• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

So....Can I come back? And stay this time? :)

Jugband McGillicuddy

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Rival Allegiance
Alma Mater
Marshall
Like a lot of BGO membership, I spent a number of years over at ES. I found it to be a one-stop shop for every bit of information I needed to get through my day; Redskins or otherwise.

I also found an intense sense of community, which I frequently described (accurately at the time, IMO) as "family."

But that sense is gone. It's been replaced by anger, insult, frustration, and hostility. There are very few rational discussions there anymore. They've been replaced by excessive wingnutism, a complete failure to consider the other poster's point of view, and personal attacks.

ES has been a cyclical beast over the years, and I hope for their sake, their current cycle will end sooner, rather than later.

But it's no longer the place for me. I should have realized that when the people I respected most on ES started this place, and many of the posters who have my respect came over here as well, that the net result wasn't going to be positive for ES. I nosed around over here a little bit, but missed the opportunity to have running discussions about topics because BGO's membership was just getting off the ground.

I should have been more patient. I should have helped grow BGO. I should have offered my support to Mark and to John, and to the rest of this merry band. I've come to regret not doing so, and would like to humbly request that I be allowed to join the "cool kids" permanently.

I feel like something of a prodigal Skin. Not literally of course, but in terms of my message board membership, I knew where I belonged. I just had to fall flat on my face before realizing that. (And no, they didn't ban me, so this isn't a measure taken out of necessity. I know someone was gonna ask. :) )

I hope y'all won't mind a well-meaning prodigal son returning. Just promise me you won't slay the fatted hog.

HTTR/HTST,
HH

Man, no worries at all about any of that stuff. Be welcome.

We've said it before, we'll say it again ...

In addition to providing an outlet for burgundy and gold obsessions, we are committed to three basic principles:

1. Providing a comprehensive, satisfying experience for fans of the Washington Redskins.

2. Fostering and encouraging a sense of community and tone of mutual respect.

3. Giving our members good old-fashioned customer service.

BGO was created for Redskins fans who appreciate adult sensibilities like common sense, reason, and the fact that passion and civility need not be mutually exclusive. We are Redskins fans—loud , proud and unapologetic. We are also grownups. If that combination appeals to you, we cordially invite you to consider BGO as home to your burgundy and gold obsession.

It will be our honor to serve you.

Hail.
Couple more thoughts ... not directed at HH or anyone in particular but the interweb at large:

The guys who built this place all happen to share a common ES bond. It was and to varying degrees remains a part of our lives ... and we all have definite opinions about what it was, what it became, why, and what our relationship with it will be going forward. What we really do not want to do is forge an adversarial relationship (and that is true not just in regard to ES, but any and all other Redskins community sites out there). We have a lot of great memories and great friends there, and forming BGO was not about "replacing" ES or any other site, it was about offering an alternative.

I still go to ES on a regular basis ... it remains the only place on the web you can get Redskins news before it happens. ;) And there are still a lot of very knowledgeable, passionate and delightful people posting there. We just wanted to create a slightly less frantic, less adversarial, more level-headed alternative for fans to whom that kind of atmosphere is important.

We also want to reiterate that BGO is not simply ES Redux. We openly welcome any and all Redskins fans (and even fans not so fortunate as to root for the burgundy and gold) interested in what we're offering ... be they vets and forum leaders from existing sites, free agents who frequent a number of them, or people who may not have ever joined a community site before.

We're kind of like America ... aren't many of us who can truly claim to be "natives" ... we've pretty much all come from somewhere else. :)

What drew me into the web 10 years ago was finding ES in its early days, but it wasn't about the name at the top of the page. It was about the people I found there, the intelligence and passion, the sense that I'd stumbled on a place that was somehow "different" from what I'd always thought the web and "chat rooms" and "message boards" were all about.

If anyone who stumbles in our doors feels BGO offers even a taste of that ... consider jumping in and helping us see if we're kidding ourselves in the belief that you really can build a better mousetrap ... and do it without demeaning the competition.

Sorry to get all preachy. I do that sometimes ...

Last edited:
Great to have you here - always - HH. And what Om said. Every messageboard has a culture all it's own. And it's not a static thing. In my mind, it's something to be nurtured, protected, encouraged. That's our primary goal here is quality. Guys and gals of your caliber are what help us keep this ship pointed in the direction of the beautiful open seas and away from those rocks.

Glad to see you here :cheers:

Last edited:
Like a lot of BGO membership, I spent a number of years over at ES. I found it to be a one-stop shop for every bit of information I needed to get through my day; Redskins or otherwise.

I also found an intense sense of community, which I frequently described (accurately at the time, IMO) as "family."

But that sense is gone. It's been replaced by anger, insult, frustration, and hostility. There are very few rational discussions there anymore. They've been replaced by excessive wingnutism, a complete failure to consider the other poster's point of view, and personal attacks.

ES has been a cyclical beast over the years, and I hope for their sake, their current cycle will end sooner, rather than later.

But it's no longer the place for me. I should have realized that when the people I respected most on ES started this place, and many of the posters who have my respect came over here as well, that the net result wasn't going to be positive for ES. I nosed around over here a little bit, but missed the opportunity to have running discussions about topics because BGO's membership was just getting off the ground.

I should have been more patient. I should have helped grow BGO. I should have offered my support to Mark and to John, and to the rest of this merry band. I've come to regret not doing so, and would like to humbly request that I be allowed to join the "cool kids" permanently.

I feel like something of a prodigal Skin. Not literally of course, but in terms of my message board membership, I knew where I belonged. I just had to fall flat on my face before realizing that. (And no, they didn't ban me, so this isn't a measure taken out of necessity. I know someone was gonna ask. :) )

I hope y'all won't mind a well-meaning prodigal son returning. Just promise me you won't slay the fatted hog.

HTTR/HTST,
HH

It's going on two years since I was banished so remind me..............

Are you a commie?:laugh:

Good to see ya

Not a commie, Sarge. I'm definitely to the left of you, but then again, who isn't? :cool4:

And as far as my comments about ES go, it wasn't my intent to put them down, or to create any hard feelings. It's just become something that doesn't suit me, personally, the way it used to. There are 90,000 people who disagree with me though, so they must be doing something right.

Going forward, I'll keep my thoughts on ES to myself. Skins fans are Skins fans, regardless of what outlet we choose to express that. Sorry if what I said earlier came out the wrong way.

Anyway, thanks to all for the kind welcome. I look forward to reconnecting with some old friends, and making plenty of new ones. Good to be here.

Just to be clear, HH, my comments were not a dig or "admonition" on you at all. That "other site" is simply a subject that has come up a few times given many of us have some history there ... and as a site we've kind of adopted a live and let live approach to the question. You aren't the first or last who will bring up other sites here ... and that's cool. We're just committed to the staying on the high road ... or at least as much as possible given we're all just a bunch of internet geek fanboys at heart. :)

Just to be clear, HH, my comments were not a dig or "admonition" on you at all. That "other site" is simply a subject that has come up a few times given many of us have some history there ... and as a site we've kind of adopted a live and let live approach to the question. You aren't the first or last who will bring up other sites here ... and that's cool. We're just committed to the staying on the high road ... or at least as much as possible given we're all just a bunch of internet geek fanboys at heart. :)

Understood, my friend. You made yourself perfectly clear, and I certainly took no offense. :cheers:

I think that once I've spent a little more time here, I'll have a better feel for things. And I'll try to mostly read until that point. I do have to say that from what I've seen so far, your goal of quality posts is being met. I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far.

Good to hear...but you certainly don't need to 'restrain' yourself. Post away brother. We know who you are :)

Let us know if you have any questions about BGO, or if there is anything we can do to make it more enjoyable :cheers:

Good to hear...but you certainly don't need to 'restrain' yourself. Post away brother. We know who you are :)

Let us know if you have any questions about BGO, or if there is anything we can do to make it more enjoyable :cheers:

Much appreciated.

I, uh, I could use a beer. A home-brew, not that cheap stuff. :)

If you have enough money we will let you stay

aaaah...the good ol boys are startin to pile in.

next thing you know we'll have nascar threads and all.

So we can all cheer on JGR even though they drive them there foreign cars!

Okay, you're allowed back, but enough of this Nascar talk.

bustedtees.d16765f225456fb9e7a87d47641fb960.jpg

;)

MikeSr610 said:
i cant stand joe gibbs.

I feel really bad having to quote you, knowing that you'll be instantly disowned by anyone with half a brain. But you did ask.

As for me (not having half a brain) I'm going to give you a chance to explain what in the name of all that is good and holy you were talking about, and THEN disown you. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.