• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Thanksgiving Side Dish Ideas

Nobody

Super Bowl MVP
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
I'm tired of cooking the same thing every year. I want to do something different, but I'm stumped for ideas. I usually do collards, rolls, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mac and cheese and sausage balls. This year, I want to change it up. The problem is, every site I go on for ideas has 80 variations of these same dishes. Does anyone have something else they usually do that's awesome?

I'm tired of cooking the same thing every year. I want to do something different, but I'm stumped for ideas. I usually do collards, rolls, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, mac and cheese and sausage balls. This year, I want to change it up. The problem is, every site I go on for ideas has 80 variations of these same dishes. Does anyone have something else they usually do that's awesome?

Stuffed mushrooms. Get the big white ones, remove the stems (save some of them) and clean our cavity with a spoon. Mix up some chopped garlic, sautéed onion, some fresh chopped herbs, chopped artichoke hearts, toss in some capers, and some crumbled goat cheese. Add some breadcrumbs and butter or a little olive oil and mix and stuff mushrooms. I grill them but you can bake them as well. Big hit at our holiday gatherings.

You're gonna make me cry. I'll explain why. Up until a year ago, I was the biggest mushroom addict in the world. It didn't matter what kind, I ate them all, and made some awesome dishes with them. I couldn't get enough. Then about a year ago, I was eating an awesome dish I made with wild rice, oyster mushrooms, lemons, lentils and garlic. One bite I took, and it nearly killed me. I thought I was having a heart attack, and I was rushed to the hospital, where they said I was experiencing a severe allergic reaction. To what, they didn't know.

A few months passed, and I sat down to eat with my father in law and family at P.F. Chang. My dinner came, I took one bite, and ended up in the hospital. Allergic reaction. The only thing those two meals had in common? Mushrooms. It seems, even though I have eaten them in excess my entire life, I had somehow suddenly developed a severe allergy to mushrooms. My doctor says he's never heard of such a thing, it's not a normal food to develop an allergy to. It's so bad, that if I go into an Italian restaurant, my face gets hot and sweats, and starts swelling. Just from being there.

So I avoid them like the plague and miss them dearly :(

Get the big white ones, remove the stems (save some of them) and clean our cavity with a spoon.

Whoa whoa whoa...watch what you're doing with that spoon to the big white ones!!

My sister made a tasty, savory sweet potato hash one year and it was great. It was definitely a different twist with sweet potatoes and a unique dish for sure.

Could go with shepherds pie. J/K I hate that **** and still pissed the chow hall served that yesterday instead of steak.

If you're a potato fan you can never go wrong with garlic/mashed....can't get enough of them.

May not agree but something you could try instead of rolls is non bread with hummus, or some other kind of dip. I personally like a hot curry/Indian style myself.

Noshtopia: 10 Ideas for Non-Bread Goodies to Eat with Hummus or Spinach Dip

Couple more good ones

http://www.foodferret.com/recipe/bread-dip

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.