• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

The Best TV Has To Offer

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Obviously inspired by Boone's thread :D

I have to start by saying that none of us will agree on what is good and bad television, but that's reflected in ratings and reviews as well. We all have different tastes. That being said, here are my favorite shows that are still current.

1. House (best show on tv IMO, and has been for a long time)
2. Dexter (If you aren't a fan, you obviously don't have Showtime)
3. Homeland (see reason above)
4. Swamp People
5. Man Up
6. Hell's Kitchen
7. Two And A Half Men
8. Big Bang Theory
9. Raising Hope (Funny as hell and most people have never watched)
10. Hell's Kitchen
11. Kitchen Nightmares
12. American Horror Story (Second best thing on tv IMO)
13. Real Deal
14. Oddities
15. Gold Rush

Damn, you know what's depressing? I watch and enjoy these shows, and I like a lot more than what I listed, but today's tv really sucks compared to what was around 10-15 years ago.

I also think David Letterman puts on a way better show than Leno and always has, and I think Craig Ferguson does a better job than anyone but Carson of all the people who have ever done the late night shows.

Is House really that good? It always struck me as the Dr. Cox character from Scrubs, but more acerbic and without humor. Never watched though.

Is House really that good? It always struck me as the Dr. Cox character from Scrubs, but more acerbic and without humor. Never watched though.
I didn't watch the first 5 seasons of House. I had a bunch of ideas about what the show was, but never watched. Then my wife got hooked, and I started watching it with her and promptly had to catch up from the first episode.

He's a dick, and his humor is very sarcastic, and there is plenty of it. So in that respect, he's a lot like Dr. Cox. Most people that hate the show only hate it because Dr. House is addicted to Vicodin. Anyone that uses that as an excuse not to watch a show is a *****, plain and simple. I know people who say they can't watch a drug addict doctor, but they watch Sons Of Anarchy and Dexter. Wtf?

The thing that makes House so good, is that every episode is something completely different that takes you in multiple different directions to throw you off before it's eventual conclusion. Everything on the show is based in real medical cases, but the characters are completely fabricated. Dr. House is a genius of diagnostic medicine, and the way he eventually comes to a diagnosis is one of the things that makes the show so good.

The fact they have the best character development of just about any show ever put on tv doesn't hurt either. And Olivia Wilde is hot.

House really is that good, you should at least give one episode a peek sometime, it's on multiple channels all throughout the day.

The Wire. </close thread>

My current can't-miss shows are The Walking Dead & Sons of Anarchy, both are awesome.

I think the only show I regularly watch anymore is Leverage. Sure it plays a little fast and loose with reality but it's fun.

I do still occasionally watch Glee (I know I know) but it's gotten really ... gay. I liked it when it was more like a musical version of Freaks and Geeks. Anyway, I think that show's pretty much done.

My favorite show was Men of a Certain Age but TNT in it's infinite wisdom pulled it after two seasons because of low ratings. Sigh. That was the great, great show.

Anyway, I'm pretty much wandering the desert these days. Most nights when I settle in front of the TV I surf the movie channels and end up watching some old movie from the 80s.

Yeah, The Wire is probably the best TV I have ever seen.

Among current TV, Cinemax just produced my favorite...The Boss w/ Kelsey Grammer.
Boardwalk Empire is pretty damn good.

I am also looking forward to HBO's Luck. With the cast and story line, this has the makings of another HBO hit.

I do not watch anything on Network TV except 30 Rock and Two and a Half Men. While I think Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin should just keep their mouths shut, they have an on air chemistry that is awesome. Two and a Half Men is nothing like it was with Charlie Sheen, morally void but hilarious. With Ashton Kutcher they are developing an average TV show, but I continue to watch it.

Sons of Anarchy
Justified
The League
Tosh.0
Game of Thrones

there is a new show coming on Showtime with Don Cheadle that I want to see. I cant think of the name of it though off the top of my head.
I forgot about Tosh.0, one of my favorites. I love when he showed a poster of that douche on MTV that ripped off his show and calls it Ridiculousness, and Tosh changed it to Ripoffulousness :laugh:

I forgot about Tosh.0, one of my favorites. I love when he showed a poster of that douche on MTV that ripped off his show and calls it Ridiculousness, and Tosh changed it to Ripoffulousness :laugh:

Yeah, Tosh was good for a little while but once he had his life coach on, I lost interest. I know the whole "is he or isn't he gay" thing sells for him, but he's gone over the top with it.

The League

Oh man, just got finished watching Seasons 1 and 2 of this show, and it is effing hilarious. Sometimes its dumb, but most of the time its effing hilarious.

"I just have to say, I feel like I just won twice."

there is a new show coming on Showtime with Don Cheadle that I want to see. I cant think of the name of it though off the top of my head.

House of Lies? House of Cards? Something like that...it looks pretty good.

I don't like House. It's no more than Law and Order set in a hospital, with some weird medical ailment replacing the weekly murder.

I've never been a huge fan of House either - its a little too formulaic for me. I do like Law & Order (and other Criminal Minds type shows) though, so go figure.

Castle
Burn Notice
White Collar
Criminal Minds
The Layover
Supernatural
Big Bang Theory - first sitcom I have bothered with since Cheers went off the air

I don't get to watch TV enough to get into any recurring shows any more.

I do miss West Wing though.

And I loved Seinfeld, dammit. It was about nothing. And it ended when it had to. :cool:

Ah, Neo - Burn Notice is good.

That also reminds me of Royal Pains, another good show. Doctor show with a twist.

I guess I am the only one that watches Pass Time on Speedvision. Good show if you're into drag racing. When my son is home we watch it together to see who can come closest to guessing the time for each car. From my couch would have won a number of episodes.

Big Bang Theory - first sitcom I have bothered with since Cheers went off the air

Not even "Everybody Loves Raymond" since Cheers?

Mike, Kenny Powers is funny but so damned stupid! Looking forward to the seeing him take over K-Swiss. :laugh:

My wife likes Arrested Development, but I still can't get into it.

My wife likes Arrested Development, but I still can't get into it.

<cue AD fanboys coming in to tell you why you're wrong>

Oh, yeah. I'm one of those fanboys.

Love that show! Ridiculously good, at least 5 years ahead of its time.

<cue AD fanboys coming in to tell you why you're wrong>

OK, Extr...er...umm..I mean Goal! :laugh:

Look, the show has made me laugh, but the whole dynamic is just a little too ridiculous for me. But I liked it when Kenny Powers hit his foe in the face with a baseball pitch and knocked his eye out. So...

Not even "Everybody Loves Raymond" since Cheers?

and neo, not one show since cheers? thats pretty impressive.

I used to catch the occasional episode of Sienfield or Friends but as far as watching a sitcom regularly? No. Cheers and before that M*A*S*H. Those two shows are the bar I measure sitcoms by and The Big Bang Theory is the only one I have liked enough to watch regularly since.

I have hopes for Last Man Standing and am giving it a try but time will tell.

It is also possible I am just not big on sitcoms though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.