• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sportsrageous via ESPN: NFL to consider hiring female officials

Jugband McGillicuddy

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Rival Allegiance
Alma Mater
Marshall
http://www.sportsrageous.com/nfl-considering-hiring-female-officials-08-13-2011

NFL V.P. of Officiating Carl Johnson told Jane McManus of ESPN.com that he expects to hire a female official for the league.

Though Johnson doesn’t publicly evaluate potential referees he stated that several women are currently under consideration to be hired, and that he expects to hire one to officiate in the NFL. “We have some in our pipeline, and I expect we’ll see it soon,” Johnson said.

Well, this oughta be a fun little discussion. :)

A natural progression. If there are women out there who love NFL football, are students of the game, and who wish to pursue the ultimate job - more power to them. As long as they've done their time in the ranks, like every other male official who is 'qualified' to be one of the chosen few at that level, and there's none of the ridiculous 'leveling of the playing field' stuff going on, I have no problem with it.

I just don't want to see (or experience as a fan) inexperienced female officials out there, as part of some affirmative action program. Otherwise, go for it.

A natural progression. If there are women out there who love NFL football, are students of the game, and who wish to pursue the ultimate job - more power to them. As long as they've done their time in the ranks, like every other male official who is 'qualified' to be one of the chosen few at that level, and there's none of the ridiculous 'leveling of the playing field' stuff going on, I have no problem with it.

I just don't want to see (or experience as a fan) inexperienced female officials out there, as part of some affirmative action program. Otherwise, go for it.

I also don't want to see a female umpire get destroyed between two linebackers and a running back.

It just seems Rooney-rulish to me. I mean, is it not OK as a society to say that we're different in some regards, therefore each better suited for certain jobs sometimes? I'm not talking glass ceilings here; not by any stretch. But there's a reason not many women are brick layers or roofers.

I think you may be off-base on that front though HH. Have you seen the average NFL ref? They're old men - older than I am in a lot of cases. And truthfully, having taken a shot on the sidelines from an NFL safety at full-speed, I can honestly say, it wouldn't matter if you were a male in the best shape of your life, or a female 50 lbs lighter, it's going to rock your world.

Given that the average male NFL ref is hardly a poster-child for fitness, I think that's a straw man (pun intended) argument.

No reason a woman, reasonably fit and, more importantly knowledgeable as hell, can't do that job.

Given that the average male NFL ref is hardly a poster-child for fitness, I think that's a straw man (pun intended) argument.

No reason a woman, reasonably fit and, more importantly knowledgeable as hell, can't do that job.

Hmm.

I'd agree, but you kind of left out one thing. Why are NFL refs older? It takes them a LONG time to get to the league. If all things are equal (and I suspect they won't be) then we're talking women of the same age.

Which, of course, means I'm still right. :cool4:

Boone, you've alluded to this sideline hit a couple of times lately, but I am not familiar with the story. Can you share?

As to the topic at hand, I would think that within the next 5 years there are going to be some serious changes with how officials are on the field anyway, largely due to the concussion issue, that a true genius outlined here. :)

I think as focus changes from just the players to include the refs as well, changes will be made, and frankly, the gender of the refs won't matter as much.

I clearly acknowledged that female refs should have the same experience expectations and job qualifications as male counterparts. I doubt any of us would disagree. So I'm not sure what your point is.

If a woman can do the job, and has the credentials, it's an easy conversation. If she doesn't, it's misguided political correctness. That's my opinion.

I clearly acknowledged that female refs should have the same experience expectations and job qualifications as male counterparts. I doubt any of us would disagree. So I'm not sure what your point is.

If a woman can do the job, and has the credentials, it's an easy conversation. If she doesn't, it's misguided political correctness. That's my opinion.

Here's where I disagree:

Boone said:
it wouldn't matter if you were a male in the best shape of your life, or a female 50 lbs lighter, it's going to rock your world.

Let's say I take a shot from LaRon. And, my grandma takes a shot from LaRon. (Gross exaggeration to make a point.) We're both gonna get f'ed up. Badly. But she'd be far more f'ed up than I would.

I guess what I'm saying is that there are degrees of having one's world rocked. And generally speaking, the woman's is going to be rocked harder. (So filthy out of context. lol.)

In principle, I agree with you, BTW. But if your idea happens, it would be 50+ year old women who needed the same experience to get there. I don't want to see 50+ year old women as umpires. I just don't. It's not politically correct, I know. But that's where I stand.

Also, I once took a shot from Stanley Richard on an NFL sideline. He went down, and I didn't. :)

Boone, you've alluded to this sideline hit a couple of times lately, but I am not familiar with the story. Can you share?

Pretty simple story. Covering the mid-November home game against the Oakland Raiders in 2005 (this was Norv's 'homecoming' game) for Extremeskins per usual. I was an old-pro on the sidelines by this point and guess I'd gotten complacent. I was standing on the sidelines taking pictures, Brunell and the Skins offense were driving down the field. I had a great shot, zoomed in on Brunell as he threw it to the reciever who was running his route directly at me. It was perfect, Brunell sharply focused, ball in the air, and WR about to catch it all in the same frame.

I got the shot. It's likely somewhere in the Extremeskins archives somewhere.

The rest is a blur.

Camera still to my eye, I heard this pounding drum-like sound I later realized was the Oakland safety chasing the WR receiver out of bounds at full speed. I was right next to the official with the down marker. I remember him jumping suddenly to the left, and then I was hit by a truck.

The official had jumped out of the way because the Raiders safety was about to knock him the hell out. Instead, he hit me at full speed.

I 'came to' about 10 feet away, on my ass, with a couple of Redskins reserves asking me if I was okay. The safety had run right through me, forearm to the forehead. Funniest thing is, I had this remnant of a cord around my neck - and I eventually realized that it was part of the lanyard for the digital audio recorder that only moments before had been hanging from it around my neck and was now 50 feet away. It looked like shark week when the great white steals the bait.

I'm pretty sure I had a full-blown concussion ...as I kind of sleep-walked through the rest of the game/assignment. When I got home that night, my 12 year old daughter asked what was wrong with my face. I told her.

'Cool!' she said.

Almost made it worth it, but the headache I had for 2-3 days was something.

First thing I did after I got home that night? Checked the dvr to make sure the game tape hadn't recorded me getting wiped out. That was my biggest concern :)

Bottom line - you really can't appreciate how violent the game really is, how truly big and powerful the players who make it to NFL football at this level are, until you take a hit like that. Wow.

It was hard to keep the camera up to my eye during plays after that. Far as I know, I'm the only fan coverage guy that's gotten laid out during a game, although I think Murf has come close on a couple of occasions.

Btw...we lost to the ****ing Raiders that day, that I DO remember, one of the most painful days in an otherwise refreshingly great season.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.