump system to then pump the water for pressure to irrigate our yard. It looks like it would pay for itself in a couple of years, plus have watered plants, and lawn

I was reading last night that if you have a 1000sq ft roof and it rains 1" that you would be able to collect roughly 600 gallons of water.

Yep, rainwater harvesting is easy to set up and not expensive. Heck, you could check your local famer's market, if it's good size they may have a vendor who could help you.

My neighbor and I are talking about doing some sort of water collection off our roofs to irrigate our yards, plants, and gardens. Have any of yall done anything like this? We are on city water, so we get charged for water and sewer when we water. I am looking at 500-1000 gallon holding tanks with any overflow going back into the storm drain. Any suggestions and or thoughts?
My advice? Check the laws of your state an local government on collecting rainwater, some places fine you for that. Seriously.

My advice? Check the laws of your state an local government on collecting rainwater, some places fine you for that. Seriously.

I just checked out Ohio, and they have the most legislation on rainwater harvesting in the country, and are pro for doing it! So it is not an issue. I also read that if you have a metal roof and certain other conditions are met, that it is considered potable. Of course we have a shingle roof, and are really only interested in using it for watering our lawn and such.

I am researching using one of these tanks 530 Gallon Slimline Rain Tank on the back of our house, and if it works good going the same for the gutter on the front of our house. Tho I am still tossing around the thought of getting a big round one and having both gutters feed it. Poly-Mart Water Tank | 1500 Gallons | Tanks For Less

This is something that we are going to do. It seems like for a grand or so investment we can set it up

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.