• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Thank You Clinton Portis

Bulldog

The All-Time Great
Reaction score
Here you have a new head coach and GM coming in the door to evaluate the team and only an idiot would go on the radio and run down his quarterback in full view putting a target on his back.

But that's Clinton Portis, a player that still believes he can live by another set of rules.

Imagine the shock on Allen's face hearing about Portis' toxic behavior.

If this guy wasn't done already here I think he closed the deal yesterday.

If you are looking at creating any kind of chemistry and cohesion for 2010 as Shanahan must be, the imperative to jettison #26 just became stronger.

But then again nobody in Washington knows as much about Portis as Shanahan who drafted him in Denver.

My own feeling is that Portis probably knows with an uncapped year he is done in DC and is laying the ground work for one of those 'they blamed me and made me an outcast' defenses.

Joe Theismann said it best when he indicated that in his opinion Portis is close to the end physically and may never be a regular starter again in the NFL and he knows that but hasn't come to grips with it yet.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

I will say - this will be an excellent litmus test to see exactly how much power Snyder still wields, because if Portis stays, the ONLY reason will be because Snyder made it so.

A here I thought this was going to be a for real "Thank you CP for all you've done" thread.

Had me worried for a sec BD:laugh:

A thank you for sowing discord? :)

Did anyone really want to see Portis pass Riggins on the franchise rushing list?

The more I look at the two the more similarity I see between Portis and Gilbert Arenas.

Athletes who put up some numbers but don't win anything and then blame their teammates for everything that goes wrong.

I suppose that's one reason the Redskins were 4-12 and the Wizards were 10-20 to start the season.

Meanwhile, the Caps with a 'real' captain in Alex Ovechkin are in position to win their third straight division title and compete for a championship.

I think the writing is clearly on the wall.

Don't even think about what Shanahan said about Portis and Campbell, just look at the body language.

When he discussed Campbell, he was loose and moved fluidly with hand gestures.

As soon as Portis came up, Shanahan stiffened and the look on his face spoke volumes about what he thinks of CP.

i noticed that too walking dead.
writing is on the wall.

As soon as Portis came up, Shanahan stiffened and the look on his face spoke volumes about what he thinks of CP.

He originally shipped Portis to DC because of the same issues he is displaying here - attention whore diva syndrome. Shanny don't play that!

While possibly the best blitzer-picker-upper (thanks Bounty!) in the game, he just doesn't offer enough in the running game anymore to justify his huge salary. He's become, dare I say it, an average back.

If Mike decides to keep him around, on a VERY short leash I'm sure, then it's either because he wants him to earn part of that guaranteed contract or he thinks Clinton can still excel at the old cutback running game the Broncos ran.

Personally, I'm pretty certain Mike wants to take back the locker room and set the tone early. While he could use Clinton as an example to show the rest of the team how miserable he can make them when they spout off or play diva, I think he sets the tone from the get-go and sends him packing.

Parcells always cuts a tenured veteran who thinks he owns the locker room when he arrives with a new team to set a tone.

Expect Shanahan to do the same thing here.

Portis needs to go.

And someone in the organization needs to tell Albert Haynesworth to show up for camp in shape and ready to go.

Mike, he has thrown everyone and anyone under the bus, not just Campbell. And no, I don't remember anyone questioning Campbell's toughness or leadership, just his ability to hold onto the ball and play QB in the NFL. :)

Riggins is not on the team. I am not on the team. We are fans - its our job to BS about our thoughts on the team. Team MEMBERS aren't supposed to throw each other under the bus. You know another guy that does that? Terrell Owens.

Seriously Mike? You honestly can't tell me you don't understand the difference between me and Riggo commenting, and Portis commenting. Have you ever been a part of a sports team? I'm honestly asking, not trying to be snarky or anything.

Portis is Campbell's teammate, that's the difference Mike. If you can't see how teammates aren't supposed to throw each other under the bus, then yes, there's nothing I can say to change your mind, so I'll stop.

Portis knows what is really going on the sidelines, Riggo dont.

Actually, according to his teammates, he didn't cause he wasn't there. He didn't practice, he barely watched the games and if he did, he was only on the sidelines for part of it. So no, Portis doesn't know what's going on anymore than Riggo or I do.

how did I know you'd be the first person to comment? lol

you've questioned sellers blocking too. you've talked about zorn too. you've talked about campbell's leadership if Im not mistaken. "He isnt fast enough, smart enough, cant do the job"...that all leads people to think you dont like his leadership skills.

Im just saying Riggins says the SAME thing and we all laugh like its so funny but when Portis does it somehow it is a curse and he is horrible for it.

Apples and Oranges. Like Lanky said, Riggins isn't trashing his own teammates. Nor did he ever. In the 82 or 83 playoff run (I can't remember which) Riggins laid in traction all week every week during the playoff run so he could play on Sunday.

Seen that kind of dedication from Portis?

Nope.

He got his clock rung, packed up his mangina and took the rest of the year off

Apples and Oranges. Like Lanky said, Riggins isn't trashing his own teammates. Nor did he ever. In the 82 or 83 playoff run (I can't remember which) Riggins laid in traction all week every week during the playoff run so he could play on Sunday.

Seen that kind of dedication from Portis?

Nope.

Excellent point - Riggins paid his dues for the Redskins, he can pretty much say whatever he wants with impunity.

He got his clock rung, packed up his mangina and took the rest of the year off

According to some reports, he had barely practiced all year, before the concussion!

lol...of course Portis didnt do anything at all for the skins. he signed and went straight to the sidelines. you guys are intentionally being blind and now just leaving stuff out so you can make your point. Portis has done plenty for this team and if you dont see it then thats a problem for you.

mangina? How many concussions have you guys had? How many times have you had your head hit by two guys at the same time?

I cant believe you are defending Portis for not only throwing his teammates under the bus, but also for not practicing this year and not being around the team or participating like he needs to be.

It doesnt matter what he did for this team in the past, what matters now is the negative effect he is having on the team at this point.

A person in the media talking about players on a team is completely different than a teammate saying something. Interesting how you seem to be ignoring what teammates are saying about Portis, but defend what Portis is saying.

Portis is a cancer, period, and it's time for the bastard to hightail it out of town! His teammates hate him, and he's negatively affecting the team in every way. He brings nothing to the table anymore that's positive.

Mike, I am willing to say that Clinton Portis played a pivotal role in the first playoff run in 05, but by the time the playoffs came around he was too beat up to have much of an affect.

He was a huge part of the second Gibbs II playoff run as well.

Since, he has had one good season and caused a lot of headache for the team. Mike, he is no longer the team player you admire for his hard work, he has become a cancer that infects the team.

I have had a serious concussion in my playing days. I ran into a goal post and was damn near out. A week later I was right back on the field only to get kicked in the mouth. The following week I was right back on the field. I am not talking about professional football here so I cannot transfer that onto Clinton Portis, but come on, he was placed on IR for the same injury that Michael Westbrook had and Westbrook came back to play. I would say that Westbrook's injury looked a lot worse!

Once again, I applaud your loyalty, but Clinton Portis is not the team hero many of us once saw as he ran for almost 1500 yards as a Redskin. He has become something completely different.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.