• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Wash Post: Gruden Is Fixing The Offensive Line

well...I just like reading the title of this thread! I keep coming back to it!

This article has me scratching my head a bit.

I don't think that Rick (who I really like) was at the combine. This article seems to be more opinion than anything actually factual considering that there are absolutely no sources named or even hinted at for any of the points addressed. Like what players were being scouted and potential scheming to get into the first round.

Without any attribution, the piece strikes me as nothing more than an exercise in speculation.

Last edited:
Seems like he has information on who they scouted, but it does read like speculation.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm reserving judgement until the draft.

When we draft WR, Safety, LB with the first 3 picks it'll be clear that this article isn't worth wiping your ass with.

at the least...the article notes who has been looked at. the important point, IMO, is the recognition that o-line needs to be fixed. how the strategy unfolds will be dictated in part by circumstances. obviously, they aren't going to overtly tip their hand now - though we'll know in about two weeks the first stage of the strategy!!

Yeah, I'm reserving judgement until the draft.

When we draft WR, Safety, LB with the first 3 picks it'll be clear that this article isn't worth wiping your ass with.

I'd bet my car that doesn't happen. No way they go three picks without addressing the OL (unless they turn 34 into a bunch of 2nd & 3rd rounders via trade).

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

How does Rick know who we looked at? How does he know we are going to focus on the o-line?

All Gruden has said is "that we have a lot of holes everywhere".

Did he give an exclusive to Snider? If so, why no quotes from the coach, or anyone in the organization? Not even the elusive un-named sources are credited.

If someone is filtering him info off-the-record about such various and sundry items like players we are scouting/focusing on or draft pick trade ruminations, it begs the question- why?

Is the team trying to disguise their focus by putting out false information or is the individual leaking just stupid?

I would hope that this early into the tenure of the new staff that there aren't already loose lips in the group.

Either way, I remain suspect of the articles content. You would never see a piece written like this by, let's say, John Kiem.

Even this article by Mike Jones is more informative about Gruden's thoughts and includes quotes nor merely suppositions disguised as facts.

New Washington Redskins Coach Jay Gruden ?taking care of the important issues? - The Washington Post

Here is Gruden's PC comments at the combine-

Y! SPORTS

The more I read ya'lls responses, the more I have to agree.. Something seems shallow with this. The write COULD have observed the combine and when Clowney was on the field noticed that Gruden wasn't in sight. I watched some of the combine and saw someone with a Redskins hat and a video camera watching Logan Thomas (QB VT) through all the drills I watched.

Imagine that...

A bunch of 'Skins fans skeptical of O Line commitment by the team.

I wonder why... ~

eh...all I care is that the o-line is on the radar screen...from the article Chris referenced (all obvious as well):

The Redskins must upgrade many of the pieces in Gruden’s offense. Wide receiver and offensive line rank among the need areas. Pierre Garcon, whom Gruden praised, is back. But the team lacks consistent secondary receivers. Gruden said he likes the skill set of second-year tight end Jordan Reed and speed of third-year wideout Aldrick Robinson. But health (for Reed) and consistency (for Robinson) are reasons for concern.

Meanwhile, an offensive line that allowed 43 sacks also figures to require an overhaul. Gruden sees other problem areas on the roster as well.

1 FA lineman
1 lineman from the draft
1 from the group of Compton,Hurt,Gettis or Ribeye

And we're well on our way to fixing the OL.

If the team does sign Collins in FA I would not be surprised to see a WR or S taken at 34.

For purposes of moving things along, I vote we eliminate the 1st week of March.

Or just move the start of free agency up to yesterday.

That article was quite a disappointing read. The title refers to something many of us want to see happen. The article itself has nothing of substance in it at all. Total crap.

43 sacks...smh.

For a fan base that was once treated to a team that gave up only six through 15 games that's just a painful stat to learn.

While Chris Russell is correct that some of the sacks were the result of qb holding the ball too long the MAJOR culprit was a lack of quickness off the ball at RT and a lack of strength to anchor inside.

The only must-have on this line to me is Williams.

Efforts by some to boost the value of this line combination seem way off-base.

43 sacks...smh.

For a fan base that was once treated to a team that gave up only six through 15 games that's just a painful stat to learn.

That was a different era though, CT. Defenses didn't sell out to get to the QB like they do now. The name of the game was to read and react. Now days, the defense wants to dictate to the offense what it does. Even the Hogs couldn't keep a QB clean like that today.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.