You're gonna make me cry. I'll explain why. Up until a year ago, I was the biggest mushroom addict in the world. It didn't matter what kind, I ate them all, and made some awesome dishes with them. I couldn't get enough. Then about a year ago, I was eating an awesome dish I made with wild rice, oyster mushrooms, lemons, lentils and garlic. One bite I took, and it nearly killed me. I thought I was having a heart attack, and I was rushed to the hospital, where they said I was experiencing a severe allergic reaction. To what, they didn't know.
A few months passed, and I sat down to eat with my father in law and family at P.F. Chang. My dinner came, I took one bite, and ended up in the hospital. Allergic reaction. The only thing those two meals had in common? Mushrooms. It seems, even though I have eaten them in excess my entire life, I had somehow suddenly developed a severe allergy to mushrooms. My doctor says he's never heard of such a thing, it's not a normal food to develop an allergy to. It's so bad, that if I go into an Italian restaurant, my face gets hot and sweats, and starts swelling. Just from being there.
So I avoid them like the plague and miss them dearly