• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

WaPo: Are RGIII & Shanahan a good fit? Yes, if you consider the facts.

• Thread starter Lanky Livingston
  • Start date

Lanky Livingston

I usually despise Jenkins' writing, but this one is spot on.

With the NFL draft promising to be a shockless affair, commentators are trying desperately to gin up some drama by suggesting Robert Griffin III might not be a Washington Redskin after all. Donovan McNabb, in an ESPN audition that veered between personal gripe and gibberish, even tried to foil the deal by saying Griffin is a bad fit and should beware of Coach Mike Shanahan’s lousy record with quarterbacks. Personally, I’m strangely confident that RGIII will be the Redskins’ draft pick, and will thrive under Shanahan. What explains my mysterious sense of well-being? Facts. Oh, those.

In less than three weeks RGIII will be wearing a Redskins cap, despite the chatter from talking heads and posturing by Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay. The fact is, Irsay has peddled Stanford’s Andrew Luck to his fan base since November as the next Peyton Manning, and he isn’t going to disappoint them now. The fact is, the Colts had a private workout with Luck on Tuesday. The fact is, RGIII declined to work out for the Colts, because it’s a waste of his time and he prefers to play for the Redskins.

That’s right: Griffin is so comfortable with the Redskins that he is willing to forgo being discussed as a No.1 pick. Apparently, Griffin believes that he is in the right hands with Shanahan. What accounts for this confidence?

It’s apparently McNabb’s contention that no one is a good fit as Redskins quarterback under Shanahan, not Griffin, nor Luck, nor Bart Starr. Asked to respond, Shanahan said: “I’d like to let the statistics speak for themselves. I think I can take the high road.”

When Manning hit the open market, McNabb publicly insisted Shanahan’s ego couldn’t coexist with a mature pocket passer who makes his own decisions. “Peyton’s not gonna go there,” he announced. Turns out the Redskins were on Manning’s list, and he met at length with Shanahan. Now it’s RGIII’s turn. According to McNabb, Shanahan doesn’t know how to deal with a piston-legged, rope-armed improvisational rookie quarterback, either. McNabb also ripped Shanahan’s work with Brian Griese, Jake Plummer and Jay Cutler, as if they were all failures.

“We talk so much about Mike Shanahan and the things he was able to do in Denver,” McNabb said. “Well, I have couple of names for you that Mike Shanahan — quarterbacks he’s coached — and the lack of success he’s had.”

But what does the record really say?

Let’s start by asking what the gauge of a successful relationship with a quarterback should be. “You can go by so many different stats,” Shanahan said. “The perception, the most basic one people look at is, 'Did you win a Super Bowl at the end of the day?’ ”

Shanahan can claim two Super Bowl collaborations with John Elway, but that’s a statistical sample from a long time ago, and deceptive. Super Bowl teams tend to have great supporting casts that make a quarterback look better.

Click link for the rest.

Yea, funny hearing a guy who chokes in all the big games, and even the little ones lol, and has never won a Super Bowl, trying to tell people what a guy can and cannot do, who HAS won 2 Super Bowls.

100% spot on from Jenkins.

It seems like RGIII quickly warmed up to Coach Shanahan and his style - the rapport is undeniable even to the untrained eye. We know that Coach will retire in the next few years and move to the upper echelon of the FO. Guess who is the head coach then?

The rapport will continue between the coaches and QB for a long time. RG3 knows this is his home and extended family for many years to come.

McNabb is an after thought. why does anyone care what he thinks after his performance in Minny? He's only hurting what used to be a stand-up reputation. not good thinking on his part.

McGagg is the perfect candidate for one of the local asshole media outlets to hire as a Redskins antagonist.

That's how Riggins, Bitchell, and LaVar "Maggot Dung" Arrington got jobs.

If he isn't picked up by one of the big boys, nationally, here's where may likely wind up.

I love Lavar and BMitch - they tell it like it is without sugarcoating anything. I honestly don't get all the hate for them either. Both wanted to be life-long Redskins, and both were cast aside. Sure they said some nasty things when leaving, but such is life IMO.

Bitchell is hard to listen to. He's got a severe case of angry little man syndrome, and loves the sound of his own voice. He thinks he's right about everything. And, in his little mind, I guess he is. For people who love to bitch just for the sake of it, he's perfect.

I do not listen to, or read anything, by Mr. Assholton. And, wouldn't piss in his mouth if his teeth were on fire. I wish he'd go back to Pennsylvania, forever.

McGagg is the perfect candidate for one of the local asshole media outlets to hire as a Redskins antagonist.

That's how Riggins, Bitchell, and LaVar "Maggot Dung" Arrington got jobs.

If he isn't picked up by one of the big boys, nationally, here's where may likely wind up.

I don't think he was a Redskin long enough to earn a media spot in DC, speaking for the Redskins. He qualifies, based on the bitterness prerequisite, but not based on tenure. When people think of McCrabb's past career, they don't think of him as a Redskin. Let him go back to Philly and bitch about how Reid lost faith in him too early.

I love Lavar and BMitch - they tell it like it is without sugarcoating anything. I honestly don't get all the hate for them either. Both wanted to be life-long Redskins, and both were cast aside. Sure they said some nasty things when leaving, but such is life IMO.

You gotta be kidding me? I have no problem if you like them both - but they're both clowns to a certain extent. Now I'll give Mitchell way more credit than Arrington, because he was an awesome player and a gutsy as hell one. But talk about having a chip on your shoulder and being a hot-head. But Arrington - over-rated and a drama queen who makes McNabb look like a model citizen. I saw the guy up close in the locker room - a lot. Total diva and arrogant ass. That's what I saw. I think the Redskins (and probably rightfully so) just plain got tired of his mouth and bull****. As for whether they got run out of town, I don't know if that's accurate or not. I don't recall the details of BMitch's departure. Arrington did everything he could to alienate the front office and the coaching staff. It's amazing they kept him as long as they did.

They don't 'tell it like it is'. They tell it like they see it. Not the same thing.

You gotta be kidding me? I have no problem if you like them both - but they're both clowns to a certain extent. Now I'll give Mitchell way more credit than Arrington, because he was an awesome player and a gutsy as hell one. But talk about having a chip on your shoulder and being a hot-head. But Arrington - over-rated and a drama queen who makes McNabb look like a model citizen. I saw the guy up close in the locker room - a lot. Total diva and arrogant ass. That's what I saw. I think the Redskins (and probably rightfully so) just plain got tired of his mouth and bull****. As for whether they got run out of town, I don't know if that's accurate or not. I don't recall the details of BMitch's departure. Arrington did everything he could to alienate the front office and the coaching staff. It's amazing they kept him as long as they did.

They don't 'tell it like it is'. They tell it like they see it. Not the same thing.

:thumbsup:

He even signed to a division rival so he could beat us twice a year as he so eloquently put it.

And look what Karma may have done to end his career, so quickly after signing with that rival. Not that I wish injury upon anyone.

I love Lavar and BMitch - they tell it like it is without sugarcoating anything.

I have always felt this way about Sally Jenkins. I believe she's the best female sports reporter/journalist in the country.

I find it odd that you don't like her....yet you like Lavar. She's been right about the Skins all along.

I find it odd that you don't like her....yet you like Lavar. She's been right about the Skins all along.

Don't have the examples handy, but she's been wrong plenty of times. Lavar and BMitch also. The reason I don't like Sally is that she hasn't earned the right to the vitriol she uses in some of her Redskins pieces.

Man - I get crap for holding a grudge against Vinny Cerrato, the man responsible for setting this franchise back a DECADE, yet some of you still hold grudges against Lavar and BMitch? Okay then...

lavar was a ****ty linebacker, a ****ty businessman and a bad teammate and person. remember when he tried to humiliate ST with the pie thing? or how about playing against Tampa bay when he got burned not once, not twice but three times on a bootleg TE flare?

He was an extremely athletic guy before the knee injury, but all he had was speed and quickness, when that was gone, so was his career.

I don't really have a problem with Mitchell or Arrington. They're not the first players to experience ugly departures from their team, especially when it's due to front office changes. I remember Kurt Gouviea, one of my very favorite players from the Gibbs I era being EXTREMELY bitter about being cut by Norv Turner, and even talking some **** about the team afterwards. In the end I didn't care. I don't expect a guy to like being cut. I remember Mike Sellers talking **** about the Redskins when he was with Cleveland. Then he came back and we all loved him again.

Who here is shocked that Mitchell was bitter about being replaced by Deion Sanders? Deion. Sanders. Frankly, I agree with Mitchell on that. For a guy who spent his career hating the Cowboys and putting up pro-bowl numbers for the Redskins to be replaced by the guy who epitomized what we in DC all despised about our most bitter rival ... no wonder he was ticked off. I was ticked for him. Being Mitchell, he said some stuff during his time in Philly but I got over it.

Arrington didn't leave here under the best of circumstances either but again, the Redskins have been making such horrible personnel decisions for so long that I'm having trouble holding grudges against guys that were victims of it.

These day they're just talk show guys. Frankly, they aren't any more critical of the team than Doc Walker or John Riggins. I really don't get the hate. They decided to come back here and be Redskins for life. That's good enough for me.

Sally Jenkins? Eh. She's a New Yorker paid to write about the Redskins. She doesn't like Snyder. And even though I'm no fan of Snyder I find her work lazy Snyder-hate. It's boring and generally worthless. And unlike a former player, she's not going to tell me anything I don't already know.

Arrington didn't leave here under the best of circumstances either but again, the Redskins have been making such horrible personnel decisions for so long that I'm having trouble holding grudges against guys that were victims of it.
Arrington was a victim of his own ignorance and stupidity. Nothing else.

These day they're just talk show guys. Frankly, they aren't any more critical of the team than Doc Walker or John Riggins. I really don't get the hate. They decided to come back here and be Redskins for life. That's good enough for me.
Doc is the only one who seems to really care about the team. Riggins has stated that he does not. For him and Arrington, it's about getting paid, and nothing else. "Redskin for life" is hysterically inaccurate, IMO.

Arrington is a liar, and stupid in every area except one. He is media savvy. He's living off of misguided fan worship for career achievements that don't even crack the top 20 All-Time Redskin Linebackers club. His potential, repeat, potential, is what he never came close to reaching, yet is somehow sustaining him financially. He does it here because it pays better than going back to Penn St (his ONLY other option) and because local media people want any anti-Snyder/Redskin antagonist they can find.

Sally Jenkins? Eh. She's a New Yorker paid to write about the Redskins. She doesn't like Snyder. And even though I'm no fan of Snyder I find her work lazy Snyder-hate. It's boring and generally worthless. And unlike a former player, she's not going to tell me anything I don't already know.
I don't see her as any different than Riggins or Arrington. Except Riggins never got a check from Mara. At least I don't think so.

As for Bitchell, it's more his delivery style than anything. He sounds like he's complaining even when he's trying to praise something. He also, like Boomer Esiason, talks like he never did anything wrong in his entire career. Oh, he may say he did at times, but the impression he gives off is, he did not. He's hard to listen to because I do like the guy, except when his lips are moving.

I don't really have a problem with Mitchell or Arrington. They're not the first players to experience ugly departures from their team, especially when it's due to front office changes. I remember Kurt Gouviea, one of my very favorite players from the Gibbs I era being EXTREMELY bitter about being cut by Norv Turner, and even talking some **** about the team afterwards. In the end I didn't care. I don't expect a guy to like being cut. I remember Mike Sellers talking **** about the Redskins when he was with Cleveland. Then he came back and we all loved him again.

Who here is shocked that Mitchell was bitter about being replaced by Deion Sanders? Deion. Sanders. Frankly, I agree with Mitchell on that. For a guy who spent his career hating the Cowboys and putting up pro-bowl numbers for the Redskins to be replaced by the guy who epitomized what we in DC all despised about our most bitter rival ... no wonder he was ticked off. I was ticked for him. Being Mitchell, he said some stuff during his time in Philly but I got over it.

VERY well said, Henry. B Mitch was replaced by Deion, we should ALL share his venom over that ridiculous move! Deion stayed here for a year, collected a huge bonus, and promptly retired. I don't think he ever had plans to do anything differently. B Mitch went on to have a couple more successful seasons, that could have been in Washington.

That one move was the epitome of early DanSnyderitis - release a long time locker room guy, core Redskin, for a flashy free agent. I have way more venom towards Dan and Vinny than I ever will against Mitchell.

And Lavar - his whole contract situation just seemed SHADY from the get go. And if we're all being honest, not from his end. A $6.5M bonus just disappears from the contract? Come on now...

Anyway, as usual, much better said than I ever could.

Arrington was a victim of his own ignorance and stupidity. Nothing else.

Doc is the only one who seems to really care about the team. Riggins has stated that he does not. For him and Arrington, it's about getting paid, and nothing else. "Redskin for life" is hysterically inaccurate, IMO.

Arrington is a liar, and stupid in every area except one. He is media savvy. He's living off of misguided fan worship for career achievements that don't even crack the top 20 All-Time Redskin Linebackers club. His potential, repeat, potential, is what he never came close to reaching, yet is somehow sustaining him financially. He does it here because it pays better than going back to Penn St (his ONLY other option) and because local media people want any anti-Snyder/Redskin antagonist they can find.

Eh. For ten years with this team it's always been someone else's fault. I got over thinking that a few years ago. I have no special love for Arrington. I just don't see why his break with the team is any different than any number of other players.

People are critical of this team because it sucks. Sorry. We've been a ****ty team for 20 years. I used to hate when people pointed it out but at some point it's not the rest of the world with a problem. And just like every day people, Riggins and Walker and Mitchell and even Arrington and guys like Chad Dukes ... they would say positive things about the team if it started, you know, winning games. Even Sally Jenkins seems ready to get on the bandwagon.

I know I am. :)

As for Bitchell, it's more his delivery style than anything. He sounds like he's complaining even when he's trying to praise something. He also, like Boomer Esiason, talks like he never did anything wrong in his entire career. Oh, he may say he did at times, but the impression he gives off is, he did not. He's hard to listen to because I do like the guy, except when his lips are moving.

Now that I understand. Mitchell has never been the best orator in the world, and when he gets on a roll he doesn't always make a ton of sense. But that's not exactly hate. That just, he's not very good at radio. And I don't disagree with that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.