• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sproles released... Fit for us?

SilentThreat

Ring of Fame
Staff member
BGO Ownership Group
Reaction score
Before you bite my head off hear me out. Gruden has shown the ability to take advantage of defenses with an RB out of the backfield (see Giovanni Bernard). We have our 'starting' tailback in Alfred Morris, but he's not exceptional out of the backfield to say the least. Helu has shown flashes, but I'm just not sold... yet. I know we have other holes to address, trust me... I get it. Sproles was set to make $3.5 mil this coming season, and at that number I nknow we cannot afford him but if we can get him closer to $1.5 a year, do we make a move? He's got gamebreaking ability with the ball in his hands, and he could dynamically change our screen game.

Huge Sproles fan here, I would love to have him for the right price. Not sure 1.5 is realistic, but for the sake of argument, I would have no problem with that acquisition at all.

If Gruden is as dynamic as some have said :))) I'd love to see some packages with both Alfred and Sproles together in the backfield, with Griff running the Pistol.

Gimme a minute while my heartbeat calms down.

Sproles is incredibly dynamic and versatile. If we could then turn Helu into a 5th or 6th? Yes please.

But again, I'm not sure 1.5 is realistic. :(

Huge Sproles fan here, I would love to have him for the right price. Not sure 1.5 is realistic, but for the sake of argument, I would have no problem with that acquisition at all.

If Gruden is as dynamic as some have said :))) I'd love to see some packages with both Alfred and Sproles together in the backfield, with Griff running the Pistol.

Gimme a minute while my heartbeat calms down.

Sproles is incredibly dynamic and versatile. If we could then turn Helu into a 5th or 6th? Yes please.

But again, I'm not sure 1.5 is realistic. :(

I would tend to agree if he was 3 inches taller and 20 lbs heavier. He's a scheme back. You cant plug him in anywhere and expect him to be effective.... at least that's my opinion.

I'd love this signing. Not just for what he can do as a RB, but our return game would be improved tenfold. That guy is a dangerous returner.

For sure on Sproles! He can also return kicks.

I do think Alf is better out of the backfield then he gets credit for, the Shamahans just didn't use him that way.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I think 2.2 million will be around what he commands on the market for a 31 year old, where did I come up with that number, that'd be 6.6 million for 3 years with 3 million guaranteed. But again where did I come up with that, I have no basis just gut feeling.

I'm with the gang here, would love to have dynamic abilities here but he'd be a luxury at this point and not a necessity so if we got him round 1.5, I'd be ok but quite frankly much above, I'm out.

Not a fan of Chris Russell, but maybe he does in fact have a brain. From twitter:

There aren't many cut free agents that I would pursue with intensity, but Darren Sproles is the top one for #Redskins. A major need in "O"

--Chris Russell

I think it would be great if we could afford him, especially for the return game. We have not had a legit returner in forever. That would be nice for a change!

yes..3.5 mil

thanks Mike.

so this isn't performance related. We're looking for a change of pace back. FO ought to at least research the cost/ben trade-offs IMO.

apologies Ry! but talent-wise I believe the Skins remain at a stage where we need to at least consider every option. not saying he's a must sign. saying the FO ought to assess the pros and cons.

not stirring the pot, but can I ask why you're so against it?

If I may, Sproles is 31 years old. He still seems to have a step and could probably give us a couple decent seasons as a change of pace back and return man.

But the way these guys have been turning up around the league through mid-level draft picks, I would be fine seeing what the draft holds in rounds 4 or 5.

If I may, Sproles is 31 years old. He still seems to have a step and could probably give us a couple decent seasons as a change of pace back and return man.

But the way these guys have been turning up around the league through mid-level draft picks, I would be fine seeing what the draft holds in rounds 4 or 5.

You really want to spend a pick that we are short of on a potential player, or if we can get Sproles on the 'cheap' who's a proven back with experience? I dont want to sell the farm on him at all... it's not a position of 'need' but given what Gruden did with Giovanni Bernard, Sproles could be a BIG part of the success of the offense.

We've lost A LOT of our vet presence, having a guy who's been around might not hurt either.

You really want to spend a pick that we are short of on a potential player, or if we can get Sproles on the 'cheap' who's a proven back with experience? I dont want to sell the farm on him at all... it's not a position of 'need' but given what Gruden did with Giovanni Bernard, Sproles could be a BIG part of the success of the offense.

We've lost A LOT of our vet presence, having a guy who's been around might not hurt either.

Just playing devil's advocate. I think we have the answer to 3rd down back on the team. I think Helu is more than capable. He had a few drops last year that seemed like he simply lost focus. However, we do need a return man. Is Sproles willing to assume return duties? Will he come at the right price? Is he going to last a whole season? He's smaller and older and that doesn't make for longevity in the NFL at that position.

I am not completely opposed to Sproles, I just don't see the need for him unless he assumes return duties as well...at the right price. That is a position I think draft should address if we're truly looking for a 3rd down back, change of pace guy. I think I would rather have Dexter McCluster for the right price if that's the case, he lined up in the slot for KC too.

Sproles did seem to have lost a step last season, and didn't show the burst that made him the dynamic player of a few years ago. 30-31 tends to be the magic number for RBs as to when they fall off...

Just playing devil's advocate. I think we have the answer to 3rd down back on the team. I think Helu is more than capable. He had a few drops last year that seemed like he simply lost focus. However, we do need a return man. Is Sproles willing to assume return duties? Will he come at the right price? Is he going to last a whole season? He's smaller and older and that doesn't make for longevity in the NFL at that position.

I am not completely opposed to Sproles, I just don't see the need for him unless he assumes return duties as well...at the right price. That is a position I think draft should address if we're truly looking for a 3rd down back, change of pace guy. I think I would rather have Dexter McCluster for the right price if that's the case, he lined up in the slot for KC too.

Oh I know, and I'm just presenting the other side. I'm not 100% on him and my concern would be the return game. If he's willing to return the ball, and be a change of pace guy, he could be a good fit for us. That being said, I'm not there so I cant see his burst, and if it's fallen off enough, you're right... it's not a position of 'need.'

Helu's Achilles are a concern...

A concern to whom? He just had a very productive season as a #2 RB. There seemed to be no effects of his previous injuries this past season. He had tremendous burst.

A concern to whom? He just had a very productive season as a #2 RB. There seemed to be no effects of his previous injuries this past season. He had tremendous burst.

To him, primarily. His family, then Redskins coaches, and then Redskins fans. In that order.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.