• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The TV Show suggestion thread

Snydershrugged

The Franchise Player
Reaction score
I did a quick search by title and didnt see a thread for this yet (if I messed up I apologize and wont gripe if it needs a merge!)

Last year, my family decided to ditch our TV service (Direct TV) not only for the savings but also to spend less time in front of the boob tube!

That said, we still like to enjoy some programming and will pick up on various series and watch just those in times of boredom and bad weather.

Netflicks and Boxee provide just about anything we could want, but we miss the benefit of knowing when shows are on and/or premier.

Could we use this thread to share ideas on what good shows are out there? (like the movie thread)

For me, a new show we watched last night was "The Following" with Kevin Bacon. I enjoyed it and it seems like there are lots of options for it to go in the future too.

For comedic value, we love the showtime show, "Shameless"

Also cant wait for the next seasons of Game of Thrones, sons of anarchy and the Walking Dead.

What are shows you all enjoy?

Good thread idea. I am on record as being a huge fan of Justified. If you're not watching that and love a good Western (set in Kentucky), you're wrong. My wife loves Parenthood, though the season finale was last night, and we also watch Cougartown (gives me an excuse to drink wine with her) which is funny. Love Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead as well. Have to admit that our two oldest girls and my wife and I have really gotten into Nashville as well.

Good thread idea. I am on record as being a huge fan of Justified. If you're not watching that and love a good Western (set in Kentucky), you're wrong. My wife loves Parenthood, though the season finale was last night, and we also watch Cougartown (gives me an excuse to drink wine with her) which is funny. Love Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Walking Dead as well. Have to admit that our two oldest girls and my wife and I have really gotten into Nashville as well.

Good stuff! Yes, we like Justified and breaking bad too. I have to admit, I hear a lot of good on Mad Men, but we tried the first few episodes and it never really stuck for us. Nashville is one I hadnt considered yet, I'll have to check that out.

Mad Men can take a little while to get in to, but once you like it, you're hooked. It is a REALLY well acted, well-written drama.

If you haven't seen Friday Night Lights, stop what you're doing and go watch that. All five seasons are (I think) available on Netflix.

Good call Mike. SS, if you haven't seen the Wire, you need to watch that.

Love Mindy and New Girl too.

Forgot to add Homeland as well.

Can't recommend The Wire enough. Its the bar that all other TV shows are measured against. Some people don't get it, which is fine, but just know that you're a dummy head if you don't. :D

A show that comes close, IMO, is Breaking Bad. I just finished season 4, and the transformations in that show are incredible. The character journeys/development we go through might even be better than The Wire. If you're not familiar, its about a high school chemistry teacher, who decides to cook meth to support his family once he is diagnosed with cancer. Its an upper-echelon show.

I like Sons of Anarchy, but the last two seasons have been disappointing, IMO. Especially season 4. But its still entertaining.

For comedy, we watch The New Normal (beware, you must have an open mind to watch this show), The Mindy Project, and obviously Modern Family.

Mad Men can take a little while to get in to, but once you like it, you're hooked. It is a REALLY well acted, well-written drama.

Yeah, Mad Men is great TV.

If you haven't seen Friday Night Lights, stop what you're doing and go watch that. All five seasons are (I think) available on Netflix.

Agreed on this, Friday Night Lights is much watch TV. I got hooked and powered through like three seasons in one weekend. So amazing.

Lots a great stuff! (apologies for the lack of individual responses!)

We've enjoyed most of the ones posted already, Friday Night Lights was another we tried but it didnt stick. I'll give that one and Mad Men another shot soon though. I agree with all that the Wire was a good one. I loved that one season where they had the police free zone. I thought it was genius! Isnt the guy that played the boxer also in a key role in the upcoming Walking Dead too?

There were a bunch I havent heard of yet listed and that is great!

Another thing we dont really do anymore are the half hour sitcoms. I just dont have it in me to enjoy the canned laughter much these days. Call it early onset curmudgenism!

Lots a great stuff! (apologies for the lack of individual responses!)

We've enjoyed most of the ones posted already, Friday Night Lights was another we tried but it didnt stick. I'll give that one and Mad Men another shot soon though. I agree with all that the Wire was a good one. I loved that one season where they had the police free zone. I thought it was genius! Isnt the guy that played the boxer also in a key role in the upcoming Walking Dead too?

There were a bunch I havent heard of yet listed and that is great!

Yeah, Cutty is a new character on The Walking Dead. Another great show, but since you listed it I didn't recommend it. Gotta love some zombie slaughter mayhem! LOL.

Yeah, that was Cutty in the Wire.

That police chief, Bunny Colvin in the Wire is now in Nashville, btw. I'm a little ashamed to admit I like Nashville, because it is an evening soap about Country Music, and I don't like Country Music, but it's very entertaining.

Another thing we dont really do anymore are the half hour sitcoms. I just dont have it in me to enjoy the canned laughter much these days. Call it early onset curmudgenism!

Sports Night was a show in the late 90's that I LOVED, they were one of the first to remove the canned laughter. I catch reruns of Friends or Seinfeld every now and again and cringe when I hear the laugh track. Unbearable.

Sports Night was a show in the late 90's that I LOVED, they were one of the first to remove the canned laughter. I catch reruns of Friends or Seinfeld every now and again and cringe when I hear the laugh track. Unbearable.

LOL, Its great to know some shows have dumped it!

They definitely have a laugh track in the earlier episodes; did they remove after the show started? Its the only negative thing about that show.

I am not a big fan of fantasy shows, but Game of Thrones does a great job of mixing in fantasy with Medieval scenery. That and Boardwalk Empire are the only shows left on HBO I can watch.

Showtime has a couple, Homeland is good...I just don't think it is as good as many suggest. And Dexter, which is by no means a "great" TV Show, it is entertaining nonetheless.

My favorite Drama on TV is Boss on the Starz channel. Kelsey Grammar plays the Mayor of Chicago and he is worthy of all the accolades he has received for this role.

I have never seen an episode of SOA, Breaking Bad or Walking Dead.

If you had to pick one of the three, I'd go with Breaking Bad. Truly great show.

A lot of people I know love Boardwalk Empire, but its just too slow for me. I can't get into it.

Is there an echo in here? :D

:censored:

They definitely have a laugh track in the earlier episodes; did they remove after the show started? Its the only negative thing about that show.

Yeah, they had it for about half of the first season, then phased it out after that. It makes a noticable difference. Sorkin is such a great dialouge writer that having the laugh track noticably slowed the delivery at times, it became a much better show without it.

I am not a big fan of fantasy shows, but Game of Thrones does a great job of mixing in fantasy with Medieval scenery. That and Boardwalk Empire are the only shows left on HBO I can watch.

Showtime has a couple, Homeland is good...I just don't think it is as good as many suggest. And Dexter, which is by no means a "great" TV Show, it is entertaining nonetheless.

My favorite Drama on TV is Boss on the Starz channel. Kelsey Grammar plays the Mayor of Chicago and he is worthy of all the accolades he has received for this role.

I have never seen an episode of SOA, Breaking Bad or Walking Dead.

We enjoy GOT and Homeland. We do still watch Dexter, but I personally feel its reached its climax and needs to wrap it up.

SOA, Breaking Bad and Walking Dead are all "Must watch" shows for sure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.