• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So Who Wins Roy?

Who Wins ROY?

• Total voters

McD5

The Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Alma Mater
Florida State
I was hoping RG3. But Luck may have wrapped it up today, breaking some all-time records.

He broke Cam's rookie record for most yards passing today, and also just broke another with seven fourth quarter comebacks--the most ever for a rookie.

RG3 is incredible. But does Luck have him beat for ROY?

Last edited:
It's gonna come down to next week. Right now, in my mind, it's 1) Griff, 2) Wilson and 3) Luck. The fact that Griff only has 5 INTs is stunning for a rookie, that's what does it for me, personally.

It should be Griff, and it's not just my immense homerism saying that. Luck has done what he has done by throwing the ball 40-50 times a game. To me, that's like Aaron bragging about hitting slightly more HR than Ruth but taking 4,000 more at bats to do it. It severely waters down his accomplishments. When you also factor in his pathetic completion percentage, and the fact he is leading the league in INT and Griffin has the fewest among regular starters, it should be a lock.

But, the voters being the assholes they are, they spent the last 2 years hyping Luck. He could have failed miserably and they'd give it to him just to be able to say they were right.

RG3 is incredible.

Wilson was easily the best value, being taken in the third round. And he's a beast.

But Luck? He has both of the other guys by 1,000 yards, and has last year's worst team in the playoffs. That's hard to vote against.

Last year, the Colts sucked for Luck. The year before they were Supernowl contenders. So, while I give him some credit for the turnaround I give him a little less than the 'skins who were a multi ten loss team and played without a defense most of the year.

Griffin's achievements this year impresses me more esp considering coming back from 3-6 to do it.

It should be Griff, and it's not just my immense homerism saying that. Luck has done what he has done by throwing the ball 40-50 times a game. To me, that's like Aaron bragging about hitting slightly more HR than Ruth but taking 4,000 more at bats to do it. It severely waters down his accomplishments. When you also factor in his pathetic completion percentage, and the fact he is leading the league in INT and Griffin has the fewest among regular starters, it should be a lock.

While I agree with this, it doesn't matter to those who are voting. They see records broken and they get stars in their eyes. If Seattle ends up winning their division...long shot I know...Russell Wilson could end up with the award. Quick question about Wilson, he runs a lot! Why doesn't anyone seem to talk about how long he will last in this league, especially since he's smaller than Griffin?

I think Griffin's injury and missing a game has affected his chances coupled with the fact that I don't think he's thrown the ball more than 30 times all season...

Oh and McD5, the 7 "comeback" victories is not accurate. They were not down in some of those games...in fact, yesterday they were tied going into the 4th and Indy never trailed in the game. Of the 7, only 4 are actually late game heroics where he won it on the last minute. Stats be damned, that is the stat that impresses me about Luck. In his rookie campaign he has won the game in the final minute of the game 4 times, but they make it look better by saying 4th quarter victory which makes it 7.

Last year, the Colts sucked for Luck. The year before they were Supernowl contenders. So, while I give him some credit for the turnaround I give him a little less than the 'skins who were a multi ten loss team and played without a defense most of the year.

This is a foolish notion as well, the Colts have 8 new starters on offense from last year and 7 new starters on defense from last year. That is not the same team that nearly went to the SB 2 years ago.

My heart says RG3. My head says Luck will win ROY. If had a vote...it would be Alfred Morris. With what he has done he should be in the discussion.

Who cares?

NFC East Division Champion is all that matters.

ROY is worthless.

RG3 does have more of the sizzle factor, with more tv commercials and jersey sales. So that may help some.

I think the combination of Griffin missing last week, Cousins playing well in his absence, and Griffin not having a great game this week looking a little hobbled is going to mean Luck. There's still a week to play, and I admittedly haven't watched Luck play once this season so I'm basing that on what everyone else says.

That said I agree with Ax - ROY was a consolation prize for me that was nice to hope to win for a team that was still trying to make itself competitive.

Now that the division title and a home playoff game are on the line I could give two ****s about ROY.

I think an argument could be made for all three. I don't think that has ever happened before. All three teams were cellar dwellers last season. Colts had the easiest schedule but I don't put a lot into that. Rg3 missed a game and bit more in 2 games.
I think it comes down to the final game for all three.
Certainly winning a division would carry some extra weight. If Skins win next week and clinch the division. I see it being a race between RG3 and Luck. I think the Colts have already clinched.
So whats more impressive the 1000 yard passing advantage or the significant advantage in turnovers? Both guys are playing through games with sub par defenses.I think the last 8 games (with a victory next week) of the season gets RG3 the nod.
Its quite impressive by anyone's standard if one looks at what the Skins have had to accomplish since the bye week to be leading this division.:xmas::grouphug::thewave::cheers::allhail:

I think its neck and neck btw Griffin and Wilson, with Luck a distant third. Griffin will get the nod because Seattle's D is way better.
Posted via BGO Mobile Device

Here is the thing for me.

Luck has gaudy numbers. He really does. And those 4 4th qtr comebacks are impressive. However, those 4 4th qtr comebacks were necessary because of Luck's bad play earlier in the game. He dug those holes himself.

Griff hasn't been digging any holes. He has been the key to this offense all season (unlike Wilson who is playing well in Marshawn Lynch's offense) and he has played every game looking like more than the rookie he is (unlike Luck).

I don't think I could say it any better, Neo. Luck on paper looks amazing, but I have watched a couple of his games, and his first three Q's have often been very mediocre and rookie-like. Griff on the other hand isn't being asked to do as much at the end of the game because he has led us to earlier leads. He should be penalized for that?

Wilson is much more intriguing to me, and has looked terrifically good the past three games. However, as Neo said, that offense is predicated around Lynch, and as Lanky pointed out their D is superb. What is being missed is how tremendous their special teams are as well, so much so that their D and STs are doing a lot of the scoring the last three weeks, or giving the offense a very short field to work with.

When we beat Dallas this weekend, the division is ours, and I think that will clinch it for Griff.

I'll be curious to see if Griffin's impact on the team/fans/area is considered at all... That's an intangible that can't be measured on a stat sheet, yet I don't think there's a person in the country that watches football that isn't aware of the impact he's had.

Here is the thing for me.

Luck has gaudy numbers. He really does. And those 4 4th qtr comebacks are impressive. However, those 4 4th qtr comebacks were necessary because of Luck's bad play earlier in the game. He dug those holes himself.

Griff hasn't been digging any holes. He has been the key to this offense all season (unlike Wilson who is playing well in Marshawn Lynch's offense) and he has played every game looking like more than the rookie he is (unlike Luck).

I agree with this and think that if Griffin and the Redskins win Sunday night, he gets it. I just think those who clamor against Luck are acting like homers. He has done some impressive things that far exceed the rookie mistakes he's made.

I agree with this and think that if Griffin and the Redskins win Sunday night, he gets it. I just think those who clamor against Luck are acting like homers. He has done some impressive things that far exceed the rookie mistakes he's made.

I actually do think his impressive things need to be discounted, for the fact that HE was the one put them into that position with his atrocious INTs. The problem I have with the Luck apologists is that they refuse to give credit to Griff for putting his team in a position where he does NOT have to come back, while also giving all the credit in the world to Luck for his comebacks.

Go take a survey of NFL coaches and GMs, and ask them if they'd want the guy who is mediocre for three quarter and then pull the game out at the end, or the guy who plays great from the get go, gets a lead and helps his team maintain that lead for the W.

This really isn't that difficult of a decision.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.