• Welcome to BGO! We know you will have questions as you become familiar with the software. Please take a moment to read our New BGO User Guide which will give you a great start. If you have questions, post them in the Feedback and Tech Support Forum, or feel free to message any available Staff Member.

Since Cousins isn't worth a 1st rounder, how about a package trade for a 1st ?

Fear The Spear

The Legend
Reaction score
I don't think this has been brought up.
What other player could we add in the package with Cousins, that combined with Cousins, would total a 1st round value ?
I'd really like a 1st round pick.
Any other player that we could part with, that would make it palatable for both trade partners ?
Or even throw in another lower round pick or 2, to make our offer worth a 1st round pick ?

The draft is so deep this year to the point where many of the second and third rounders (projected) are as good as most first rounders. The only trading that we should do is to move down a bit in rounds two and three and pick up three or four second day picks - maybe extra fifth and sixth rounders somewhere in those deals.

I've thought about this, but I don't see any clear answer. We don't have a lot of talent on this team right now. And the more I think about the Cousins situation, the less I believe we can trade him.

I guess we could go into the season with Rex as a backup again, and that we could sign some veteran midway through the season to fill in. But that could get pretty ugly if that vet then had to lead us for the next several seasons.

If we can get two 2nds for Cousins, then trade back from 34th overall and get two more 2nds... we'd have four picks in one of the deepest drafts of recent memory. I'd be okay with that.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

I would be blown away if someone offered us two 2nd round picks for Cousins...but I don't see any way an offer like that happens.

Moss was right. Shanahan set Cousins up to fail over those last 3 games. The season was over and the lack of support made him look poor at times.

His value would be higher if Griffin had been allowed to finish the season.

But that was Mike.

He's more like Haynesworth than people thought - if he didn't get his way he was going to tear it all down and leave things in tatters.

Selfish bastard.

Helu would be the only person you could package for a 1st imho.... and it would have to be a Cleveland. Kyle Shanahan walking into Cleveland and not having a decent QB or a legit starting RB, and having a history with both, could lock up 2 starting positions for them with 1 pick. I dont see how we get any more then a 3rd or 4th for Cousins.

Helu would be the only person you could package for a 1st imho.... and it would have to be a Cleveland. Kyle Shanahan walking into Cleveland and not having a decent QB or a legit starting RB, and having a history with both, could lock up 2 starting positions for them with 1 pick. I dont see how we get any more then a 3rd or 4th for Cousins.

Helu was actually the player I silently had in mind.

Like all fans we greatly overrate our players. Cousins, so far, is nothing more than a young QB with some decent games. You can make excuses for why he hasn't looked any better than average but the bottom line is, when you get your chances you have to take max advantage of the opportunities. He really hasn't done that. So he's viewed as a guy with some potential. Which is all anyone can really claim him to be. The fact that Kyle Shanahan doesn't appear desperate to hitch his wagon to Cousins may also indicate we overrate his current abilities.

It is a QB desperate league... All it takes is one team who thinks he is their best option to overpay.

It is a QB desperate league... All it takes is one team who thinks he is their best option to overpay.

Of course that's all it takes. But I'm willing to bet none of them is willing to give up higher than a 2nd rounder for the guy - and that may be an over-estimation.

Of course that's all it takes. But I'm willing to bet none of them is willing to give up higher than a 2nd rounder for the guy - and that may be an over-estimation.

I personally don't think Gruden will trade him, as a good backup QB is vital. But after seeing some of the trades we've seen, I'll never be surprised.

Keim is now reporting that barring an insanely high offer, that the Redskins wouldn't even think of trading Cousins--per a source.

Now, this next name won't be popular, and I'm not suggesting it, but Morris could likely bring a first rounder. Maybe even more. A first and a fourth?

Helu probably isn't reliable enough to count on all by himself, but he more closely resembles the type of RB that Gruden has had in the past. Think Giovani Bernard. Gruden took him with the 37th pick last season.

It wouldn't be popular, but if we really wanted a stud NT for example, that could be a way to obtain one.

Again, not suggesting it. But he's one of few on our team with that type of value.

Last edited:
If the Raiders (the only team dumb enough I can think of right now) are willing to give us a first for a RB, you have to do it. I love AlMo to death and would hate to see him go, but a first is a first. I don't see anyone being that dumb though. RBs are becoming increasingly disposable.

I have to say, trading Alfred would break my heart. First player from my alma mater... and he's AWESOME. :(

Also, unless Gruden has his eye on someone specific, I'd hate to rely on just Helu. Maybe he'd be better as the feature in a new scheme, but to me, he's a 3rd down, COP back at this point. Not to mention the Achilles injuries, which could flare up at any time.

I'm glad you aren't suggesting it. Because that would be the dumbest move in the history of dumb NFL moves!

If the Raiders (the only team dumb enough I can think of right now) are willing to give us a first for a RB, you have to do it. I love AlMo to death and would hate to see him go, but a first is a first. I don't see anyone being that dumb though. RBs are becoming increasingly disposable.
McKenzie ain't the fool Davis was.

I don't know that you're going to find too many people to package up for a 1st round pick in a trade when you're coming off a 3-13 season.

I'm curious to know what the dynamic is inside the redskins front office though, not what they're publicly saying. Is the goal to get Cousins out of Washington? Is it to take advantage of the market and get him for 'the right price', but otherwise keep him? Maybe the goal is not really move him until next year, when his deal is about to expire?

All of that would weigh in on what reasonable compensation would be. If they're trying to get him out of here immediately, a 2nd or a 3rd makes sense, I doubt they'll get a first unless they package him with someone we can't really afford to lose...

If they're a little more flexible, they might get a kings ransom by waiting until the start of training camp when someone loses their starter and finds themselves with no capable backup and a completely dried up free agent market... It happens every year...

If we didn't have Robert, and Kirk was on another team, with the exact body of work that he has now, and there was even a hint that we were gonna offer a 2nd, or even a high 3rd, most of us would be saying we need our head examined. And they'd be right.

Kirk has more value to us as our backup. And more potential to bring a higher price, by filling that role for another year.

Show good in preseason. Maybe a mop-up game or two, and who knows.

Right now, his value isn't much greater than a mid 3rd, to the 4th we spent on him.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Help Users
As we enjoy today's conversations, let's remember our dear friends 'Docsandy', Sandy Zier-Teitler, and 'Posse Lover', Michael Huffman, who would dearly love to be here with us today! We love and miss you guys ❤

You haven't joined any rooms.

You haven't joined any rooms.