• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Sitting is KILLING you!

I'm ****ed :laugh:

Seriously though, for a lot of people it isn't realistic to not sit down a lot. If you have certain issues like age, physical problems, etc. sitting is almost a requirement more often than not.

I know that I personally need to get off of my ass a lot more than I do, but it's difficult when you can't stand or walk around for too long without being in pain.

The one thing this site got wrong, was trying to link increased sitting times with obesity. Using that to say sitting is making us fatter over the last 20 years is absurd, because they fail to mention that also in the last 20 years, a lot more of what we eat is processed garbage, there are more fast food restaurants, we are busier so we have to eat on the run a lot, and there are more convenient stores and less people playing sports due to video games/more tv choices/internet/etc. Personally, I think those probably account for over 90% of the weight increase per person in that time span, making sitting too long a negligible factor in comparison.

You gotta love the fear inducing graphics on that site though, I'm a fan :D

LOL! I am actually surprised El hasn't gone off yet on a tirade about how Obama is lying about the effects of sitting and what not. :)

lanky...you know better than to bate me with an Obama comment!!!!

on the other hand...I must confess.....I don't even listen to the man anymore....not trustworthy enough.

great...as an IT guy who doesnt see himself leaving the industry any time soon I love the fact that even going to the gym isnt really helping.

Well, I think taking a break and walking around the office or stretching at your desk once an hour or so really helps. I try to do this anyway, but forget a lot.

great...as an IT guy who doesnt see himself leaving the industry any time soon I love the fact that even going to the gym isnt really helping.

my biggest problem is this stupid ****ing belly..cut back on drinking, eat better but because im behind a desk im not burning maximum calories.

**** it..im doing roids!

Uh, Mike....maybe this might help?

Situp-smiley.gif

you got joke serv...i do plenty of crunches, plenty of side bends, im on the eliptical, treadmill and running with my dog more than enough.

my problem is JUST what I said...im not active enough at work and I sit behind this desk for hours at a time. it ends up just settling in my mid-section.
it sounds like we have the same problem Mike. Even when I was very active and working out all the time, I still had the gut.

I changed my diet, I started sleeping semi-normal amount of time, I quit drinking soda and alcohol, etc. The result? I look like a buff guy with a floppy gut. Not just a minor gut, I look half pregnant. Meanwhile, I have the thick and defined jock neck, I have cut arms and legs, I don't have a double chin or chubby fingers/face/etc., but I have a big ass stomach and early signs of moobs.

I just don't get it. I'm convinced that you are either gonna have a beer gut or you aren't, and there isn't **** you can do about it. The whole sit up and core muscle workout approach does nothing either. I got plenty of that in the Army, lost a ton of weight, got cut, and still couldn't get y gut to slim down.

So I said **** it, why make the effort to change something that obviously can't be changed?

while El is otherwise engaged: We need a government program to ensure we all exercise enough. they're working on the eating part so we don't have to worry about that!

and yet.....the predictions continue to be that...on average...we will all live to an older age.

how does that work? a gov worker comes out to your house and enforces tht you do a certain amount of exercise per day? or do you have to go to a governemnt mandated facility and check in each day for workout?

don't know...I'll let Obama use all the unemployed Gulf oil workers to figure out the plan.

you asked!!! but were the sarcastic idea to be followed up on -> you can bet the implmentation plan would start with federal agencies and public schools!!!!

and yet.....the predictions continue to be that...on average...we will all live to an older age.

I agree. Every couple years there's a new something we have to avoid or we'll die. This year it's ... sitting down. Ok.

I think it's a good idea to stand up and walk around every once in awhile, but until people start dying from tragic sitting accidents I'm not going to worry too much about it. Everything balances itself out in the end. We all die from something, after all.

lol...touche

uh oh. I'm immediately suspicious. Mike and I aren't locking heads and trying to crush one another.

what's up shipmate? when's the hammer gonna drop?! I can't handle the stress of waiting!!!

while waiting...hope it's a beautiful day in San Dog. I absolutely love it there. You're fortunate as all get out to have sunk roots there. I just can't afford to live there.

uh oh. I'm immediately suspicious. Mike and I aren't locking heads and trying to crush one another.

what's up shipmate? when's the hammer gonna drop?! I can't handle the stress of waiting!!!

Its the imminent threat of this new sitting pandemic - it has everyone's mind focused somewhere else!

Lanky, this is a conspiracy. You just didn't realize it's a Redneck conspiracy to get the liberal bloggers off their computers and outside so they won't continue to buy into the liberal blather that is drowning the interwebz and out into the real world! :eclipsee_Victoria:

I mean look at the graphics, only a redneck could come up with that. :laugh:

:antlers: :rifle:

Lanky, this is a conspiracy. You just didn't realize it's a Redneck conspiracy to get the liberal bloggers off their computers and outside so they won't continue to buy into the liberal blather that is drowning the interwebz and out into the real world! :eclipsee_Victoria:

I mean look at the graphics, only a redneck could come up with that. :laugh:

:antlers: :rifle:

Wow, El, the most amazing thing just happened! I was sitting here reading and all of a sudden a childhood memory burst into my mind.

It was of my dad.

It was something he did every time he cooked out on the grill.

He had this habit, you see-it used to drive me to absolute distraction-if the charcoal wasn't getting white enough fast enough, well...he...(I remember the fear now too Eek!)...he used to take the charcoal lighter fluid and squirt it on the hot coals. I used to cringe in abject terror waiting for him to go up in flames...I'd heard the stories....

I don't know why that memory popped up so suddenly like that...it just did.

:instigate::rolleyes:

:bucktooth:

Wow, El, the most amazing thing just happened! I was sitting here reading and all of a sudden a childhood memory burst into my mind.

It was of my dad.

It was something he did every time he cooked out on the grill.

He had this habit, you see-it used to drive me to absolute distraction-if the charcoal wasn't getting white enough fast enough, well...he...(I remember the fear now too Eek!)...he used to take the charcoal lighter fluid and squirt it on the hot coals. I used to cringe in abject terror waiting for him to go up in flames...I'd heard the stories....

I don't know why that memory popped up so suddenly like that...it just did.

:instigate::rolleyes:

:bucktooth:

I have read through my post and your's for about 15 minutes trying to get an idea of how that post could have possibly struck such a childhood memory. Are you saying rednecks like fire? :elvis:

If that horrified you as a child, you should be around when we arrive at our campsite on the Upper Potomac in WV when my buddy Dwayne uses gasoline to get the campfire started! :laugh:

Uh..I was actually trying to make a kind of subtle reference to your comment to Lanky by comparing it to pouring lighter fluid on hot coals.

Guess my attempt at clever subtle humor wasn't as good as I hoped.

Uh..I was actually trying to make a kind of subtle reference to your comment to Lanky by comparing it to pouring lighter fluid on hot coals.

Guess my attempt at clever subtle humor wasn't as good as I hoped.

:rotflmao:

I am nowhere close to smart enough to make that connection Serv!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.