• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So many Earthquakes????So...?

CarolinaSkin43

The 1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Is it me or over the past 5 months there have been a lot of Earthquakes...today Baja, Ca 7.2,...what does this mean ? Kinda of scary if you ask me... just might be me but sure seems like something is going on with the earths crust or core...:insane:

It's called plate tectonics-stress relief sometimes occurs in multiple quakes along a plate boundary in a relatively short period of time.

It's called plate tectonics-stress relief sometimes occurs in multiple quakes along a plate boundary in a relatively short period of time.

What's been unusual is how strong they are. They also tend to move around the Pacific ring of fire and they seem to be moving north. That means...... Holy **** :eek:

What's been unusual is how strong they are. They also tend to move around the Pacific ring of fire and they seem to be moving north. That means...... Holy **** :eek:

Alaskan, just out of curiosity, how far is Anchorage from Mt. Redoubt? It it still spewing, and can you see it or any of the plume from Anchorage? Just wonderin'.

It's about 110 miles from Anchorage and on a clear day I can see it from my house which is up on the hillside in South Anchorage, We also can see Mount Spurr, another active volcano that erupted in 1992, dropping a lot of ash on Anchorage. We also got a little last year when Dedoubt errupted but the ash cloud largely missed Anchorage.

Last night ABC News talked to a seismologist and posed the question about the seemingly unusual earthquake activity of late. She answered that 2010 is actually right in line with projections--there are an average of 17 7.0+ quakes a year around the world, and with the Mexico quake we've had four so far this year and are right on track. The difference this year is they've been in populated areas and made mega headlines.

just seems to me that there is more activity...but i'll leave the statistics to the scientist...

Sumatra, April 6, 2010 (7.8)
Baja, April 04, 2010 (7.2)
East Sea of Japan, March 14, 2010 (5.6)
Indonesia, March 14, 2010 (6.4)
Chile, March 11, 2010 (6.9)
Turkey, March 8, 2010 (6.0)
Sumatra, March 5, 2010 (6.5)
Taiwan, March 4, 2010 (6.4)
Argantina, February 27, 2010 (6.1)
Chile, February 27, 2010 (8.8)
Japan, February 26, 2010 (7.0)
Hati, January 12, 2010 (7.0)

That's averaging about 1 a week for the year. Seems like a lot to me.

We had a 4.7 today. Kind of noisy and then one sharp jolt. The trouble is that when they start you don't know if it's going to be nothing or the big one.

It was centered right near Wasilla, Alaska so I assume it was just Todd Palin catching some air on his snow machine again. I hate it when he does that.

Now one (a 6.2) in Spain. Spain? Really? We're all doomed.

Earthquake hits southern Spain; damage said unlikely

(CNN) -- A strong earthquake struck near the Spanish city of Granada early Monday, but at a depth that made damage to the medieval Moorish capital unlikely, the U.S. Geological Survey reported.

The magnitude 6.2 earthquake struck at 12:08 a.m. local time Monday (6:08 p.m. Sunday ET), the USGS reported.

Click on the link for the full article

A meterologist here on the east coast is an amateur geologist and has talked of how these earthquakes have been inter-related during recent years. A lot of his predictions have been fairly accurate.

He has been talking of how this current setup could cause a significant SoCal earthquake within the next sixty to ninety days. I hope not, but his predictions should not be taken lightly.

Sumatra, April 6, 2010 (7.8)
Baja, April 04, 2010 (7.2)
East Sea of Japan, March 14, 2010 (5.6)
Indonesia, March 14, 2010 (6.4)
Chile, March 11, 2010 (6.9)
Turkey, March 8, 2010 (6.0)
Sumatra, March 5, 2010 (6.5)
Taiwan, March 4, 2010 (6.4)
Argantina, February 27, 2010 (6.1)
Chile, February 27, 2010 (8.8)
Japan, February 26, 2010 (7.0)
Hati, January 12, 2010 (7.0)

That's averaging about 1 a week for the year. Seems like a lot to me.
"Just" four over 7.0 however, which is the line of demarcation that seems to get teh professionals excited. As to how this this list compares to any other year ... we'd have to go to the videotape and compare to previous years. If anyone has it at hand ...

Hey. I'm eating lunch here.

Did stumble on this link a minute ago though, which is cool in a "whoa" kinda way:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/quakes_all.php

This list contains all earthquakes with magnitude greater than 2.5 located by the USGS and contributing networks in the last week (168 hours). Magnitudes 4.5 and above are in bold font. Magnitudes 6 and above are in red. (Some early events may be obscured by later ones on the maps.)

The most recent earthquakes are at the top of the list. Times are in Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). Click on the word "map" to see a ten-degree tall map displaying the earthquake. Click on an event's "DATE" to get a detailed report...
That's a long list.

Have there really been more, or are they just more prevalent in the news?

we're all doomed, btw =P

Gotta love vBulletin. Check out the "Similar Threads" listing at the bottom of the page. :cool:

Apparently, there aren't more earthquakes this year than usual.

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/topics/increase_in_earthquakes.php

Here are the earthquake stats for this year:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/eqarchives/year/eqstats.php

Although, as I noted elsewhere, the USGS site states that the average for earthquakes of 7-7.9 magnitude is 17 per year. However, they also list the number of quakes for each magnitude range for the last ten years. The average of the 7-7.9 over the last ten years is only 13.1. That's 4 fewer per year over the last ten years. Either the earth is in a down cycle for large magnitude quakes, or their historical data (from 1900) on which they base their average, is erroneous. Which may be the case since the Richter scale wasn't developed until 1935 and seismographs weren't as prevalent at the beginning of the 20th century, so some of the early large quakes were probably estimated as being larger than they actually were.

I see they just keep coming. Several in China. At least one was 7.1.

Quake in western China kills 400, buries more

BEIJING – A series of strong earthquakes struck a mountainous Tibetan area of western China on Wednesday, killing at least 400 people and injuring more than 10,000 as houses made of mud and wood collapsed, officials said. Many more people were trapped and the toll was expected to rise.

The largest quake was recorded by the U.S. Geological Survey as magnitude 6.9. In the aftermath, panicked people, many bleeding from their wounds, flooded the streets of a Qinghai province township where most of the homes had been flattened. Students were reportedly buried inside several damaged schools.

Paramilitary police used shovels to dig through the rubble in the town, footage on state television showed. Officials said excavators were not available and with most of the roads leading to the nearest airport damaged, equipment and rescuers would have a hard time reaching the area. Hospitals were overwhelmed, many lacking even the most basic supplies, and doctors were in short supply.

Downed phone lines, strong winds and frequent aftershocks also hindered rescue efforts, said Wu Yong, commander of the local army garrison, who said the death toll "may rise further as lots of houses collapsed."

With many people forced outside, the provincial government said it was rushing 5,000 tents and 100,000 coats and blankets to the mountainous region, at around 13,000 feet (4,000 meters) -high and where night time temperatures plunge below freezing.

Workers were racing to release water from a reservoir in the disaster area where a crack had formed after the quake to prevent a flood, according to the China Earthquake Administration.

The Wednesday quake, which struck at 7:49 a.m. local time (2349 GMT, 7:49 p.m. EDT), was centered on Yushu county, in the southern part of Qinghai, near Tibet, with a population of about 100,000, mostly herders and farmers.

The USGS recorded six temblors in less than three hours, all but one registering 5.0 or higher. The China Earthquake Networks Center measured the largest quake's magnitude at 7.1. Qinghai averages more than five earthquakes a year of at least magnitude 5.0, according to the official Xinhua News Agency. They normally do not cause much damage in the sparsely populated province.

Click on the link for the full article

On the Eyjafjallajökull eruption in Iceland-the ash cloud is having a dreadful effect on air traffic in Europe. This website-http://www.flightradar24.com/-shows real-time air traffic in Europe 24/7. The yellow "X's" represent closed airports, which, as I post this is all airports in Europe-I have learned that some are being used for emergency evacuation and services but no commercial flights.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.