• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Skins best OL'man ever. Not who you might think.

Jugband McGillicuddy

The Pro Bowler
Reaction score
Military Branch
Army
Rival Allegiance
Alma Mater
Marshall
I had a facebook chat with a good friend the other night, during which I asserted that Raleigh McKenzie is the Redskins' best offensive lineman of all time.

As I told him, I believe we've had better players than Rollo at each of the individual line spots, but when you talk about versatility, strength, and the ability to play at a Pro-Bowl level at each position, I think it's tough to make an argument against him.

The guy had an uncanny ability to master the footwork required to play both sides of the line. He could get low and get leverage against a defensive tackle, and he could dance outside to close off the quickest of pass-rushing ends. To play center too is just unheard of. He could slam the ball back, and have his feet and hands in perfect position without missing a beat. Rarely do you see a guard who can move to center well, let alone a guy who could play tackle too.

Raleigh wasn't just a fill-in or a stop-gap either. He was a Pro-Bowl caliber player at EVERY position on the line. And frankly, I think he was easily the most underrated player on his teams; despite the credit we diehards give him.

I had the privilege of speaking with him several times while I was covering Skins camps as a sports reporter for my local news paper. He was very soft-spoken, incredibly polite, and very gracious to this small-town punk kid who was attempting to cover an NFL team.

Does my personal experience sway my judgment in his favor a bit? Probably. And I fully expect some serious argument to the contrary, as far as the pedestal I've placed him on. But let's have the discussion. Where does he fit on your list of the Skins' best lineman? Maybe we could even come up with an All-Time O-Line Depth Chart or something. Regardless, let's take a moment and discuss the unit that's always been a strength for us...the big boys up front.

I was thinking Lachey too, but if we'd had him for most of his career instead of the tail end, I think Randy Thomas was better than Raleigh McKenzie.

Russ Grimm. Bottom line - he was nasty. Just plain nasty.

Grimm was the most consistently excellent over time but for that brief 2-3 year period when he was healthy here Jim Lachey was the entire package. He was big, strong and quick off the ball.

I don't think he surrendered a sack in 1991 and that's saying something with the defensive ends and rushing LBs that were in the NFC East at the time.

I remember a guy that we traded/ cut/ released that was drafted really high he signed with the Dolphins. I try to recall stuff like this without cheating...obviously it's an epic fail on my part more often than not. I can't remember his name:hammer:

I remember a guy that we traded/ cut/ released that was drafted really high he signed with the Dolphins. I try to recall stuff like this without cheating...obviously it's an epic fail on my part more often than not. I can't remember his name:hammer:

Was he drafted by the Dolphins or us ?
I have no idea who he was. I'd like to know, and I don't mind if you "cheat" to find out :)

samuels was overrated, he was a solid LT but he wasnt an elite LT. Lachey was a guy who had he not blown up his shoulder, would be in any all time LT discussion not just a redskins discussion, in 91 Lachey played as good a season as any LT in history, not only not allowing a sack but I believe he only allowed a handful of pressures and he graded out almost 100% in the run game, something unheard of. I remember BUgel saying he had never seen anything like it, and given our proud Oline history at the time? thats huge.

samuels had the misfortune of being in the same era as Johnathan Ogden, Orlando pace and willie roaf, he had trouble against speed rushers and although he was a very solid player and good run blocker, he was not a guy you can say was an elite LT, he was one step below that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.